Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Counter-steering explained... (Read 446 times)
Dave Sisk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Counter-steering explained...
09/24/12 at 21:54:26

I explained this to someone else this way, so I figured I'd post it here.  Smiley

To get the bike to turn right:
You don't actually lean the bike at speed...you roll it (like an airplane). To make the bike turn to the right, you have to roll it to the right.  To roll the bike to the right, you have to move the wheels out from underneath the bike to the left...then the bike itself automatically rolls/leans to the right. To move the wheels out from under the bike to the left, you turn the steering wheel slightly and momentarily toward the left.  This moves the wheels out from under the bike to the left, rolling the bike (ie. leaning it) right, which makes it turn right.

To get the bike to turn left:
To turn the bike left, you have to roll it to the left.  To roll it to the left, you move the wheels out from under the bike to the right, which rolls (leans) the bike left, making it turn left.

To end the turn, you turn the handle bars slightly and momentarily toward the inside of the turn...this moves the wheels of the bike back directly underneath the bike, causing it to stand upright and go straight.

The key point here is that the bike doesn't actually lean...it rolls around it's horizontal axis (the horizontal axis being line you're looking down when riding down the road).  The bike doesn't lean with the wheels in the same path...the wheels move out from under the bike to the opposite direction of the turn, which rotates the bike around the horizontal axis of travel.  Turning the handle bars the opposite direction from the turn is what moves the wheels out from under the bike.

Cheers,
Dave

IP Logged
Jeff Jopling

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Counter-steering explained...
Reply #1 - 09/24/12 at 22:06:55

I have found many times at a higher speed and sharper turn I have had some problems counter steering in enough time to make the turn (that is without drastically reducing speed) is this something that just comes with more riding experience or should this method work in all situations. Maybe I am turing the opposite direction just too long haha.

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #2 - 09/24/12 at 22:40:44

The faster you're going, the wider your bike will need to go to make a turn - the bike has to counteract more force the faster you go.

IP Logged
LouSiana

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Hannover, Germany
Reply #3 - 09/24/12 at 23:16:10

All forces rise in a sqare factor as you double your speed.

If you are going 30 mph and have to push and pull the handle bar to turn -with, let's say 3 lbs-, then you want to do the same route with double speed (60 mph) you have to push and pull the handle bar with forces of 9 lbs (=3² lbs). And also the centrifugal forces rise in a square factor. It is all caused by mass inertia.

So it is not unusual to go to a turn and have to have braking a lot, because the speed in that turn is definetely limited to the total of weight, maximum allowed angle of the bike before footpegs get in audible contact to the surface and all this stuff.
Still it is a matter of skill to go down that far the footpegs get scratching the road. It's only math's done by the brain (the brain always does, but in a linear way, not digital) and some goooooood experience which speed that specific turn will allow.

IP Logged
Kilgore Trout
YaBB Newbies

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #4 - 09/25/12 at 00:11:19

Jeff, as someone who is pretty new to motorcycling but who raced mountain bikes for years, I think what you are feeling is pretty normal. The important thing is not to get too hung up in the "turn left to go right, turn right to go left" paradox that everyone likes to throw around. If you can ride a bike, you instinctively know how to counter steer. You just have to adapt that instinct to a two-wheeled vehicle with a lot more mass.

Dave's explanation is really good, but you have to think about what it means when you actually set up for a corner.
1) When you start to counter steer into a corner, your wheels swing out from under you away from the corner.
2) When you counter steer into a corner, it takes time and distance from the point where you initiate the turn by counter steering, to the point where the bike actually starts to turn.

When you say you're having trouble counter steering in time to make a curve, it sounds to me like you are just turning in too late. In doing so, you are making your trajectory to the apex of the corner a lot sharper than it needs to be. Remember: if you start counter steering at the point where you need to be turning in to the apex, you are turning in too late. Counter steer so that your wheels swing out away from the corner so that they will then accelerate into the apex at your intended turn in point.

I like that you use the term "roll" instead of "lean," Dave. I like to think about the center of my bike being at my hips, and all movement centers around that point. Hey, you're bike is a lady. Sometimes you gotta dance with her a little bit  Wink

"If they give you ruled paper, write the other way." -Juan Ramòn Jiménez
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #5 - 09/25/12 at 00:55:54

Kilgore Trout wrote on 09/25/12 at 00:11:19:
Jeff, as someone who is pretty new to motorcycling but who raced mountain bikes for years, I think what you are feeling is pretty normal. The important thing is not to get too hung up in the "turn left to go right, turn right to go left" paradox that everyone likes to throw around. If you can ride a bike, you instinctively know how to counter steer. You just have to adapt that instinct to a two-wheeled vehicle with a lot more mass.

Unfortunately that couldn't be further from the truth. When you weigh 1/3 of the bike, your weight shifting only has so much effect and the faster you go, the less of an effect your weight has. After that, you need to be very proactive with the bars. If all you're doing is putting around town you may get away with the weight-shift technique but when it comes time to navigate a real curve at real speeds, you better be ready to force those bars the wrong way or you're going off the road.

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #6 - 09/25/12 at 04:30:42

@Jeff-  Do you look through your turns?  Turn just your head, not your shoulders, this will go a long way in making your turns smoother till you get more experience in the saddle   Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #7 - 09/25/12 at 05:07:22

Countersteering needs no explanation.  You can not not do it.  It you lean down into a turn slowly, you don't countersteer very much.  If you want to yank the bike down into a turn rapidly, you WILL countersteer a lot.  You don't have to think about it.  Just fuggedabowdid.

For many millions of folks around the planet, no one ever mentioned to them about countersteering, and they operate their scooters and motorcycles billions of miles per day with no knowledge of countersteering at all.  

It is as inherent in operating a two-wheeled vehicle as is putting one foot in front the other for a two-legged mammal.  No one ever needed to tell you to stick out one foot, now balance on that foot while you bring the other foot up past the first foot and now balance on that other foot.  Now that you have that done, bring the first foot up forward again past the second foot,..........  You don't think about what each foot is doing when you are walking.  It's the same with countersteering.  You don't think about it.  it just happens.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #8 - 09/25/12 at 05:11:00

Here's another analogy.  You are driving along in your cage.  You feel like being a cool guy today, so you are holding the steering wheel with only one hand at the bottom of the wheel.

You want to turn left.  Do you have to analyze the situation, or do you just subconsciously move your hand to the right?

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 09/25/12 at 06:06:39

On a Yamaha RD400, took a high speed run at a corner on a road that had a 60 MPH limit. First pass, inside lane, right turn, On Camber, went thru pretty hot, cant remember how fast now, but it was well over 60. Now,at this time, all the experience I had was dirt bikes & bicycles & Id never even owned a motorcycle, so, I hade very little experience,.
That first turn felt good, so, I went back at it a little hotter, left turn now, outside lane of a 2 lane, the crown in the road made it off camber. I could not get it leaned over & was about to go off into the woods, so, I decided I would simply steer it thru the turn. I started to turn the bars left & it started standing up. I was closing fast on a fatal crash & I knew it. Since trying to drive it left wasnt gonna work, I only had one more thing to try. Force the bike down by turning right. I am here to type this, because that worked. When I got thru the turn & on the straight, I stopped as quickly as I could & put the stand down right in the middle of that road & got off & shook,, In Louisiana, you go offroad at any kind of speed & youre hitting a tree,, & thats either a fatality or worse. I was running at close to 100, no helmet( a helmet woulda just made identification easier)..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 09/25/12 at 06:19:20

Gyrobob wrote on 09/25/12 at 05:11:00:
Here's another analogy.  You are driving along in your cage.  You feel like being a cool guy today, so you are holding the steering wheel with only one hand at the bottom of the wheel.

You want to turn left.  Do you have to analyze the situation, or do you just subconsciously move your hand to the right?

I forget where I first heard (read) of this concept.....but I do remember the question was something like:  "When you come to a right hand corner on your motorcycle.....you:  1)  Turn right. 2) Turn left. 3) Lean right.  4) Lean left.

Well I got the answer wrong, as I had never thought about it and just rode out of instinct.  I could not imagine the concept of turning left to go right.  I don't know if the use of the word "countersteer" is confusing or what causes the fueds over what is going on.  I have since discovered that if I am going straight down the highway and I push gently on the the left handlebar......the bike leans over and goes left.....and if during that turn I pull on the left handlebar.....the bike stands back up.  If anyone that doesn't believe that this happens would just give this simple test a try.....I believe they would understand that they are intinctively doing this without thought.  Leaning, shifting weight on footpegs, etc. can have some influence - but most of the turning is done by putting pressure on the bars and allowing the bike to do the work.  My scrawny 156 pound body had very little affect on the 800 pound Harley I rented this summer - and the direction that I pushed or pulled on the handlebars is what made the bike go around corners and stand back up when exiting the corner.

For those disbelievers.......just try this next time you are riding.  Find a straight stretch of road and take your left hand off the bars (you can leave your right hand on the throttle grip and maintain your speed).....then take your left index finger and push lightly forward on the left handlebar.  The bike is going to turn to the left even though you are pushing the bar the other direction.  Maybe this is what confuses people......you may not be steering to the right.....but you are certainly putting pressure on the bars in that direction.  When the bike is leaning over and making the left turn.....if you pull on the left handlebar....the bike will then stand up and return to the straight line.  If you clear your head and actually feel what you are doing while turning.....you will feel that you are pushing on the bars in the opposite direction that the bike actually goes.  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #11 - 09/25/12 at 06:26:50

We teach countersteering as "push steering" at the MTP I part-time Instruct with and try not to get into any of the cool physics involved when explaining the concept to students. Basically, we describe it thus; a motorcycle is a single-track vehicle and so at any speeds above a walking pace, to steer it thru a turn or to swerve around an obstacle, you push (apply pressure) on the left handlebar to go left and push on the right handlebar to go right. No more explanation required (usually) ... this is then demonstrated to the students by Instructors running a couple of training Bikes thru a slalom course, swinging the Bikes wide around the cones to show the effect of the neccessary lean (bank) initiated by the "push" on the appropriate handlebar ...

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Dave Sisk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #12 - 09/25/12 at 07:03:12

Wow...I had no idea this post would create so much (good) discussion.  I agree the simply way to think of it is "push right turn right...push left turn left".

I think lots of people countersteer instinctively without even realizing it. I think for newbies, it's really good to understand the whole countersteer concept though because a newbie may not *have* those instincts yet.  

Any way you slice it, it's good to know and practice.  It's much harder to swerve around a big unexpected pot hole by putting weight on one of the footpegs...if you consciously know how to countersteer, it's much easier to just flick the bike around an obstacle. I'm a newbie too (from the spring), so particularly obstacle avoidance is just starting to become second-nature to me.  Wink

I like the "dances with bikes" phrase, btw.  Grin

Cheers!
Dave

IP Logged
Dave Sisk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #13 - 09/25/12 at 07:03:52

Jeff Jopling wrote on 09/24/12 at 22:06:55:
I have found many times at a higher speed and sharper turn I have had some problems counter steering in enough time to make the turn (that is without drastically reducing speed) is this something that just comes with more riding experience or should this method work in all situations. Maybe I am turing the opposite direction just too long haha.

Start earlier!  Wink  Since the wheels have to swing out from under the bike and the bike has to roll along it's axis of travel, it's a few extra milliseconds before it actually starts to turn.  I *think* starting the whole she-bang earlier will get you a smoother turn.  You're not counter-steering too long...you are counter-steering too late.

Dave

IP Logged
Dave Sisk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #14 - 09/25/12 at 07:10:38

Gyrobob wrote on 09/25/12 at 05:11:00:

Yes, but only because it's already second-nature. Maybe a better analogy is backing a trailer up.  Grin  Until you've gotten a lot of practice at it, it takes some conscious thought to point the trailer the right direction in reverse...you have to turn the steering wheel the opposite way, and it's not intuitive the first several times you do it.

Counter-steering a bike is already second-nature for most riders...but not for some of us newbies. We have to consciously practice it, THEN it becomes second-nature and automatic.

Dave

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 15:26:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Counter-steering explained...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.