$1.70

Front ME 880 100/90H-19 Blackwall Tire
Part #540229
$108.99

Merchandise Total: $230.96
Shipping Charge: $10.00
Order Total: $240.96

http://www.dslretorts.com/Paladin/archives/002609.html
New Tires.  Just for the record, 'cause in a year or so I'll be wondering when I got them ...24,440 miles on the odometer....

I will photo of the tires in the morning with the current mileage.....  

OF   Paladin, Please can you actually MEASURE the tread depth on your ME880 right next to the valve stem and tell us the measuring technique you figured out to do this ??

ME880 blows my mind a bit as the grooves don't cross the center line and they taper out some at the ends so I can see some potential issues with measuring the durn things accurately over the life of the tire.

Nobody has actually MEASURED a new ME880 yet, so far we have just had to use the claimed 8mm tread depth with no idea if it is real or not.

35,270 miles on the odometer -- 10,870 miles on the tires.  Measured with a ruler, end of a groove nearest to the center of the tire, within a quarter of a millimeter:

18" ruler, 47.3ish mm on the end
Good mileaage for a motorcycle tire.

« Last Edit: 10/30/12 at 10:39:59 by Paladin. »  
WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Recommended Tires
Reply #16 - 10/30/12 at 09:24:26

Spreadsheet has been updated with my new mileage and Paladin's data -- notice I have slipped from the top of the heap overall mileage wise.  

It is what it is ....
 you guys need to put in your interim mileage and tread depths to let the spreadsheet predict your total mileage and cost per mile.

(after a few hundred miles the prediction is surprisingly accurate IF you measure your tread depth at the exact same spot using a caliper)

Click on the file name directly below to see the image full size.
« Last Edit: 10/30/12 at 11:57:43 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Screenshot-10-31-12_Low_Cost_Mileage_Contest_xls_-_OpenOffice_org_Calc.jpeg

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #17 - 10/30/12 at 09:51:27

While Paladin is figuring out how to measure tread depth on his ME880 I thought I would post the ....

How to get into the spreadsheet to register your tire or to punch in your new mileage and new depth of thread .....

Go to Dropbox.com           https://www.dropbox.com/

Click on sign in: in the top right corner.

We have a shared generic Drop Box account called:  

suzukisavage@mail.com

with password:       s40boulevard

Now you click on the Public Folder when Drop Box opens up.   This will open the folder with all the shared stuff in it.  

You are looking for the Low Cost Mileage Contest.xls

Wink

Don't forget to save the spreadsheet once you are finished punching in your stuff.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #18 - 10/30/12 at 18:17:01

If you were running the stock tires ,and switched to Metzlers or any of the tires mentioned ,would you have to adjust your shocks?Thanks!

IP Logged
Borracho

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Albuquerque, NM
Reply #19 - 10/30/12 at 19:27:11

Mileage aside, What are the best handling tires? My Savage needs tires soon, currently has Dunlop 404's. They seem like really hard rubber. I am ok with buying new tires every year or two...

2004, Jardine muffler, K&N drop-in, Corbin seat, Raptor petcock and Sportster handlebars with phony ISO grips.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #20 - 10/30/12 at 19:57:01

rl153 wrote on 10/30/12 at 18:17:01:
If you were running the stock tires ,and switched to Metzlers or any of the tires mentioned ,would you have to adjust your shocks?Thanks!

That depends on how much you weigh, how big your bumps are and what your settings are at now.

I run mine up all the way to maximum pre-load, but that is me with a big tire, big bumps and a big butt.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #21 - 10/30/12 at 19:59:23

Borracho wrote on 10/30/12 at 19:27:11:
Mileage aside, What are the best handling tires? My Savage needs tires soon, currently has Dunlop 404's. They seem like really hard rubber. I am ok with buying new tires every year or two...

The only tires that have a LONG history of good mileage and good user reviews are the Metzler ME880-H series tires (the ones that hold the mileage lead of all the bike tires on the spreadsheet up above).

Be aware, until we get more data on the other tires we can't say they are the best value though, as they are pretty durn pricey and that plays against their cost per mile.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #22 - 10/31/12 at 00:11:19

Mileage aside, What are the best handling tires?

That's a pretty good question. I think I took it too much for granted my tire selection when I was on a sport bike. I always ran race take-offs. I'm not really sure what I'm gonna do now. Guess I'll cross that bridge when I get there...

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #23 - 10/31/12 at 04:49:42

Mileage aside, What are the best handling tires? My Savage needs tires soon, currently has Dunlop 404's....

Good question.

On my blog I told myself that "... the tire pressures up are Metezler's recomendations, near max, and the bike is noticably more nimble."  I remember thinking the tires were twitchy, until I realized it was more responsive.  Difference may have been the pressure or that the old tire had been slightly flattened.

Over the years on the Metezlers, I had never lost traction, 'cept maybe for a second in curve on wet over a manhole.  I don't push it in the curves since I don't like the feel of the grinding on the pegs.

WWW   IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #24 - 11/01/12 at 18:49:36

Let me clarify my question, I'm running the original tires at the original shock height. The setting is fine for bumps and my weight. If I change to Metzlers or Michelins,are the tires the same size? Or will I have to adjust the shocks?Thanks!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #25 - 11/01/12 at 22:46:37

Possibly not, it depends on how much bigger the new tire is.  

If it doesn't rub going over your local bumps, you are good.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #26 - 11/02/12 at 06:13:38

rl153 wrote on 11/01/12 at 18:49:36:
Let me clarify my question, I'm running the original tires at the original shock height. The setting is fine for bumps and my weight. If I change to Metzlers or Michelins,are the tires the same size? Or will I have to adjust the shocks?Thanks!

I went to a Metzler 140/90 and didn't have to make any adjustments to the shocks or change out bolts on the fender bolts( with stock bag supports). Some people have had to change the fender bolts and others haven't. My weight probably has a lot to do with me not having to change them out or change shock settings. I'm only 150lbs.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #27 - 11/03/12 at 06:32:59

12Bravo wrote on 11/02/12 at 06:13:38:
rl153 wrote on 11/01/12 at 18:49:36:

I went to a Metzler 140/90 and didn't have to make any adjustments to the shocks or change out bolts on the fender bolts( with stock bag supports). Some people have had to change the fender bolts and others haven't. My weight probably has a lot to do with me not having to change them out or change shock settings. I'm only 150lbs.

rl153, what size are you going to? I have Metz 145/80-15H stock size on rear with the 19 on the front It seems like they hold a little better than the Dunlop K555, but they were higher. Don't worry about adjusting stuff unless you try it out like it is. I've been riding for two years with slop in  the countershaft sprocket when I speed up or let off. Now it's vibrating, so I guess I better stop it before it wiggles the oil seal loose. Oh, I usually ride 3500+ miles a year. Been down in my back for two months so got to catch up. I would say Metzeler is best for aggressive riding, but Dunlop makes a good tire in the K555 and the Pirelli is another sure bet. Ride and learn.  Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #28 - 11/03/12 at 12:51:04

I'm not sure which size to get. I was hoping to change to something that wouldn't take much adjustment.Probably got another year on my present tires.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/01/24 at 18:43:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Recommended Tires

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.