Send Topic Print
Clutch slip cure. (Read 766 times)
buffyporson
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Clutch slip cure.
09/09/12 at 06:54:53

I have tried numerous ways to stop clutch slip on my Savage. Stronger springs, 'performance' plates, washers under springs etc. I finally think I have found something which works long term. I placed an additional plain (not friction) clutch plate in the basket. This results in a slightly thicker clutch pack which pre-tensions the springs more when everything is assembled. I put the extra plate between the inner most friction plate and the pressure disc. Shouldn't really matter where it goes though as long as it has a friction disc on one side. Results in a slightly heavy clutch action but really makes a difference during hard acceleration. I found a bunch of plain clutch plates on ebay. You only need one and they never wear out.

« Last Edit: 09/11/12 at 05:00:52 by buffyporson »  
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Re: Clutch slip cure.
Reply #1 - 09/09/12 at 11:47:21

Or wear out.

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #2 - 09/09/12 at 11:50:09

What oil are you using?

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #3 - 09/09/12 at 12:16:57

Cavi Mike wrote on 09/09/12 at 11:50:09:
What oil are you using?

A critically important question, eh?

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 09/09/12 at 13:02:29

It's a wet clutch. The wrong oil could lead to slippage. If that junk gets embedded in the friction plates it's gonna take some sanding to get it off, if you can at all.

--Steve

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 09/09/12 at 22:42:28

Gyrobob wrote on 09/09/12 at 12:16:57:
What oil are you using?

Absolutely critical question.,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #6 - 09/10/12 at 04:07:24

Who brought up oil?!  (looks at Mike and grins)

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #7 - 09/10/12 at 04:09:04

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/09/12 at 22:42:28:
Gyrobob wrote on 09/09/12 at 12:16:57:
What oil are you using?

Absolutely critical question.,

YEP

IP Logged
buffyporson
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 09/11/12 at 04:59:23

I started using cheap Walmart brand 20/50 - clutch slipped. Changed to Shell Diesel Rottela - clutch still slipped. Changed back to Walmart brand. I have also tried using the different length clutch push rods which also made no difference provided the clutch cable was adjusted correctly.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #9 - 09/11/12 at 05:05:25

buffyporson wrote on 09/11/12 at 04:59:23:
I started using cheap Walmart brand 20/50 - clutch slipped. Changed to Shell Diesel Rottela - clutch still slipped. Changed back to Walmart brand. I have also tried using the different length clutch push rods which also made no difference provided the clutch cable was adjusted correctly.

The oil is def an issue here.   Depending on how long you ran that CAR oil in your bike will decide on what needs to be done.   If it wasn't very long several flushes with a non-friction modifier oil will wash all that crap outta your clutch.  Now if you have been running it for awhile, you will have to take apart the clutch and do some sanding to get the crap off of the plates.   Another thing about the oil you have been using,  it doesn't have near enough of the high pressure additives to keep your Savage's motor alive.  

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #10 - 09/11/12 at 05:18:26

buffyporson wrote on 09/11/12 at 04:59:23:
I started using cheap Walmart brand 20/50 - clutch slipped. Changed to Shell Diesel Rottela - clutch still slipped. Changed back to Walmart brand.

What ever for? Why would anyone put that crap in anything they own?

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #11 - 09/11/12 at 05:34:18

The Walmart oil is your problem.  As the others have mentioned, it has bad stuff in it that makes your clutch slip, and not enough of the good stuff in it to keep the Savage motor from wearing rapidly.

Be careful with that seefoam stuff, if for no other reason than bill recommending it.

You will either have to take the clutch plates out and lightly sand them, or use correct oil (Rotella T6) for a few oil changes to get the clutch back to normal.

None of your "cures" (springs, plates, washers) will work until you get the friction modifier crap from the cheapo Walmart oil off the plates.  You are wasting ALL of your time and money trying to solve the problem mechanically.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #12 - 09/11/12 at 05:55:37

Charon hasn't lost his mind and started talking to himself --- there was a Bill "seafoam" trolling episode here that was deleted.    

Sad     Sorry I didn't get here sooner to nip it in the bud.    Oldfeller.

Before you waste your money on Seafoam, find out what is in it by entering some terms like "seafoam msds" into your favorite search engine. You will get results telling you it contains about half naptha (lighter fluid), about a third pale oil (20w 2-stroke oil), and about a sixth isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol. Which of those ingredients do you think will help clean a clutch? And remember as soon as the oil warms up the naptha and alcohol will evaporate out.

« Last Edit: 09/11/12 at 12:13:26 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #13 - 09/11/12 at 06:08:12

To be blunt, it did absolutely nothing except raise costs. That, to me, makes it worse than useless, because it costs money (about half a dollar per ounce) to do nothing at all.

And by the way, when I used it and reported the non-results, Bill told me I must have used it wrong.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #14 - 09/11/12 at 06:59:28

Bill, all you are doing is trying to start an argument.

Let's look at another thought. Seafoam says it is to be used at 1.5 ounces of Seafoam per quart of oil in a crankcase. It contains about half naptha, which is pretty much the same as gasoline. Another thread lately, regarding a question about changing oil, brought forth the issue of fuel contamination in lubricating oil. The S40 contains about 2.5 quarts, 80 ounces, of oil. Adding about four ounces of Seafoam is the same as adding two ounces of gasoline to the oil, and results in effectively contaminating the crankcase oil with 2.5% gasoline. Anyone care to speculate about the results on oil viscosity?

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 20:32:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Clutch slip cure.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.