Clutch slip cure. (Read 766 times)
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Re: Clutch slip cure.
Reply #15 - 09/11/12 at 08:43:13

Seafoam, Rislone, MMO, Berryman's Chemtool, etc., are nothing but types of solvents.  No miracle cures for anything.  If you need a solvent, use one.  Otherwise, especially in crankcases, use really good oil and leave it alone.  For our bikes, that means Rotella T or T6.

BTW, my fav is Berryman's Chemtool.  That is a STRONG solvent.  I would never put it in a crankcase.  It is useful as a general shop item.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #16 - 09/11/12 at 08:45:28

Curiously, a common trick in extremely cold climates is to put some gasoline in the crankcase just before shutting down an aircraft engine.  Then, the next morning, the oil will be thin enough to allow the starter to crank the engine over, and, after warm up, will just evaporate off as the oil gets hot.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #17 - 09/11/12 at 08:48:27

bill67 wrote on 09/11/12 at 08:46:36:
Charon your the one wanting to start and argument,Says something not any good when you never tried it.You should have geared your GR650 higher(1000rpm less) instead of saying it wasn't a good idea,I drove mine 28000 miles and I loved it that way.I did it you didn't so how would you know.

I've tried it.  It's just a grossly overpriced solvent.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #18 - 09/11/12 at 12:20:27

buffyporson wrote on 09/11/12 at 04:59:23:
I started using cheap Walmart brand 20/50 - clutch slipped.

Chalk up another car oil 20-50w "clutch slipper" on my list of Why Clutches Slip

Sad

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #19 - 09/11/12 at 14:38:35

rfw2003 wrote on 09/11/12 at 05:05:25:
buffyporson wrote on 09/11/12 at 04:59:23:
I started using cheap Walmart brand 20/50 - clutch slipped. Changed to Shell Diesel Rottela - clutch still slipped. Changed back to Walmart brand. I have also tried using the different length clutch push rods which also made no difference provided the clutch cable was adjusted correctly.

The oil is def an issue here.   Depending on how long you ran that CAR oil in your bike will decide on what needs to be done.   If it wasn't very long several flushes with a non-friction modifier oil will wash all that crap outta your clutch.  Now if you have been running it for awhile, you will have to take apart the clutch and do some sanding to get the crap off of the plates.   Another thing about the oil you have been using,  it doesn't have near enough of the high pressure additives to keep your Savage's motor alive.  

R.F.

Once that oil gets on your plates, it's hard to get off.

OF has a thread on clutch cleaning, maybe he'll treat you to a link.
But the basics are there.

WWW   IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #20 - 09/11/12 at 14:52:31

yeah I was just summing it up.   Here is the post were OF talkes about how to clean them.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1270678838/9#9

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #21 - 09/11/12 at 16:46:29

Gyrobob wrote on 09/11/12 at 08:45:28:
Curiously, a common trick in extremely cold climates is to put some gasoline in the crankcase just before shutting down an aircraft engine.  Then, the next morning, the oil will be thin enough to allow the starter to crank the engine over, and, after warm up, will just evaporate off as the oil gets hot.

That was before the existence of multi-grade oils. Also, the gasoline won't fully evaporate and will leave you with a permanently thinner oil.

IP Logged
feelinjunky

No Comment

NJ
Reply #22 - 09/11/12 at 18:37:57

LANCER wrote on 09/10/12 at 04:09:04:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/09/12 at 22:42:28:
Gyrobob wrote on 09/09/12 at 12:16:57:
Cavi Mike wrote on 09/09/12 at 11:50:09:
What oil are you using?

A critically important question, eh?

Absolutely critical question.,

YEP

Yup.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #23 - 09/11/12 at 18:56:15

Cavi Mike wrote on 09/11/12 at 16:46:29:

That was before the existence of multi-grade oils. Also, the gasoline won't fully evaporate and will leave you with a permanently thinner oil.

Don't tell that to my buds up in AK that are still doing it. They've made their living up there for decades doing these things.  They'll be surprised when you tell them it doesn't work.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #24 - 09/11/12 at 19:29:06

I have heard of doing this, too, but had forgotten about it until you brought it up. Seems to me while most of the gasoline will evaporate out, it will leave behind such additives as lead. Older AVGAS had more lead than modern 100LL, but it is still there. Perhaps fairly frequent oil changes help. Wouldn't surprise me to find some cars and trucks get the same treatment.

Another helpful thing with airplane engines is the practice of hand propping them over a few times before start attempts. It "limbers" them up, and also as a fringe benefit makes sure there isn't a hydrostatic lock.

Some airplane operators were known to drain engine oil into a suitable bucket, and leave that bucket on or near the stove so it stayed warm. Then the warm oil was poured back into the engine for the next day's start. Bringing the battery inside wouldn't hurt, either.

All of which comments are completely off the topic of the cure for a slipping clutch.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #25 - 09/12/12 at 00:41:01

If I have to mix gas with the oil just to get it going in the cold, I'm heading straight south for a few thousand miles.  Grin But I do remember my uncle building a small fire under his old pickup oil pan on cold mornings. If you're old enough to remember the 6 volt systems on those old vehicles, you may have seen it yourself. That was back when men was men.  Grin

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #26 - 09/12/12 at 08:17:48

Say what you want about Wal-mart car oil. I just hit 50,000 miles on my Savage using nothing but.  Most high speed riding over 60. Never a oil leak and never had a repair on the engine. Runs as good as new. By the way, still on the second cam chain. changed the first at 33,000 miles but it didn't need it really. Sick of oil talk and people who say you need $6 a qt oil. Sometimes I mix different brands together.   Makes no difference. Savage Greg has been in my engine and said it looked like new.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #27 - 09/12/12 at 08:41:53

stinger wrote on 09/12/12 at 08:17:48:
Say what you want about Wal-mart car oil. I just hit 50,000 miles on my Savage using nothing but.  Most high speed riding over 60. Never a oil leak and never had a repair on the engine. Runs as good as new. By the way, still on the second cam chain. changed the first at 33,000 miles but it didn't need it really. Sick of oil talk and people who say you need $6 a qt oil. Sometimes I mix different brands together.   Makes no difference. Savage Greg has been in my engine and said it looked like new.

Theres some of that "The proof is in the pudding"..That "cheap" oil clearly doesnt have the friction modifiers in it, so, in lieu of that expensive chemical package, what IS in there? I wonder if its still got some ZDDP,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #28 - 09/12/12 at 12:28:52

Stinger, which Wally oil was that, brand, type and weight?

Just about every Wally oil has VOA and UOA data available on BITOG, so we can likely take a look at what's in it.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #29 - 09/12/12 at 15:57:13

"Another helpful thing with airplane engines is the practice of hand propping them over a few times before start attempts. It "limbers" them up, and also as a fringe benefit makes sure there isn't a hydrostatic lock."
To the best of my knowledge, which is limited, this is only necessary if the engine is a rotary, or inverted. This is because some oil will settle in the cylinders and cause hydro lock if you don't first cycle the motor to get the oil out of the cylinders. This is one of the reasons that these engines smoke like mad when they are first started up- the oil is burning off in the exhaust manifold.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 00:32:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Clutch slip cure.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.