Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Ideal HP for a single rider. (Read 379 times)
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: Ideal HP for a single rider.
Reply #15 - 09/11/12 at 10:55:04

rfw2003 wrote on 09/10/12 at 11:36:41:
LANCER wrote on 09/10/12 at 11:32:57:
RYCA had Progressive build them and are available from RYCA.
Not sure about direct from Progressive yet.

Thanks man,  will definitely have to look into them. These stock fork springs suck on the Texas back roads.

Have you tried 20 wt fork oil in the tubes yet ?
After picking my new bike up from the dealership and riding for a year I was very disappointed in the performance of the forks.  I decided it was time to check the fork oil for volume/cleanliness and discovered the dealership had not even checked them during dealer prep prior to my picking it up the year before ... literally about 2-3 tablespoons of oil came out.  I was not a happy camper.
I put in the recommended oil and it was certainly better but still not what I wanted to feel when riding, so I drained it and replaced it with 20 wt.   That change was more to my liking.  It was more stable and handled the bumps & holes much better.
Give that a try as well and see what you think of it.
I would still get the springs though too.

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #16 - 09/12/12 at 17:37:42

The stock springs are already progressive. Play around with the fork oil first. Go up on weight to 15 or 20, or go up on quantity 5 ml at a time.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #17 - 09/12/12 at 17:41:58

arteacher wrote on 09/12/12 at 17:37:42:
The stock springs are already progressive. Play around with the fork oil first. Go up on weight to 15 or 20, or go up on quantity 5 ml at a time.

+1 you can also put in a longer spacer if you want more preload.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #18 - 09/13/12 at 02:01:58

arteacher wrote on 09/12/12 at 17:37:42:

Yes they are, but I wonder if the quality of the spring steel used by Progressive is of higher quality, and thereby does its job better, than the material used by Suzuki on this "Low cost everything" used on the LS650.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #19 - 09/14/12 at 04:16:07

LANCER wrote on 09/10/12 at 11:32:57:
RYCA had Progressive build them and are available from RYCA.
Not sure about direct from Progressive yet.

I got those springs for my RYCA.  There's good news and bad news.  They increase the responsiveness, and make the thing feel more planted in turns.  On the other hand, you feel every tiny pebble and crack in the pavement,.. and if you see a bump coming up, you'd better get the weight off your arms or you'll get whiplash.  They'd be perfect on a rigid-rear bobber,... then both ends would feel the same.

I was thinking of trying a lighter oil, but after some research, it appears the ATF I used is somewhere between 8w and 12w,... pretty light already.  I might try some 5w fork oil (ten times the cost of ATF!!!) and see if it makes any diff.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #20 - 09/14/12 at 04:46:15

Paraquat wrote on 09/08/12 at 21:08:09:
"More".
I need "more". It would be ideal if I had "more".

I think you might not be a real American if you are ever fully satisfied with the amount of HP you have in your current bike. Wink

The thing I like about the really powerful jap bikes is that the horsepower is so controllable.  You can putter around town, do some shopping, get a burger, etc., and the thing is smooth, quiet, and camry-like.  Drop off the old lady and groceries, head up to the hills, and the same bike is a snarling rocketship. Cool

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #21 - 09/16/12 at 03:31:37

Gyrobob wrote on 09/14/12 at 04:46:15:
Paraquat wrote on 09/08/12 at 21:08:09:
"More".
I need "more". It would be ideal if I had "more".

I think you might not be a real American if you are ever fully satisfied with the amount of HP you have in your current bike. Wink

The thing I like about the really powerful jap bikes is that the horsepower is so controllable.  You can putter around town, do some shopping, get a burger, etc., and the thing is smooth, quiet, and camry-like.  Drop off the old lady and groceries, head up to the hills, and the same bike is a snarling rocketship. Cool

ARRGGGHHHH ... POWER !!!!!!!!!   Cool

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 21:43:52

General CategoryThe Cafe › Ideal HP for a single rider.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.