Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Ideal HP for a single rider. (Read 379 times)
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Ideal HP for a single rider.
09/08/12 at 19:12:12

I have always thought that 50 HP was about the ideal for a single rider. For me, it it enough for around town, and the freeway.   I was wondering what others on the site felt.

IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Re: Ideal HP for a single rider.
Reply #1 - 09/08/12 at 20:35:22

Too many variables.  Weight of the bike (power to weight ratio), weight of the rider, gearing, torque and horsepower curves all play into the equation. Smiley  That said, the weight and torque of my S40 works for me!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 09/08/12 at 21:07:49

Didn't you see the Hitchhikers guide?.... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 09/08/12 at 21:08:09

"More".
I need "more". It would be ideal if I had "more".

--Steve

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #4 - 09/08/12 at 21:54:21

Gerald, I could start another "oil war" by telling you how little it takes to move a train on level track, but I won't. A coal train here in the South weighs about 15-17,000 tons iirc. Union Pacific and Norfolk Southern commonly use three engines with 4,000-4,400 hp each. However one engine with 13,000 hp couldn't pull the train because of the traction needed. I've been a railfan many years, so I'm going mostly from memory, but it doesn't take as much as you would think.
Remember horsepower is force and movement. As the saying goes "going fast costs money"--which means horsepower. Just sayin'.  Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #5 - 09/08/12 at 21:57:02

Oh, what was the question again? The most horsepower I ever had was 74 in 1973 on a 1972 Kawa 750 H2...and it wasn't enough. But it would be plenty now.  Wink

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #6 - 09/09/12 at 04:45:39

At 152lbs. loving the twisty roads and mainly being an around town or two lane country rider the LS650 completely suits my needs.  If I was on the interstates regularly I'd want something more substantial.

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Reply #7 - 09/09/12 at 17:59:51

I cant reckon a figure...

The LS650 has a power curve I really like. Increasing the power on it would not make any sense.. as basically I find the weight/suspension doesnt like 70mph  on Mississippi interstates .. so going faster would not be for this bike.

Bigger heavier bike.. I would need want more motor...

PS: down here we get not only pot holes, but plain ole "bumps" which seem to come in clusters. When you hit a series of say 3 of them, the bike seems to "loose its footing", your more airborn than not. Puts me in pucker power overdrive .. right quick!

IP Logged
mojohand40

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 09/10/12 at 09:06:51

SALB wrote on 09/08/12 at 20:35:22:
Too many variables.  Weight of the bike (power to weight ratio), weight of the rider, gearing, torque and horsepower curves all play into the equation. Smiley  That said, the weight and torque of my S40 works for me!

+1.
got to agree. Too many variables. I've had a few bikes and always prefer smaller weight bikes and always ride solo. (my wife has her own bike).
It depends on what you want to do. At one time I had a 600 Katana which is about an 70 hp bike (rear wheel HP). The thing about Katana's though, is they are heavy and big for a sport bike, which made it GREAT for a highway/interstate ride (IMO). Very smooooth.  ...BUT....I hated having to turn it around in my driveway or putting it in and out of my shed, etc. It was tall , heavy and really more power then I needed for around town.
on the other end, I also once had a GZ250, which is about 20hp...but small and light...sooooo...it was great for around town and I commuted to work, mainly taking 50-55 mph parkways and such, and it was just fine. The small size and weight (and low power) made the bike scary on major highways and no interstate travel on it. BUT...for most one up riding the 20hp was enough.
My Shadow Spirit 750 stock is 35.4hp (Mine's rejetted, open air box, etc, maybe 38 rear wheel hp, don't know, and a smaller rear sprocket). In my mind it's the best for just an all around bike. The sprocket change made it highway worthy, the low end torque and size makes it a blast around town.  
Anyway, it just depends on how you ride etc. The Savage seems perfect for an around town backroad bike to me. It's not the lack of HP that makes me think it's not a good highway bike, but the low weight, brakes and suspension.

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #9 - 09/10/12 at 10:49:02

Quote:
The Savage seems perfect for an around town backroad bike to me. It's not the lack of HP that makes me think it's not a good highway bike, but the low weight, brakes and suspension.

Well put MoJo Wink  Plain, simple and straight to the point.

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #10 - 09/10/12 at 11:14:06

I have to disagree a bit guys.  The LS650 is not perfect of course since it was designed and built to be a low price entry level bike, but it is a good base platform from which to build.

If you have a bike that begins to feel unstable at 70 mph then you have some thing/s wrong.  A stock bike in good condition will go up to 100 mph and be stable.  Check your suspension, tires,wheel alignment, etc, if yours is not stable.
Improvements to upgrade include fork springs, heavier weight fork oil, fork brace, replacing rear shocks, quality tires, brake pads/shoes, all of which will add to the stability & handling across the board.

Then there are the performance upgrades which will boost or magnify the best qualities of this big single.  
Do you like the torque characteristics of it ?  It will increase.
Do you like the ease of handling and maneuverability of it ?  It will improve.
Do you like the feel of this kind of power ?  It will increase.

This bike in stock form is only half the bike it is capable of being.

« Last Edit: 09/11/12 at 10:56:50 by LANCER »  
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #11 - 09/10/12 at 11:28:33

I have LS650's and a 1200C sporty.  It is twice the weight and has twice the power and because of the weight is more stable on the highway.  I keep it for two up riding, otherwise I ride the LS's.  For around town commuting, back road easy cruising and mountain road blasting it is really hard to beat ... besides the ease of maintenance, dependability and low initial cost & upkeep.  It is the best all around bike I've ever owned.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #12 - 09/10/12 at 11:30:25

EmbarrassedLANCER wrote on 09/10/12 at 11:14:06:
I have to disagree a bit guys.  The LS650 is not perfect of course since it was designed and built to be a low price entry level bike, but it is a good base platform from which to build.

If you have a bike that begins to feel unstable at 70 mph then you have some thing/s wrong.  A stock bike in good condition will go up to 100 mph and is stable.  Check your suspension, tires,wheel alignment, etc, if yours is not stable.
Improvements to upgrade include fork springs, heavier weight fork oil, fork brace, replacing rear shocks, quality tires, brake pads/shoes, all of which will add to the stability & handling across the board.

Then there are the performance upgrades which will boost or magnify the best qualities of this big single.  
Do you like the torque characteristics of it ?  It will increase.
Do you like the ease of handling and maneuverability of it ?  It will improve.
Do you like the feel of this kind of power ?  It will increase.

This bike in stock form is only half the bike it is capable of being.

Didn't know there were upgraded fork springs available.  Where might I find those?

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #13 - 09/10/12 at 11:32:57

RYCA had Progressive build them and are available from RYCA.
Not sure about direct from Progressive yet.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #14 - 09/10/12 at 11:36:41

LANCER wrote on 09/10/12 at 11:32:57:
RYCA had Progressive build them and are available from RYCA.
Not sure about direct from Progressive yet.

Thanks man,  will definitely have to look into them. These stock fork springs suck on the Texas back roads.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 19:05:40

General CategoryThe Cafe › Ideal HP for a single rider.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.