Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Oil level for RYCA modified LS650? (Read 264 times)
BuckRYCA

New London, CT, USA
Re: Oil level for RYCA modified LS650?
Reply #15 - 09/08/12 at 07:21:54

Yes, I do what JOG suggested.  I use the slope of my driveway leading into the garage to put the rear wheel lower by about 1.5" than level on my Ryca. Then fill to near the high mark on the sight window while holding bike vertical. The Ryca has an 18" rear rim versus 15" stock, so I figure I'm in the ballpark. It's worked for 6K miles since the conversion a year ago June.

At the risk of an oil war, I'll note that I use Rotella (sometimes dino, but mostly synthetic). I've put 48K miles on three different Suzukis in the past 7 years using Rotella with no issues and no apparent cam wear.

« Last Edit: 09/08/12 at 18:52:16 by BuckRYCA »  

'96 Savage - now a Ryca CS-1
WWW BuckRYCA BuckRYCA   IP Logged
LouSiana

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Hannover, Germany
Reply #16 - 09/08/12 at 13:28:03

ralfyguy wrote on 09/08/12 at 06:06:09:
Makes one wonder why the cam didn't get roller bearings like everything else on the motor that turns.

...limits in construction. It would make the head of the engine about 1" higher and longer in horizontal. Orientation of the valves had to be different (how they are actually placed is near the optimum)  Then the frame had to be larger as a result. OK, it could be still a Savage or a S40 but a bit larger.

Another point: The camshaft has two and a half bearings. The outer ones could me made as roller bearing or needle bearing. But not the middle one without giving the camshaft a different construction. The middle bearing has to bear the most burden and has to avoid oscillations. Therefore it mus be that large.

...and at least, a slide bearing isn't that bad at all! It just needs an assured lubrication. Like other bearings do, too.

Last, when talking about oil, don't only think of lubrication, think about heat dissipation, too. Just another reason to care about the oil level, -quality and aging of it...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 09/08/12 at 13:38:39

OIl level is important. As it gets lower on oil,That oil is hotter. Whoever it was that decided to try filling with oil to the low mark in the window while its on the stand did a good thing,As long as oil stays off the crank at the bottom of the stroke, things are good.

Thats correct, innit?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #18 - 09/08/12 at 13:49:26

Yup,  it is correct.   More oil is better, up until that point it tries to get up over the crank splash shelf anyway.

And you have the hot test to protect you from that.   Each modified bike needs to be hot checked by its owner at least once on flat level ground to verify the fill level & check method the owner is using.

===============

What is really dangerous is running out of oil
, which the standard Suzuki oil check method puts you too close to that dangerous neighborhood, especially with a bike that commonly sips some oil between oil changes like our Big Single is known to do  ....

Wink

Using the standard Suzuki method on a highly modified frame bike sure doesn't make a lot of sense, now does it?    I mean, you changed too much wheel & frame-wise to make the standard check "meaningful", right?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #19 - 09/08/12 at 15:50:58

So i saw oil on the bottom of the window gurgling about when holding the bike upright idling. That is what you suggested it should be like?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #20 - 09/08/12 at 17:39:09

This is the HOT TEST that is recommended for all modified bikes.

A pass condition is being able to see the top oil level at the top of the window while the hot idling bike is being held vertical.  You need to do this, and if your window is full remove enough oil so you can see the top level in the window while the hot idling bike is being held vertical.

So, you set the cold oil level using your sidestand and your oil window  --- and then you check it with a HOT CHECK to make sure the resulting expanded hot oil isn't too much.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
BuckRYCA

New London, CT, USA
Reply #21 - 09/11/12 at 17:16:45

I performed the hot test Oldfeller recommended.
With engine cold and bike vertical, I observed the oil level at two-thirds in the sight window.
Then after running the bike, with the bike vertical, the level at idle was just about the same.
My Ryca has the stock size front tire and the 18" rear tire supplied in the kit.

« Last Edit: 09/12/12 at 07:02:24 by BuckRYCA »  

Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #22 - 09/11/12 at 17:21:28

Beautiful, then your oil setting system and your running oil level both are in agreement and are both of them "good to go".

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
BuckRYCA

New London, CT, USA
Reply #23 - 09/12/12 at 07:03:41

Yes, it's a good thing. I believe Ryca owners can set their oil levels with the bike cold and vertical and on a horizonal surface to just below the 'F' line near the top of the sight window and all will be well.

« Last Edit: 09/12/12 at 15:59:06 by BuckRYCA »  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 04:25:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil level for RYCA modified LS650?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.