Jason
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Detroit, Mi
Valve Adjustment
09/09/12 at 16:47:21

Hi,

Bought my bike at 5,000 miles, just hit 9,000.  I'm trying to learn how to do a valve adjustment on my bike, as I'm due for one.  I don't really know what a valve adjustment is, or why I should perform one, it just says that I should do it in the manual.  I want to keep up on the maintenance for my bike, but I don't really have much mechanical knowledge and I'm learning as I go.

How can I tell if I need a valve adjustment, what does it do, and can someone point me to the right direction (or hell, even the right page in the Clymer) to perform one? I was going through the Clymer and I honestly didn't know which page was the starting point.

FWIW, I have a 2006.  

Thanks.

IP Logged
MarkHB

Go for it!

Ottawa, Canada
Re: Valve Adjustment
Reply #1 - 09/09/12 at 18:33:10

The technical section of this site is a gold mine. See http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1325991352 for a nice description of valve adjustment.

Stock White 2007 S40
Raptor petcock
1/2 white spacer
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 09/09/12 at 21:54:01

If you read that & want to make sure you get it or dont quite understand, come back & reply here. We WILL talk ya thru it, just do a little reading first & get as much of it in your head as ya can, then we can help a little easier,
Tools youll need.
10 mm end wrench
a set of feeler gauges
offset screwdriver

antisieze for bolts going back together.

Iver modded mine so the seat is held on by allen heads, so I dont remember how a stock seat comes off..
10 mm socket? I know youll need that for the tank,

Okay, IM tired,, others will pop in & add.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MarkHB

Go for it!

Ottawa, Canada
Reply #3 - 09/11/12 at 20:43:37

Yeah, 10mm socket and a Philips screwdriver to get the seat off.

Valve adjustment isn't difficult to do (I'm no mechanic) but it does take some patience, especially for a first-timer like I was.  Wink

Stock White 2007 S40
Raptor petcock
1/2 white spacer
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 09/11/12 at 23:55:45

I AM a mechanic, but I have ( well,, Had) no motorcycle experience. It took me forever to do the first valve adjustment. I was sooo careful. I checked & rechecked everything,,BUT, I Didnt screw it up. I didnt have a jam nut back off after 200 miles,

& every time I did the valves, I was on edge, until I had 3 or 4 times under my belt,Noiw, If I do the valves, I just do it, Not scared, just step by step, no reason to check & recheck,
If youre just starting out, Take your time, walk away, think, run thru the steps, recheck things, KNOW its right,,its okay to be slow, its not okay to not be thorough & careful. Its not okay to screw it up.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 22:24:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Valve Adjustment

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.