Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What is this tube? (Read 212 times)
mojohand40

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

What is this tube?
09/03/12 at 16:53:31

Okay, I was replacing the gasket on the crankcase (had an oil leak). I find this black tube, about a foot long about 1/4" dia hanging under the frame beneath the crank case cover. It's held with a bendable wire tie fastened to the engine (underneath) I traced it back and it's not attached to anything!
Where does it go? I was thinking crankcase breather tube, but isn't that on the other side? What the heck is this thing? Gas tank vent tube?
Thanks!

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Re: What is this tube?
Reply #1 - 09/03/12 at 16:59:31

Which side? Traced it back to where? 1/4 ID or OD? Anything on either end?
Only thing I can think of is the air box drain tube has come undone.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #2 - 09/03/12 at 17:10:23

It could be a carb vent hose that got away. There are two, and mine go under the tank along the frame. A battery vent is usually clear, I think. The crankcase breather tube is on the right top of the head cap and is nearly 1/2 inch id. Pull up a fiche on Ron Ayres or Bike Bandit and see if you can figure it out that way.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 09/03/12 at 17:11:26

Yep, I bet it is the air box drain.  Mine is fastened to the bottom frame member with a plastic tie.  I bet somehow yours got unfastened or broken.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
mojohand40

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 09/03/12 at 17:19:34

nothing on either end. About 1/4" inside dia. Hmmm...air box drain. I'll look at the tomorrow. I ran out of daylight and my little outbuilding (shed with a raised wooden floor, doesn't have a shop light.
I got to finish this project tomorrow.
Thanks for the clues!

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #5 - 09/03/12 at 18:17:27

It is almost certainly the battery overflow tube. On mine, the stock tube is black. Usually the clear ones are the ones supplied with replacement batteries. It may have become disconnected from the battery; someone may not have connected it in the first place; or someone may have replaced the battery with a sealed maintenance-free battery and simply left the tube on the bike.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
J C Stokes

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 09/03/12 at 19:05:38

Agree with Charon

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 09/03/12 at 19:19:14

If its open on both ends, IDK.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #8 - 09/04/12 at 19:38:02

The battery vent tube is normally open on the bottom, and connects to a nipple on the battery at the top. On the stock battery the nipple is on the right (starboard) side of the bike. People often buy a replacement battery from Walmart, and that (incorrect) battery has the nipple on the left. Battery mounting hardware doesn't fit quite right, and the vent tube is left off. Might be worth checking.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 09/05/12 at 06:08:06

Take a picture and post it......I believe this is the only way for us to know exactly what tube you are talking about.

The air box tube tends to come down the middle of the frame and is attached to the left side of the frame tube - almost directly under the front sprocket location.  The battery drain tube is on the right side of the bike and goes down the right side and is held in place at the bottom of the bike by a little metal clamp with a black rubber coating.  If someone put a gel battery in the bike - the battery does not have a vent/drain attachment and the tube will not have any place to connect on the battery.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
lacon
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Knoxville, TN
Reply #10 - 09/05/12 at 09:54:40

Another vote for the battery overflow tube.  Mine's got the same thing.  The previous owner replaced the battery with a sealed one having no overflow nipple & simply left the abandoned tube.
The air box tube is bigger & should have a removable plug at the bottom.

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #11 - 09/05/12 at 19:49:15

The battery over-flow tube runs forward? Something tells me it's a wire-loom possibly for a non-existant sensor. Is your kick-stand safety switch still there?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 09/05/12 at 23:07:48

The PO had problems & needed a catheter to be able to go Pee & he forgot his TRavelin pee tube?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
mojohand40

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 09/09/12 at 14:44:02

turned out to be the battery drain tube. It was disconnected, as the PO had used a shorter clear tube that ran into the tool compartment.
Also, speaking of air box tube..
I pulled the plug and drained it...blech! It was full of gunky oil and water.
Turns out I had over filled my oil, and my airbox also had oil in it.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 16:21:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What is this tube?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.