Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
A Unique View on the 5th annual CAR TIRE WAR (Read 498 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: A Unique View on the 5th annual CAR TIRE WAR
Reply #30 - 10/15/12 at 13:13:59

The tires grip well enough that they can brake HARD until just before apex then they roll on the power, enough to start to lift the front tire even before they finish the turn itself .....

.... mad riding skills, them riders now-a-days, wonderful bikes too.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #31 - 10/15/12 at 13:32:12

Ohh, agreed, Mad skills, their lean angles REQuire lean angels.
But, the question I have remains, as "tack" increases, doesnt rolling resistance also increase? Is it enough to "see" it eat up HP thru a corner?
I wonder what would happen if a guy put tires of that type on one of these & hit some well known corners. Would it be slower due to the tire itself eating HP or faster, due to increases traction? My bet, considering the max lean angle & limited HP, a Savage would be slower thru the most challenging corners.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #32 - 10/15/12 at 14:12:22

Here's food for thought.  The circumference on the edge of a motorcycle is smaller than the center, thus theoretically, the over all final drive ratio would be lower.  I came to this conclusion on an under powered little 50cc scooter I used to have.  It took me a while to figure out that this had to be the reason it accelerated noticeably better the more I leaned in a curve.  Somebody correct me if my thinking is flawed.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #33 - 10/15/12 at 16:04:21

Justin, super sticky tires are required for HUGE brakes and POWERFUL 100 hp accelerations out of corners.

I don't think the Savage requires super sticky tires even for our Dragon play times.    I have used hard rubber sipe construction tires very successfully up on the Dragon every year I have been up there.  Some were car tires, some were touring motorcycle tires, all were a hard rubber sipe construction ....

I have run one (1) normal Dunlop Cruise Master motorcycle "touring" tire and it did not last past the third day of second annual mountain trip before it was bald.

Angry   Angry   Angry   Angry   Angry   Angry   Angry   Angry

So, what I really hate about super sticky normal bike tires is the fact they evaporate over just 3-4 days time when it happens to get hot up on the Dragon.    I got no use for a normal motorcycle tire that charges me $50-56 a year in tire cost and can only last 2 years at most.

That is why we are tracking miles on a couple of Metzler ME 880 H series tires over on the group drop box spreadsheet -- on our Savage they will last almost as good as a car tire does.

How to get into the spreadsheet to register your tire or to punch in your new mileage and new depth of thread .....

Go to Dropbox.com           https://www.dropbox.com/

Click on sign in: in the top right corner.

We have a shared generic Drop Box account called:  

suzukisavage@mail.com

with password:       s40boulevard

Now you click on the Public Folder when Drop Box opens up.   This will open the folder with all the shared stuff in it.  

You are looking for the Low Cost Mileage Contest.xls

Wink

Don't forget to save the spreadsheet once you are finished punching in your stuff.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #34 - 10/15/12 at 17:24:29

SALB wrote on 10/15/12 at 14:12:22:
Here's food for thought.  The circumference on the edge of a motorcycle is smaller than the center, thus theoretically, the over all final drive ratio would be lower.  I came to this conclusion on an under powered little 50cc scooter I used to have.  It took me a while to figure out that this had to be the reason it accelerated noticeably better the more I leaned in a curve.  Somebody correct me if my thinking is flawed.

Proving/disproving that thinking would require some pretty good math.
The power required to accelerate in a corner is complicated, Im sure.
The corner I couldnt get past 80 in was a pretty nice sweeper. I was on the inside edge of the asphalt. I noticed one day as I was cruisin thru that when they laid that asphalt they left a very smooth radius on the inside of it. The inside radius was very constant & it looked like I could drop into it & ride it,, so, I did, exactly One time, cuz it was a pretty tight corner for 80 MPH, Oncoming traffic saw me & pulled off the road. Hadf I come out of that little groove, I woulda been across the road I into oncoming in a second. Ohh the crazy crap of life! Well,, YOUNG life,.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:15:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › A Unique View on the 5th annual CAR TIRE WAR

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.