Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
A Unique View on the 5th annual CAR TIRE WAR (Read 498 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Unique View
Reply #15 - 10/14/12 at 19:26:12

PS    If you guys want a car tire war, go to Rubber Side Down and put a named CAR TIRE WAR thread up there and go at it using normal list war rules.

This is Cafe, where everything is kept light and nice.

Your tech head population lives over in Rubber Side Down ....   they are the ones who likes to discuss them techie things like sidewall flex and gripping patch zones.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #16 - 10/14/12 at 19:44:52

Ridge runner

I'm with ya , on running a car tire.   They grip more road ! , They Haul more weight and last longer while they do it !  

On our 2011 Dragon Run I passed one of those high-horse-powered sportbikes that didn't want to be passed and then chased his buddy in front of him who tried desperataly to get away but couldn't , all with a BFGoodrich Radial TA. on the back of a 30hp Savage.  
disclaimer:  We doin't drive like that all the time (just in the "Heat of the Moment".) Wink

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #17 - 10/14/12 at 20:37:36

tizzyfit wrote on 10/14/12 at 18:13:47:
You couldn't tell by looking at the bike it wasn't a LS650/S40?  Gee, the exhaust pipe, on the RIGHT SIDE, should have been a clue.  Then again, maybe not........... Grin Grin Grin

What? The exhaust IS on the right side of an LS650. Even if it wasn't, you should be aware this is a forum full of people that modify their bikes - many to the point where they're almost unrecognizable from a stock bike.

Also, if this thread should be kept "nice" and not full of a debate, it shouldn't be about something as serious as putting a car tire on a motorcycle. This is a Rubber Side Down topic, not a cute kitty pic thread. Post this stuff in the proper forum next time.

No one is gonna tell me to "be nice" when a salesman shows up at my door when there is a No Soliciting notice on it. It's no different when someone posts serious motorcycle related topics in the chill area. You made your bed.

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #18 - 10/14/12 at 20:40:47

MMRanch wrote on 10/14/12 at 19:44:52:
On our 2011 Dragon Run I passed one of those high-horse-powered sportbikes that didn't want to be passed and then chased his buddy in front of him who tried desperataly to get away but couldn't , all with a BFGoodrich Radial TA. on the back of a 30hp Savage.

Because that was totally the tire and not the skill of the rider. Maybe someone should let MotoGP know those tires they're using are rubbish and they should all switch to car tires! What a revelation!
Roll Eyes

IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #19 - 10/15/12 at 00:49:26

I posted the video in Cafe because it was not Savage related. I thought anyone watching it could tell even from that angle that was not a Savage, & if they couldn't the sound of a v-twin is certainly nothing like a single.
I'm not sure how pulling a trailer is supposed to help, I can assure you it doesn't. I only pointed out that was not a Savage, CM is the only one choosing to start a "war" over it.
If you consider that little 'scoot' getting sideways, you really haven't seen anything close to what I'm capable of. As I stated before, that was a DEMONSTRATION & not the way I normally ride, & the slip was a result of hard parts of the bike contacting the concrete, NOT the tire slipping. The tire has more grip than is possible to use on that bike due to the low ground clearance.
If you feel the need to comment on something feel free, just make sure you have your facts right because I can & will defend my position. I did NOT come knocking on anyones' clearly marked NO SOLICITING door.
If someone chooses to ignore the reality of what is actually happening to post on their assumptions, I can't be responsible for that. I only see one person who has a problem.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Sorry if I ruffled some feathers, that was not my intent.

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #20 - 10/15/12 at 04:45:48

Really? Cafe, light & nice? When did that start? I always thot this was the "Free for all zone" for things Not religious or political. Wanna talk about the company picnic? Heres fine,, wanna talk about your bike? Heres fine. Got a real problem with your bike? RSD mite be the place,,IMO, the cafe is just a less straight forward site, its not where Id go if I Needed an answer, but, if I wanted to post something that mite get a little off track, this is where Id go,.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #21 - 10/15/12 at 05:28:47

No Justin, that is why we made you a Religion and Politics TT zone so you guys would quit smearing the stinky stuff around in the Cafe where the nice people sit sipping tea and drinking coffee and chatting over easy on the mind non-ego wounding type stuff.

Car tire discussions get too heated, even when treated factually in RSD.   The people who hate them have never (and are never) going to even entertain a discussion of positive facts and data about them, so it is pointless to even start the discussion.

This post was simply another "gee, lookit that" visual type post that went the way all car tire discussions go .... down the crapper.

Maybe we should clip off the car tire discussion part, lock the "gee, lookit that" visual cafe stuff and give a reference link to the RSD Car Tire War discussion that the clipped portion would become.

Or mebbe just move this whole thing over to RSD and rename it some ..... yeah, that sounds about right.

Thread is moved to RSD and CAR TIRE WAR #5 is offically declared

« Last Edit: 10/15/12 at 06:49:32 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #22 - 10/15/12 at 06:06:40

Cavi Mike wrote on 10/14/12 at 20:40:47:
MMRanch wrote on 10/14/12 at 19:44:52:

Because that was totally the tire and not the skill of the rider. Maybe someone should let MotoGP know those tires they're using are rubbish and they should all switch to car tires! What a revelation!
Roll Eyes

OK, I'll take a small poke at this one since it gets used by the anti-car tire folks all the time.

Most "track authorized" Motorcycle Race Tires used in America are built by Goodyear Racing Division in Akron, Ohio.   Some are marked Goodyear, some are marked Dunlop (old curing molds).  These are the tires you see in all those knee dragging, high speed shots on the racetracks here in America.

They use special kevlar fabric carcass construction and the top trade secret tread compounds used are different for the center section than for the two sides and the tri-part compound mix chosen is track specific and temperature specific and wet specific for that particular race.   All the racers in that race are running the same track approved rubber and tire compounds (within 2-3 temperature grades) that they are allowed to pick between because of individual bike needs.

Why did this develop?   Tires are such a big part of winning races that some racers on less developed bikes with poorer riding styles were winning races simply because they had better tires.   The sport was getting out of kilter, so the ruling bodies said "same tires for everybody" to put the competition back into the race.

Goodyear sends a truck load of bike tires that are pre-produced for that race according to the individual track's history and the season of the year, then the track stewards and the crew chiefs pick "the tire" for the race out of what is in the truck that fits the best for today's race conditions.

Having a bad tire match up is a historical cause for controversy for any given race (and many riders do quote the tires as the reason for their sub par performance that day) but Goodyear has actually gotten pretty good about having the right tires in the truck for that track for that season of the year.   And if they fook up a race, they do apologize profusely and bend great efforts to do better next year.

So, your typical motorcycle race tire has NO real relation to any street tire, either motorcycle or car street tire.   It is a very different beast with each tire costing at least half as much as your Savage did when you bought it used (assuming you paid a bit for your bike, some of you got such good deals that it wouldn't even buy a singe race tire).

Saying "you can't do that with a car tire" is a bit ridiculous, no you can't do that with a street motorcycle tire either, not at those speeds and grip forces.

You got too many Dragon riders here who have seen Savage car tires do exactly whatever a Savage bike tire can do up on the Dragon runs.    You got too many here who have switched back & forth between the two who have first hand knowledge of the handling characteristics of the two.

So, crazy expensive specialized track specific motorcycle racing tires aside, what was your point about handling again?

Source, Oldfeller -- an expert opinion from a 3 year retired Senior Quality Engineer, Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company and currently Dragon car/motorcycle tire switcher outer person (me  Grin).

« Last Edit: 10/15/12 at 07:18:54 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Re: A Unique View on the 5th annual CAR TIRE WAR
Reply #23 - 10/15/12 at 08:34:50

Awwww, whadda YOU KNow, anyways?

Im just sure I heard that exact same line on Spanky & Our Gang once..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #24 - 10/15/12 at 08:58:37

In that case I'll retort with "AWWWW APPLESAUCE!"

Cheesy

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #25 - 10/15/12 at 10:37:19

And to make it even more fun, although I run one myself and might argue that they handle well enough, I won't recommend car tires to to anyone to be put on a Savage tube style rim because it is too stinkin' dangerous to seat the tubeless car style beads on a Savage tube style rim.  

The popping the steel cored bead over the steel rim part, the last part of tire mounting, that is.    Too much air pressure is needed, and when you get over 50-60 psi you are up in the danger range.

Some folks who have not taken the time to trim off the extra tubless rubber flap feature off the car tires that were headed for their Savage old style tube rim have actually gotten up to 90-100 psi that was needed to pop the bead and that is flat assed totally up into the danger range, way on up there.

So now all you "no car tires" people have some bullets you can shoot out of your rifles that might actually HIT something for a change.

==============

Pop Test Time

Why are most open class motorcycle races so short compared to open class car races?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #26 - 10/15/12 at 11:39:37

Why are most open class motorcycle races so short compared to open class car races?

Tires. As car tires heat up, they have more mass exposed to the air & spit heat off better. Its a lot easier to keep a 4 wheeler under control with hot , greasy tires &  Boyle's law , which shows a known volume going thru pressure changes due to temperature changes. Double the temp, double the pressure.,

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #27 - 10/15/12 at 11:54:19

Yes, tires -- and gas.

You can refuel a bike very quickly with a pressure can, but they have had some fires due to pressure can spew & spillage, so they try not to have them gas pit stops any more.   Instead they have "heats" now mostly and you win enough heats to add up to your overall points score.

Live weenie roasts on national tv aren't good public relations, you know.

The tire guys picked up on this limitation and they built tires that would last just a bit past a heat, and since they were limiting the race lengths you could go even sticker and softer on the compounds to get even better traction levels during the actual race.

So your triple digit $$$ set of full on rear race tires only lasts an hour or so of real full speed run time ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #28 - 10/15/12 at 12:09:11

And, since my old company has lost the contract for supermoto I find it amusing that Bridgestone is having the same sorts of issues that Goodyear had as a "spec tire" provider for that race series.  

NOBODY loves their tire mgfs when full out racing, apparently.  

Them sorry assed tires sux rocks, real big un's.

Wink

http://motomatters.com/analysis/2012/07/06/bridgestone_s_tire_failures_at_ass...

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #29 - 10/15/12 at 12:12:23

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 10/15/12 at 11:54:19:

Yes, tires -- and gas.

You can refuel a bike very quickly with a pressure can, but they have had some fires due to pressure can spew & spillage, so they try not to have them gas pit stops any more.   Instead they have "heats" now mostly and you win enough heats to add up to your overall points score.

Live weenie roasts on national tv aren't good public relations, you know.

The tire guys picked up on this limitation and they built tires that would last just a bit past a heat, and since they were limiting the race lengths you could go even sticker and softer on the compounds to get even better traction levels during the actual race.

So your triple digit $$$ set of full on rear race tires only lasts an hour or so of real full speed run time ....

Ooooh, yea,, the hazard of refueling, No Kidding,,& pit stops are a great opportunity to tangle up, too.

Back to tires..

Yea, they know the required life of a tire, so they engineer them to grip like heck & survive for the necessary amount of time, And they are installed on High Powered machines,, now, increased traction translates to increased rolling resistance to a point, right? I wonder if its enough to appreciably "eat" horsepower & decrease MPG. You mite just know that..
I Do know the effect of a corner eating up HP. I took my 750 twin Kawasaki thru a corner in 5th & it would not accelerate above 80 in that corner.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:17:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › A Unique View on the 5th annual CAR TIRE WAR

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.