Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
A Unique View on the 5th annual CAR TIRE WAR (Read 498 times)
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
A Unique View on the 5th annual CAR TIRE WAR
09/03/12 at 11:16:02

This totally innocent visual post has done what anything car tire related generally does, so -- if you want to take part in the 5th annual CAR TIRE WAR then get your kevlar underwear on  and get your FACTS and DATA in order.

Your "opinion" is worthless in a RSD declared Car Tire War, your FACTS and DATA should be backed up with a source link.     Watch out when quoting your "experts" as they will be forced to show their experience using car tires personally so as to become an expert.

have fun, keep it clean and above the belt     OF

===========================

This is a unique view of a car tire on a m/c. I shot it with the camera mounted on my trailer axle.This was shot in 720HD on a 32 gig micro sd card in a Midland XTC camera. $65 on Ebay, or about $90 at Wal-Mart. Cool Shocked

http://www.youtube.com/embed/BXasxVxsza8

« Last Edit: 10/15/12 at 05:44:21 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Unique View
Reply #1 - 09/03/12 at 11:33:02

Nice camera work

this one came up after yours...

http://www.youtube.com/embed/BXasxVxsza8

nice tire, responded well

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #2 - 09/03/12 at 12:03:55

Nice tire responds of both Roll Eyes

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 09/03/12 at 12:19:39

WOW!  Sure is flat down in that part of the country!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 09/03/12 at 12:27:27

What happens if ya get in a spot & need to lean on over & the ball in the cup of the hitch cant swivel any further? Can ya get there before ya have Hard Parts dragging?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #5 - 10/13/12 at 18:56:15

OK, I'm going to try to post again from my new laptop, just in case the problem last time was my old computer. This is the only site I was having a problem with but you never know.

I'll start with JOG & then answer OFs' question from another thread.

If you watch the video closely you will see white drag marks appear on the concrete on several of the turns I make, even scooting the rear end on one right hander. I've never had a problem because I usually don't corner like that pulling the trailer. It's the same trailer I pulled with a Savage for 8 years with no issues.

For Oldfeller, the tire on there is a Vredestein Comtrac 175/75R16 made in Holland that cost me $158 delivered. The oem Brigdestone was down to the wear bars at 6250 miles when it picked up a nail. The current tire now has over 15k on it now & looks like this.

Considering I have put +21k on this bike in less than 3 years & should get at least another 15k out of it, & oem tires are about the same $$$, I think it's a bargain. The fact that it outhandles the oem in every way is just a big + in my book.

Preview worked, now I'll see if it posts. Cool

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 10/13/12 at 19:43:28

Thanks for the reply. I missed the scuff marks, prolee shoulda heard them go down, I was busy looking at the scenery & thinking what a fine place to be,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #7 - 10/13/12 at 23:19:03

I have never been disappointed in the curve handling ability of the car tires I have used.  I realize I use a third of the tire on the left side when going left, a third to half in the center when going straight and a third on the right when going right.   Modern radial car tires have a rounded enough profile to make these transitions seamlessly as you roll from one side to another.

Still, the actual amount of rubber in the contact patch with the road is LARGER than it is on a bike tire because the car tire side wall flexes to allow the tread to lay a bigger contact patch flat on the road better than a hard sided bike tire can ever do.  The car tire contact patch size is always about twice what the bike tire can give you in any given angle of attack, even in the way heeled over attack angles you think of as Dragon Riding.  

Car tire wet grip (even in the driving rain) has always been good.   MUCH much better than some harder bike tires as a matter of fact.

High speed running is the only issue that I have ever had on my old Nankang car tire, and that was a function of rear tire alignment causing a high speed feedback with the front end which apparently can occur with bike tires as well.  

My current Nexen tire does not have this issue -- Nexen also grips better than the Nankang ever did, I can't get the rear brakes to engage strong enough to get the tire to break free in braking (which was easier to do with the Nankang as it would break free and squall like a car tire squalls if you mashed it good).

Indeed, by slicing away the excess rubber tubeless flap material on the Nexen you can get the mounting pressures down closer to "normal motorcycle mounting" types of air pressures, but still bead popping pressure is still high enough at nearly 60 psi to be up in "the bead breakage danger range" and as such car tires cannot be recommended as safe to be put on a Savage rear rim.  

And this is WITH using all the speciality tricks like using grease on the stubborn sections of bead.

Angry         ..... if it wasn't for the mounting dangers involved more car tires would likely get used on bikes.  But it is what it is and only a few souls will take the risks to put one on.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #8 - 10/14/12 at 00:24:45

Nice "tire response?" Seriously? You're on a 31hp cruiser with most of the weight over the rear wheel AND a trailer yet you still managed to get loose over a little bit of dust and you people call this "good response?"

I am actually convinced by this video to NEVER put a car tire on my bike. Ever.

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #9 - 10/14/12 at 05:17:25

You want to see a car tire,look at some of the bikes that used to come out of BBW(Borgett Bike Works)in Pheonix.He used to use Viper tires before you could buy 200,250,360,400 tires.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #10 - 10/14/12 at 08:43:58

Cavi Mike wrote on 10/14/12 at 00:24:45:
Nice "tire response?" Seriously? You're on a 31hp cruiser with most of the weight over the rear wheel AND a trailer yet you still managed to get loose over a little bit of dust and you people call this "good response?"

CM, I would NEVER want you to put a car tire on your bike either, but I'm convinced you NEVER watched the video I posted.
If you did, you would realize in the video I'm NOT riding a 31hp cruiser. I'm riding my V-Star 950T which is closer to 60hp & 700lbs. It also did NOT get loose over a little dust, I scraped the floorboards beyond their ability to fold up & slid the bike on the steel floorboard mounts. The floorboards have sacrificial metal strips on the bottom that let you know you're getting close to the limits. I intentionally when beyond that warning just to demonstrate how easily it is to catch a slide with that tire.
With that tire it is much easier to modulate rear braking to the point of lock up, & even lock & release with out losing control. In the rain, it throws a rooster tail that keeps others from following to close, which is good since I can stop quicker than my friends' who have m/c tires.

I am in NO way advocating YOU should do anything YOU don't feel is safe, but if you're going to comment at least get the facts straight.

BTW, Oldfeller, that tire went on & seated at less than 50 psi. I use dynabeads for balance & have taken it over 100 mph with no issues, & cruised at 85+ by GPS for miles at a time.

I will NEVER go back to a m/c tire on the 950, the car tire is just better all around for me. Cool

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #11 - 10/14/12 at 14:28:17

At 1:50 in you got sideways. At that point I stopped watching the video. If somewhere after that point you mentioned that it was a V-Star, my mistake. I also don't care if you think I know nothing about distinguishing the make/model of your bike by only being able to see the bottom half of the very back of it. If you really expect me to believe you can tell what any bike is going down the road by the view in that video, I'm going to laugh in your face.

IP Logged
tizzyfit

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 10/14/12 at 18:10:44

RidgeRunner13 wrote on 10/14/12 at 08:43:58:
Cavi Mike wrote on 10/14/12 at 00:24:45:

CM, I would NEVER want you to put a car tire on your bike either, but I'm convinced you NEVER watched the video I posted.
If you did, you would realize in the video I'm NOT riding a 31hp cruiser. I'm riding my V-Star 950T which is closer to 60hp & 700lbs. It also did NOT get loose over a little dust, I scraped the floorboards beyond their ability to fold up & slid the bike on the steel floorboard mounts. The floorboards have sacrificial metal strips on the bottom that let you know you're getting close to the limits. I intentionally when beyond that warning just to demonstrate how easily it is to catch a slide with that tire.
With that tire it is much easier to modulate rear braking to the point of lock up, & even lock & release with out losing control. In the rain, it throws a rooster tail that keeps others from following to close, which is good since I can stop quicker than my friends' who have m/c tires.

I am in NO way advocating YOU should do anything YOU don't feel is safe, but if you're going to comment at least get the facts straight.

BTW, Oldfeller, that tire went on & seated at less than 50 psi. I use dynabeads for balance & have taken it over 100 mph with no issues, & cruised at 85+ by GPS for miles at a time.

I will NEVER go back to a m/c tire on the 950, the car tire is just better all around for me. Cool

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n94/Pappygt13/NewTxMile5-28-11048.jpg

+1

IP Logged
tizzyfit

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 10/14/12 at 18:13:47

Cavi Mike wrote on 10/14/12 at 14:28:17:
At 1:50 in you got sideways. At that point I stopped watching the video. If somewhere after that point you mentioned that it was a V-Star, my mistake. I also don't care if you think I know nothing about distinguishing the make/model of your bike by only being able to see the bottom half of the very back of it. If you really expect me to believe you can tell what any bike is going down the road by the view in that video, I'm going to laugh in your face.

You couldn't tell by looking at the bike it wasn't a LS650/S40?  Gee, the exhaust pipe, on the RIGHT SIDE, should have been a clue.  Then again, maybe not........... Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #14 - 10/14/12 at 19:10:02

RidgeRunner13 wrote on 10/14/12 at 08:43:58:

Hey, that's great news -- and I bet your 16" rim on the big bike is a tubeless rim too, isn't it?   I think the darksider guys on goldwings use 16" tires too (and they use a LOT of them darksider tires on them goldwings, too)

I wish we had one like it on the Savage, it would make life easier all the way around.   But still, we all do with what we have to work with.

Smiley

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 14:27:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › A Unique View on the 5th annual CAR TIRE WAR

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.