Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
I love the smell of gasoline in the morning...but (Read 145 times)
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
I love the smell of gasoline in the morning...but
09/02/12 at 17:48:35

In all seriousness, is it normal to have an odor of fuel about the bike that are 'natural' and not an indicator something is wrong? It is not strong, but noticeable enough to...well...notice. This is my first bike so I am not experienced enough to know whether this is normal with anything full of fuel and has a pressure relief cap.

I have checked the bike over and there are no leaks. It is a 2008 with ~900 miles and has been rejetted and tuned (runs pretty well now) and it was this way before any work or service as far as I recall.

I think it is just fumes from the gas cap that are finding their way out when I ride and the fuel is sloshing about in there, but wanted to see if there are any "things" I may want to check or be keeping an eye out for that could be causes other than the pressure relief from the cap?

I have read other posts where people ask about the smell of fuel from the airbox, but I have not checked mine yet to see if it is coming from there (there only or there also), so should I check that and if I do smell it there, what does that mean?  Light a match to get a closer look and then report those results  Smiley?

Thanks.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: I love the smell of gasoline in the morning...
Reply #1 - 09/02/12 at 17:57:24

A strong fuel smell from the airbox, will usually mean,.. either your float's stuck, or the vac petcock is leaking down the vac line...

You'll naturally get more fuel smell on hot days, particularly if your gas tank is full... (more venting)...

Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #2 - 09/02/12 at 18:00:58

Serowbot wrote on 09/02/12 at 17:57:24:
A strong fuel smell from the airbox, will usually mean,.. either your float's stuck, or the vac petcock is leaking down the vac line...

You'll naturally get more fuel smell on hot days, particularly if your gas tank is full... (more venting)...

Wink...

The carb was ultrasonically cleaned and rejetted ~200 miles ago so I want to think it is all in good shape (I know, anything mechanical can go out at any time).  Have checked the petcock vac line and it's good.  I will have to get into the airbox and report back.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #3 - 09/02/12 at 18:11:52

Serowbot wrote on 09/02/12 at 17:57:24:
Wink...

OK...I pulled off the airbox cover and there is an obvious 'whoosh' of odor that came out and when I pull out the filter and smell it, it smells of fuel odor. It's not like someone poured a few ounces of fuel in there, but it smells enough for me to think it's too much.

If I never see fuel anywhere and the bike runs very good, I am wanting to think it isn't the float sticking.  Other than the two items discussed, any other possibles causes such as the bike running rich?

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 09/02/12 at 18:13:51

Not with the stock jetting...

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #5 - 09/02/12 at 18:23:55

I just rechecked the petcock vacuum line (the little one with the metal sheathing that connects to the right side of the carb) and it looks and smells good. Ran a piece of paper towel in there to see if it pulled out any moisture and smell and nothing.  

I checked the larger (~3/8 inch) line on the left side coming from under the tank into the upper-left of the airbox and did the same with a paper towel and it seems clean and no residue of fuel there either.  

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #6 - 09/02/12 at 18:27:01

Serowbot wrote on 09/02/12 at 18:13:51:
Not with the stock jetting...

It was rejetted up a size. I don't know the size (lost the paper and I need to call them to ask), but I had the dealership do it while they were in there doing the initial service and cleaning the carb. The bike would only run on choke so we discussed and decided a rejet was the solution, to which it did resove the choke issue and it runs fine now.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 09/02/12 at 18:44:19

That's not enough to cause it,.. you would be fouling plugs...

If the filter ain't wet with gas,.. it's probably just normal...
it does lead to the carb, after all...
Wink...

If you still think somethings wrong,.. give a lite suck on on that vac line...
(no really)... then see if you get any gas down it..
Gas can only come down that line or through the float system...

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #8 - 09/02/12 at 18:56:21

Serowbot wrote on 09/02/12 at 18:44:19:
That's not enough to cause it,.. you would be fouling plugs...

If the filter ain't wet with gas,.. it's probably just normal...
it does lead to the carb, after all...
Wink...

If you still think somethings wrong,.. give a lite suck on on that vac line...
(no really)... then see if you get any gas down it..
Gas can only come down that line or through the float system...

Thanks Serowbot.  I will give it a little puff, but I won't inhale  Smiley

Seriously though, It all seems fine after checking the lines and I rode the bike this afternoon and checked the filter just now, so if it were to be soaked with fuel I thin I would have noticed it.  Your comment that it is all connected to the carb after all was my other thought, so I guess on these hot days it just makes for tank pressure.

I will keep an eye on it and get back in there if it seems to get worse...but it is a motorcycle, not a space ship, so a little fuel vapor shouldn't kill me...

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #9 - 09/02/12 at 20:45:40

theres a drain hose  out the bottom of the air box youu have to open the plug thats there to drain it

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #10 - 09/03/12 at 04:59:59

Hey Stew I got my LS650 not long ago myself and went through the same thing, bugged out alittle when I smelled gas near the bike. Went through everything like you and just came to the conclusion that it's part of the personality of the bike   Cool

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #11 - 09/03/12 at 05:44:32

I believe it come from the two float bowl ventilation tunes that are tucked up into the frame.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #12 - 09/03/12 at 05:52:12

That "smell of gas" is the reason California bikes, and all cars and trucks for the last thirty years or so, have the charcoal cannisters. The smell of gas is, in reality, evaporating gasoline being vented into the air. The  charcoal cannister adsorbs this evaporating gasoline and keeps it from getting into the environment. Then when the engine is started, fresh air is drawn through the cannister and into the air intake, which purges the gasoline from the cannister and burns it in the engine.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #13 - 09/03/12 at 06:01:47

When I was a kid I loved the smell of lawnmowers running,It much have been the lead in the gas ,You don't get that smell now days.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #14 - 09/03/12 at 07:56:23

ToesNose wrote on 09/03/12 at 04:59:59:
Hey Stew I got my LS650 not long ago myself and went through the same thing, bugged out alittle when I smelled gas near the bike. Went through everything like you and just came to the conclusion that it's part of the personality of the bike   Cool

Thanks for the 'support' in my madness. I am an over-analyzer, so I need to enjoy it and stop worrying.

thumperclone,
Thanks for the note on the vent/drain tube going out the bottom of the airbox. I will check and make sure that is free and clear.

ralfyguy,
I know exactly what you are referring to and wondered if that may be a source for some odor as well, and maybe it is.

Overall, I think everything is good-to-go from the sounds (annd smells) of it.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 04:31:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I love the smell of gasoline in the morning...but

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.