Send Topic Print
Ride Year Round (Read 108 times)
John
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ride Year Round
09/02/12 at 14:31:08

Does anyone on here ride year round, regardless of weather (minus snow or sever weather)?  If so, what gear do you use (and is it all waterproof)?  In particular, hands and feet?

Also, if you ride in rain, how do you avoid sliding out of control and losing traction? (or is that a symptom of needing a new tire?)

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Re: Ride Year Round
Reply #1 - 09/02/12 at 14:42:19

I have no problem riding in the rain.  This year I'm gonna try colder weather riding though and see if I can hack it.   As far as slipping out of control in rain,  your either pushing it to hard or you have tire issues.

For wet weather riding my jacket has a waterproof liner that I carry in my saddle bag.  I also have a fairly large windshield so it keeps the rain off pretty good as it is when I'm moving.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 09/02/12 at 15:53:58

Yes year around. summers a mesh jacket, and an unholy jacket the rest of the time.

Don't ride in the wet though, too many four wheeled hazards.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #3 - 09/02/12 at 18:08:06

I ride all year around, no matter it it's just 0 degrees. But I don't have to go far to work. I don't ride in the rain though. Did it once and the bike feels too unsafe on the wet road. Not that I am scared easily, but power is too much on/off like in the corners no matter how easy I try to be on the throttle. Then there is Verslagen's point with the other idiots around you. They are worse in the rain. Third point is that it messes up the bike a LOT! Stuff starts to rust in every nook and cranny and the bike looks like shite after in general. I don't like that at all. Besides I find it pointless to put up with getting rained on in the first place. Just not my thing.
But cold temperatures don't bother me. Just put on more stuff.
I come from Germany and it's cold there in winter. As a teenager I had a bike and was my only form of transportation to get to work and back. I rode the thing in a foot of snow and could not see where the ditches were. 30 years later I realize how insane I was back then. Nowadays I wouldn't ride the Savage in the snow for ANY job, no matter what the pay is! I like driving the car in the snow, like it almost better than without, but the problem is the others on the road scare me from 100 yards away. Cold yeah, but not snow.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #4 - 09/02/12 at 20:26:32

I try to ride at least a little year-round. I live on a gravel road, with clay as the underlying soil, so I try to avoid riding in the wet. Believe me, an improperly adjusted end gun on a center pivot irrigation system can make a muddy mess out of the road. For cold weather I use whatever long underwear is at hand, plus a snowmobile suit. The weak point is gloves, as anything insulated enough to stay warm is also so stiff as to make controls almost unusable. Same problem with boots, as anything warm enough gives a lot of difficulty with the shifter. Rides with temperatures below freezing tend to be short.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
J C Stokes

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 09/03/12 at 00:23:59

Depends on your geopgraphic location. I'm in New Zealand and can ride year round except in higher parts of the country. These areas would generally only be affected by snow and ice for two months. The most lethal thing you could encounter in autumn/winter is "black ice" the kind you can't see on cold mornings in shady places. It's too late when you encounter it on two wheels and it's at it's most invisible on black top road surfaces.
As far as rain goes, the relatively high bottom end of the Savage S40 front fender will ensure any shoe or low boot will fill rapidly with water. Any good motorcycle shop can sell you reasonable to excellent wet weather gear depending on your budget, same goes for boots. A post on this site sugessted using surgical gloves under your ordinary gloves to keep your hands dry. You have only three friends in motorcycling, your two mirrors and the big gap in front of you, most other things particularly homo sapiens of any gender are your enemy and this applies more so when it's wet.

IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #6 - 09/03/12 at 01:39:32

I ride from about 35 degrees to 106.
Hots a Denim Jacket and leather gloves
Cools Leather and Leather gloves.
Cold is insulated underwear, sometimes snow mobile pants and a Leather Jacket with insulated gloves. Nice leather driveing gloves or 4 wheeler insulated gauntlets. Warm and thin enough to feel and work the controls.
AND and Neck Gaiter!

Rain i avoid if i can but if im caught out in it or need or ride i ride. Just slow down and avoid grass ad mud whenever possible!!!

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #7 - 09/03/12 at 03:12:41

I ride between 60 and 80. Human instincts stop me from riding in any other temps Grin

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #8 - 09/03/12 at 03:18:02

+1 Routy ,I ride for fun to hot or to cold isn't fun.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
BOBD

Blacklick, Ohio
Reply #9 - 09/03/12 at 03:28:59

I agree with Routy and bill67. Too hot or too cold is no good. Anything around 60-80 is great! Might ride at 55 though. Not fun to ride in too hot or cold weather, so I don't. Retired and can ride when I darn well please, thank you.

« Last Edit: 09/03/12 at 10:45:14 by BOBD »  
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #10 - 09/03/12 at 04:53:48

In the early 90's I only had a bike and rode through the NY winters for two seasons about 14 miles to work, sometimes while snowing and worst after snow with ice.  I didn't have money for proper winter/rain gear other then having a good pair of boots and gloves, so I use to oil and use a honey conditioner on all my leathers to help make them water resistant which worked really well as long as you kept up on it.

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 09:42:17

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ride Year Round

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.