Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Another carb setting question... (Read 152 times)
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Another carb setting question...
08/30/12 at 19:07:51

I have a 2008 LS650 with ~900 miles. When I got it, it ran sluggish so I performed the spacer mod (shaved it to about 1/3) and adjusted the air mix screw to the best of my ability. With my limited motorcycle experience, I did fair and it ran a lot better than it did when I bought it (at 400 miles). I was concerned I may not perform a rejet properly so I let the dealership do it while they were doing my initial service and I think they did me fair (I really hate to pay for things I really could do if I struggled through it).

Anyhow, I got it back and I have to admit it runs a lot better than it even did after my mods, but the one thing the mechanic (an older experienced guy) said is that I shouldn't have done the spacer mod and along with the rejet, he had to replace the spacer to stock.  Fair enough I guess.

The bike runs great as far as I would say for my limited experience with motorcycles considering this is my first and I have ~450 miles in the saddle. One thing I have noticed (maybe being over analyzing) is that when I am cruising on the interior streets at around 40mph in 4th gear, if I let it slow to ~35mph, it seems like the bike starts to bog and I have to get in the throttle or downshift to get the RPMs back up.  Do I need to back out the air mix screw to allow more fuel in at this minimal throttle level because as I understand it, the white spacer controls the mid-range, and the air mix screw controls the first 1/8 or so of the throttle which is where I think I am when I experience this.

OR...am I just a sissy and not running the bike at high enough RPMs and I need to go change my panties and get in the gas harder? Maybe I am just not used to letting that little engine run at higher RPMs because I think I am tearing it up.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Re: Another carb setting question...
Reply #1 - 08/30/12 at 19:33:42

I think I asked this before, but here goes one more time,.......
Does the problem go away when you use 1 click on the choke ?

If it does, it needs the white spacer mod,....whether your experienced tech thinks it needs it or not.

The problem you're having at 40 mph in 3-4th gear is never going to be corrected by the air/fuel mix screw.

Advice,...don't ever start modding if you're going to give up on it and take it to a tech that always knows better.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #2 - 08/30/12 at 19:46:10

Routy wrote on 08/30/12 at 19:33:42:
I think I asked this before, but here goes one more time,.......
Does the problem go away when you use 1 click on the choke ?

If it does, it needs the white spacer mod,....whether your experienced tech thinks it needs it or not.

The problem you're having at 40 mph in 3-4th gear is never going to be corrected by the air/fuel mix screw.

Advice,...don't ever start modding if you're going to give up on it and take it to a tech that always knows better.

Sorry, it wasn't me that you asked before, but thanks for asking!

Before the rejet, YES, it only ran decent on half-choke. You guessed that one!

After the dealership work, (I asked that he correct the choke issue which was probably why the rejet) it now runs pretty good on no choke after warm. If I run it on half-choke now, which I don't need to, I think it spices it up a little but I will have to confirm this after the storm blows over...I haven't been riding all week.

So, it sounds like what I am thinking is not incorrect...that the spacer mod was helping.  And maybe with the rejet removing 2/3 might have been too much, but maybe I consider getting back in there and taking 1/3 off and testing it out, and worst case I order another spacer and have it handy if my tinkering makes matters worse instead of better?

I'm not an ingenious mechanic and want to give the old timers some credit for their knowledge and experience and don't want to ruin my new bike, but I guess that's why we are all here asking what we ask?   Smiley

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
SaVaGeEaRL

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Georgetown, KY
Reply #3 - 08/30/12 at 20:29:10

To keep from having to get another white spacer, most people that do the spacer mod remove it completely and keep it intact, and replace it with 3 washers. I can't say what number washers you use, cuz mine came with the jet kit I got here from Lancer. Usually you should only shave 1/2 of the spacer, not 1/3. The three washers from lancer is equal to 1/2 of the white spacer.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 08/30/12 at 23:07:31

A #4 teflon washer from Ace hardware is 2/3 of stock...

Jetting is a funky thing... it's easy to fool yourself, one way or the other...
You can test the main jet easy... See my tuning tips in the Tech Section...
Idle,.. without an O2 tester is just hunting for a smooth idle between 1 and 3 turns out on the mix...
The mid-range stuff is nuts... Huh...
I just try to average the mods from the idle and WFO main test...
If you like to fiddle with your toy,.. just play around with different options...
If you just want it over with,... average the main and idle mods, or don't even bother...  it ain't that important...
Your bike ain't working hard in it's happy place...

In general,... err on the side of rich on the main... and lean in the mid and idle...
That way,.. you'll have the safety at full throttle,.. but good mpg's...

The biggest mistake newbies make is overdoing, and over worrying...
More isn't better, or faster,.... and it just wastes gas...
Unless you go leaner than stock,.. you won't hurt the engine...
...and  if you make mods to intake or exhaust,.. and it runs crappy after,.. it generally needs a bit more fuel...

If you don't like to fool around... don't...
If you want to play with your toy,... make small changes, and be critical in your analysis... more isn't automatically better...
Faster bikes run slightly lean... although, slightly rich is easier on components...
But, it's all slight... going to extremes, just makes for a turd runner...

Mainly,.. I'm saying, don't worry... If it seems okay,.. it is okay...
Badly jetted bikes really let you know...

There are tons of bikes,.. (mostly Harleys)... out there, that are radically modded to run like cr@p...
It's so pitiful to see a "100hp" modded custom 30k bike,.. that can't out run a stock Savage...
Huh...

I ranted...
Sorry,.. half asleep,.. mild heat stroke...
It's not a tumour!... Huh...

PS... I've been trying get rid of a rattle in my water bottle for 2 weeks...
Still can't figure it out... (no, I can't ditch the bottle)...
That confession,.. may influence the credibility of my previous rant... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #5 - 08/31/12 at 05:59:53

Serowbot wrote on 08/30/12 at 23:07:31:
The biggest mistake newbies make is overdoing, and over worrying...
More isn't better, or faster,.... and it just wastes gas...
Unless you go leaner than stock,.. you won't hurt the engine...
...and  if you make mods to intake or exhaust,.. and it runs crappy after,.. it generally needs a bit more fuel...

Mainly,.. I'm saying, don't worry... If it seems okay,.. it is okay...
Badly jetted bikes really let you know...

Thanks for the feedback. I think I am probably worrying too much and just not used to how a (this) bike should run.  I may try the 2/3 spacer mod just to check the change, and it it is not correcting what I think the problem is, I will leave well enough alone.  

It runs good, don't get me wrong, I just think I am wanting it (subconsciously) to be a hot rod at all throttle and gear levels and I need to get that out of my head. I got it to relax and ride, not race and pop loud mufflers in traffic.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #6 - 08/31/12 at 18:41:47

stewmills wrote on 08/30/12 at 19:07:51:
....One thing I have noticed (maybe being over analyzing) is that when I am cruising on the interior streets at around 40mph in 4th gear, if I let it slow to ~35mph, it seems like the bike starts to bog and I have to get in the throttle or downshift to get the RPMs back up......

Stew,

It may just be me, but I try not to run mine (see signature block) below 40 mph in 4th gear.  And, if I DO find myself in 4th when going slower than 40 mph, I definitely downshift to 3rd if I need to gain speed, or if I hit an uphill grade (even a slight one).

JMO.....

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #7 - 09/01/12 at 06:01:14

Thanks, Digger.  I also read the new post "Halvors O2 tuning" this morning and the guys were talking about putting their spacer back in and getting better results (of course, combines with a variety of other adjustments). However, I think I am right there with you on the <40mph in 4th and downshifting if I hit an uphill.  I may or may not try 1/2 spacer, but I think I may need to quit changing things and let the bike get good and broken in (currently a little over 900 miles) and then see if it needs spicing up.  It's an overall greet bike (practically brand new) that I got at a good deal as a barn find so I need not complain.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #8 - 09/01/12 at 20:18:20

Stew,

Mine was a barn find, too (back in the day).  Had been sitting for a year with only 70 miles on it.

I dipped the carb and she was good to go.  I fooled around with the spacer some, but ended up putting it back in, as I was fouling plugs.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #9 - 09/02/12 at 06:49:09

Quoted:
One thing I have noticed (maybe being over analyzing) is that when I am cruising on the interior streets at around 40mph in 4th gear, if I let it slow to ~35mph, it seems like the bike starts to bog and I have to get in the throttle or downshift to get the RPMs back up.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-
I wonder if that description is near the same as,.......

Loafing along in 2nd or 3rd gear....30 mph, and experiencing a very noticable and irritating surging,....rough running condition, (which 1 click choke corrects) but perfectly good WOT acceleration from that point ??

If it is the latter, a 1/2 white spacer mod fixed it perfectly. And that is w/ all other things being stock.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #10 - 09/02/12 at 10:09:03

Routy wrote on 09/02/12 at 06:49:09:
I wonder if that description is near the same as,.......

Loafing along in 2nd or 3rd gear....30 mph, and experiencing a very noticable and irritating surging,....rough running condition, (which 1 click choke corrects) but perfectly good WOT acceleration from that point ??

If it is the latter, a 1/2 white spacer mod fixed it perfectly. And that is w/ all other things being stock.

Yes, that's very similar.  Since the rejet it runs pretty smooth.  Before the rejet it had surging, etc. when loafing, which 1 click on the choke would fix (for the most part).

I plan to try maybe a 1/3 shave of the spacer and see if that little bit trims out the wee little bit I still think I feel.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 09/02/12 at 10:48:08

I wish I hadnt shaved mine. There are washers that fit in there & you can use 3 or 2 & play with it, And if things dont go as planned, youll still have the stock washer & you can go back to square one,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 04:35:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Another carb setting question...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.