Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Remove rust and corrosion from chrome (Read 73 times)
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Remove rust and corrosion from chrome
09/02/12 at 10:28:52

I was looking to see if anyone and commented on this and couldn't find any direct references, so my apologies if it is there and I didn't see it.

Anyone ever use oxalic acid for cleaning up the chrome parts?  I got my bike as a barn find and it had minor rust, and I searched the web (before being a member here) and found a guy that restored old chrome bicycles. He swore by oxalic acid (commonly found in wood/deck cleaners and as a powder you can order and mix). I gambled with the stuff and bought some wood cleaner that was primarily oxalic acid and had great results. I soaked several chrome parts (side pillars, toolbox cover, saddle bag supports, nuts and bolts) in it for ~12 hours and it eliminated most of the rust (some things may need a little scrub with a pad or old toothbrush) and I saw no ill effects on the chrome and metal itself.

For tiny parts, there is also some stuff they sell at the hardware store called Krud Kutter-The Must for Rust that works pretty well if you put a dab on and scrub with an old toothbrush or put a little in an old milk cap and soak the tiny parts for an hour or so.  I used this stuff to clean the misc. chrome on my bike that I could not dip (tree, rims, etc.) and it polished it up like new with no negative effects though I made sure to rinse with water after the chemical treatment. The reason I didn't use this on the big parts is because it is $50+/gallon.

DISCLAIMER: As with all chemicals, I cannot speak for the warnings of this and all chemicals so make sure YOU read the safety precautions on anything you buy and follow THEIR instructions or risk the possible pain and suffering.  Don't mix the stuff with other stuff, don't drink the stuff, don't use it as eye drops, don't gargle with it, don't let it drip on paint surfaces you may not want ruined, and don't handle it with your bare hands.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Remove rust and corrosion from chrome
Reply #1 - 09/02/12 at 10:44:18

I use a suede brush on chrome. Brass wont scratch chrome & those things last a long time. Bristles are fine & close together & short enough to scrub a bit & not splay them out like road kill.
Ive been using Ospho, its discontinued, but Jasco ( dilute phosphoric acid), same stuff, same bottle, different label & about 1/2 the price, Its $6.00 a quart & Ospho usually lasts me a coupla years.I expect this stuff will, too.
A dot of stain on chrome about 1/8th" diameter usually has a tiny little spot, like a pin prick, in the middle of it, a quick buffing with the brush & a wipe of a Jasco dampened rag & Sweet Viola,,

For the spokes, after much pain & suffering I came to this.
About a 2' piece of parachute cord, pull the core strings out, wrap it around a spoke one full turn & saw away. Of course, putting a polish on the spoke first is a really good idea.
Done properly, the spoke will be too hot to touch &, while not exactly Chrome looking, they will be much nicer looking. I did notice that the leading edge of them simply would not come to a good luster, because the surfaces were pitted from hitting the dirt in the air.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #2 - 09/02/12 at 10:49:30

I use long strands of old T-shirts cut up on spokes, but something like parachute cord sounds like it might be easier TNX JOG  Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #3 - 09/02/12 at 10:50:45

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/02/12 at 10:44:18:
For the spokes, after much pain & suffering I came to this.
About a 2' piece of parachute cord, pull the core strings out, wrap it around a spoke one full turn & saw away. Of course, putting a polish on the spoke first is a really good idea.
Done properly, the spoke will be too hot to touch &, while not exactly Chrome looking, they will be much nicer looking. I did notice that the leading edge of them simply would not come to a good luster, because the surfaces were pitted from hitting the dirt in the air.

Thanks for that tip.  My spokes, while still look pretty fair, can use some polishing and that is the one thing I had not figured out a trick for.  I will definitely have to give that a try.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 09/02/12 at 11:38:50

These aluminum spokes definitely qualify for that old saying
A stitch in time saves 9.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 10:08:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Remove rust and corrosion from chrome

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.