Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Question on valve train sound, and idle speed (Read 280 times)
Blue04Savage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Question on valve train sound, and idle speed
Reply #15 - 09/08/12 at 20:41:49

At the risk of sounding stupid....

What does adding the 1/2" carb spacer actually do?

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #16 - 09/08/12 at 20:45:48

Blue04Savage wrote on 09/08/12 at 20:41:49:
At the risk of sounding stupid....

What does adding the 1/2" carb spacer actually do?

That mod richens the mid range throttle circuit.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Blue04Savage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 09/08/12 at 21:46:03

Alright, cool.  So it wouldn't richen the mixture throughout the throttle range?

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #18 - 09/08/12 at 21:51:55

Here is a video I took two years ago right after I got done adjusting the valves. It's still the same as of today, thanks to T6 that I switched to shortly after that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qHtGnULMvg&list=UUuVEcotnYSPsq-IkZ-_PwpA&inde...

IP Logged
Blue04Savage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 09/08/12 at 22:24:26

ralfyguy wrote on 09/08/12 at 21:51:55:
Here is a video I took two years ago right after I got done adjusting the valves. It's still the same as of today, thanks to T6 that I switched to shortly after that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qHtGnULMvg&list=UUuVEcotnYSPsq-IkZ-_PwpA&inde...

Thanks for posting the video.  I think your valvetrain sounds quieter than mine.  Would you agree?  Was it a lot of work to adjust your valves?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #20 - 09/09/12 at 07:23:15

Its a hassle, big hands make it more of a hassle, Getting the tools out & laid out, a stool, magnet for fishing out the dropped feeler gauge, flashlight is nice, not necessary,makes it less hassle.
If there is a tool I want for this, its a box end, 10 MM that curves, so it will drop down in there & sit right on that nut. Couldnt find one, didnt wanna heat mine & bend it, tho Ive done that on several wrenches.
Of course, the 90* flat blade. I got one at Sears, went home & ground the Phillips end to a flat blade turned opposite to the other end.
Prepare a place for the tank before you have it in your hands,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #21 - 09/09/12 at 09:13:01

You gotta pull the tank. For me the hardest part was getting the feeler in. What I eventually ended up with doing is that the first time I did it and had a hard time checking the gap with the different feelers, I just gave up on trying and just loosened all the adjusters. I mean I was in there deep anyways, so just start from scratch. Then I just put the 0.004 feeler in and screwed the adjuster snug with my fingers. I looked closely how the slot was in the screw was positioned just in case. Then I held it in place with the screwdriver and tightened the nut, making sure the adjuster didn't move. Then try to move the feeler around before you pull it out. If it comes out without having to pull hard on it, just go with that. It's close enough. If you go in there anyway, might as well just start from scratch and just adjust them all and not just check it.
In my case I admit that I went and checked a year later and found that nothing had changed. It sounded the same too. So from now on I just listen for changes. What is impressive on my bike is, that when the motor is still cold, it really has not the slightest tick at all. Once it warms up it sounds like in the video. So in my case I will not tear into there again until that sound changes.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #22 - 09/09/12 at 10:20:47

I bend the feelers into a Z shape & put a ski tip bend on the end,I can usually get it in to check the adjustment, so I dont have to mess with it if its still good. But, I did do as Ralf said a few times & the point is " Im all the way here now, no sense sweating that last step". & I agree with him all the way. It may take less time to just do that, I just wanted to see where it was. BUst the jam loose, back the adjuster out a bit, slip the feeler in & gently bring the adjuster down on it. If the feeler is being held at an angle because its against something, it makes it feel tighter than it is.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #23 - 09/09/12 at 11:04:13

I bent my feeler the same way. and still had trouble with getting it in right...that didn't sound right huh?  Grin

IP Logged
Blue04Savage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 09/09/12 at 21:01:06

Sounds like a pain in the a$$.  Do you guys think my valvetrain sounds overly loud given the video I posted?  Mind you I had the camera right up next to it.  The bike only has 3800miles on it.  I would have hoped that there wouldn't be anything wrong with it so early on.  Thoughts?  It only had 2800 on it when I bought it. 2004.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #25 - 09/09/12 at 21:45:17

Book calls for 1st valve adjust at 5,000 miles.. ride it,,

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 16:01:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Question on valve train sound, and idle speed

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.