Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Question on valve train sound, and idle speed (Read 280 times)
Blue04Savage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Question on valve train sound, and idle speed
08/30/12 at 14:30:08

Alright, well I had posted a previous post asking about how to tell what your idle speed was set at.  I got a few different answers (thank you), but thought it might be easiest just to post a video of my bike running so you guys/girls can actually hear it.  A few questions related to the posted video......

video link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CRT9-ipZXc

1.  It seems to me like i'm getting a lot of valve train noise.  I know these bikes are known for having a loud valvetrain, but i'm wondering what you all think about mine?  Does it sound normal, or like there is extra noise there?
2.  Idle speed seem ok?
3. Is there a gasket where the muffler meets up to the piping?  Or is it just a clamp tight seal between the two?  I have an exhaust leak at this point, and am just wondering if i'll need to order parts before I start taking it apart to fix it.  

The bike is a 04' savage with 3800miles on it.  I have only done 1 oil/filter change on it (bought it with 2800 miles on it), and used the rotella triple protection, but with no additives.  PLEASE NO OIL WARS.  I'm wondering if the valvetrain noise could be do to not adding that ZDDP booster that everyone seems to like?

Anyway, a bunch of questions, but I would appreciate any advice/insight that you guys could give me on any/all of them.  I just want to make sure the bike is running well.

lol One last question.....

I noticed that while cruising at 45-50mph in 5th gear, and mostly during evening when it's colder and probably more humid, my bike seems to studder some.  Ideas?

THANKS!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Question on valve train sound, and idle speed
Reply #1 - 08/30/12 at 15:23:03

Sounds fine to me... idle 1100 to 1200 rpm... just guessing..

Muffler has a thick lead impregnated gasket...

Stutter,.. maybe she wants 4th at that speed,... if you're a big fella'... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Blue04Savage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 08/30/12 at 15:31:15

Thanks for the reply Serowbot.

Ok cool.  So it's just a matter of perhaps tightening down the exhaust tighter to close the leak?  I'm assuming since it's thick, and lead.  I actually only weigh 160lbs.

Kinda brings up another question.  I guess the redline for these bikes is only 6500rpm, and they are supposed to be pretty torquey, but it seema to me that they don't chug along too well at low rpm.  Thoughts?

IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #3 - 08/30/12 at 15:40:04

IMHO the idle sounds real good. The rocker arms sounded noisy when you had your camera up near the top of the engine, probably ought to check the clearance. Verslagen1 did a great write-up here:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1325991352

There is a clamp and a connector between the header and muffler, that is where I would look. It is a real easy exhaust to work on. 2 nuts at the back bottom of the muffler. (don't lose the spacers and washers!) and 2 chrome nuts on the right foot peg assembly. And finally, 2 bolts at the top of the header. and the whole thing comes right off. Your oil is fine. That is one of the recommended oils.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1344471565

As for the stumbling, that is too broad of a subject and I am going to hope some of the other guys chime in.

His: 1987 LS650F stock except for 98 engine, Dyna muffler. Hers: 2008 S40 with factory bags, windshield and sissybar.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 08/30/12 at 16:50:19

Blue04Savage wrote on 08/30/12 at 14:30:08:
I noticed that while cruising at 45-50mph in 5th gear, and mostly during evening when it's colder and probably more humid, my bike seems to studder some.

I'm going to guess you mean it's lugging.
I'd expect that at 35, not 45.
but mines rejetted and aftermarket exhaust to give it a little more power than stock, might happen to one that's compromised in the low rpm range.
This can happen with pod filters or open pipes.

WWW   IP Logged
Blue04Savage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 09/01/12 at 21:08:45

Thanks for all the replies.  Sorry for the delayed response.

Where to start......

Sounds like an easy fix for the exhaust.  I looked at the write up by verslagen, very nice.  I'm thinking about tackeling it myself, but i'm not very familiar with motorcycles, so I don't want to screw it up.  I've done major work on cars before though.  I assume the principles are the same.  An engine is an engine right?

The studder I was mentioning is actually just that.  It's not lugging.  It's not like it just doesn't have enough power to pull itself through.  It's more as if it had a misfire or something.  It doesn't run smooth in the situation I described.  It would be almost like if you were running a V8 with only 7 cylinders firing, but not quite as bad.  Does that make sense?

That's the best way I can describe it really.  When I get it up around 55 or so, it's basically fine.  The odd thing though is it only seems to be in 5th gear, and so doesn't seem to be related to rpm-mph.  I don't quite understand it.

Could the exhaust leak I have be affecting it possibly?  Maybe the back pressure just isn't quite right, and with the conditions described, it causes this?   Long shot right?

Thanks again.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 09/01/12 at 21:21:09

TRy holding the gas dead steady in that stutter zone & note the rpm.
Drop a gear & try to get the same rpm or just a hair lower & hold it steady & see if it does it. If it does, try a new plug,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Blue04Savage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 09/01/12 at 21:51:05

Justin:
Good suggestion.  That's exactly what I did already.  I couldn't tell you the exact rpm, for I have no tach, but everything is stock on the bike.  There is a RPM chart on here, so I can just go off that.  I'm pretty good at hearing an rpm, and being able to match it in another gear, so I did that.  I doesn't do it.  So basically I can be in 5th, it does it, and then same rpm (or at least darn close) in another gear, and it doesn't seem to do it.  It also seems to be worse at night when it's cooler, and typically more humid.

I think you might be right about the spark plug.  That was one of my thoughts also.  When I address the valvelash I will just replace the spark plug also.

Do you guys recommend a certain spark plug that seems to work really well for these bikes?  I don't care about the price.

Thanks again!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 09/01/12 at 22:27:02

Do you guys recommend a certain spark plug that seems to work really well for these bikes?  I don't care about the price.

Boooy, have I Gotta Deeaaall For YOU!  You send me $40.00, thats Right! ONLY Forty Dollars,, & I will send To YOU,,a Special Spark PLug, AND, if you act now, I will Pay the Freight! Yes, I said it,, I will pay the freight Right outta MY pocket,,
But you must act Now,, sale price is going off in 10 minutes & then it will be $49.95 PLus Freight,,

Ohh,, & to reply to

Justin:
Good suggestion.  That's exactly what I did already.

Good Suggestion? GOOD? Heck Fire, Booy,, we talking Sheer Genius!
& I know YOull agree,, cuz that makes you one , too,,  Wink

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Blue04Savage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 09/02/12 at 08:13:02

justin:

RIIIIIGHT.  Actually I had already tried what you suggested.  Believe it or not i'm not an idiot, and thought to try that.  Not just saying so because you suggested it.  

About the spark plugs.  There are nuts one and good ones.  There are often spark plugs that tend to work better in certain cars/bikes for example.  My buddy had a 600cbr that was carb'd, and the dealer kept suggesting a certain type of plug, but it kept fouling out.  He switched to a hotter plug and the thing ran like a top.

No need to be a smart ass.  Wink    I wouldn't be asking about it if it wasn't weird, because I would have likely figured it out already.

IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #10 - 09/02/12 at 09:20:06

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spark-Plugs-Engine-Digital-Tach-Hour-Meter-Tachometer...

these tachs are probably not that good, but the one i bought ,which is the same thing works good and easy to install.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 09/02/12 at 09:48:06

I wasnt being a smart ass,, That was Supposed to be funny.

IP Logged
Blue04Savage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 09/02/12 at 13:58:00

rl153 wrote on 09/02/12 at 09:20:06:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spark-Plugs-Engine-Digital-Tach-Hour-Meter-Tachometer...

these tachs are probably not that good, but the one i bought ,which is the same thing works good and easy to install.

I guess for $10 you can't really go wrong if it gives you a close to accurate reading.  Thanks for the link.  Perhaps i'll pick one up just to give it a try.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #13 - 09/03/12 at 05:52:08

You'll be hard pressed to beat the OEM plug ! Unless you are jetted way off, they last forever.

As far as the rough running, surging at low throttle, I think you could be looking at needing a 1/2 spacer mod, but I'm not sure.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Blue04Savage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 09/08/12 at 20:39:44

Thanks for the replies everyone.  I'm torn now about tearing the bike apart to check the valvelash, or not.  I just want to ride the darn thing, but dont' want to do so if there is a problem you know?  With only 3800 miles on the bike, I would hope everything was alright still.  Thoughts?

Any chance anyone who knows FOR SURE that their valves are set right could send me a link to a video of their bike running?  Perhaps with the camera close to the valves like I did on the link on put up?  I know it's a pain, but i'd really appreciate it so I could get a better idea if I really do need to adjust my valves or not, without tearing it apart to check.

Thanks again!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 15:39:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Question on valve train sound, and idle speed

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.