Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Blue and gold...chrome... (Read 80 times)
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Blue and gold...chrome...
08/29/12 at 17:56:51

At what temperature does chrome turn gold?... and then blue?...

I'd like to gold a few parts on purpose... Do ya' think I can do it in an oven?...
Say, at 450f'?... Huh...  ... or do ya' think I'd have to use a propane torch?...

I'm generally dangerous with fire... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Re: Blue and gold...chrome...
Reply #1 - 08/29/12 at 18:04:43

IIRC it's around 450f° for the start of the discoloring then around 900f° for it to start turning blue.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #2 - 08/29/12 at 19:59:01

Bot, in researching your question I found, once again, you are on the wrong side of the question.  Grin 99% of my research shows how to remove bluing from chrome. www.bssa.org.uk/140 may help. Of course the main question is how much chrome is in the pipe, which makes sense.
I have one thought that may be legitimate. Gun bluing could be used, but it would take a lot of guessing and practice. Plus it may give more of a "black chrome" look than you want. I have used the liquid bluing, but it also comes in a paste, which might be easier to control. Anyway, give it a look see.  Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 08/29/12 at 22:12:08

Welding supply stores sell "crayons" that melt at certain temps. You could get a piece of chrome & scrape crumbs off & press them on it, or mark the steel, or both, heat to desired effect & see if the oven will get to that temp.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 08/29/12 at 22:56:49

Bugga!,...    looks like torch n' eyeball time... Huh...

I fear the torch, dreadful... Smiley...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 08/29/12 at 23:15:42

Before I lite my torch, I lay out the project & do a dry run with the torch. I hold it, go thru the liting procedure, move it to the project & move it like I plan on using it, I look for anything in the area that mite get hot thats not part of the project. If Im outside, I rake leaves & wet the ground. Sometimes, I even use the water hose. Nothing scares me like fire,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 15:27:45

General CategoryThe Cafe › Blue and gold...chrome...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.