Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Pines take on the Raptor Petcock (Read 343 times)
Pine
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mississippi, USA
Pines take on the Raptor Petcock
08/27/12 at 08:06:13

So I installed the Raptor petcock. At the time, I was not aware of ANY issues related to the fuel delivery on MY bike. The bike ran well, and all was good.

Installation of the new petcock was straight forward and without issue. I did remove the seat and loosen the strap that holds the tank on to better aid in removing the old petcock. I also DID purchase a vaccume block off, that seemed to fit perfectly ( $2.46 for a pack of 6).

On my two 10 mile rides. I have noticed a difference in the bike. Now understand I am not very knowledgable in super technical workings of carbs.  I do  not think that my bike ( the carb) was starved for gas, or that the delivery of gas has now changed significantly from that of th stock petcock, however, there does seem to be a change in how the bike runs. If it is NOT due to simply fuel delivery, then it must be due to the vaccume change.

I cannot say that change is GOOD or BAD... its just different. The bike seems to be quicker to rev up and slower to come back down off the revs. Rather like a hyper active kid, that wont settle down. Perhaps a bit more pep, but with it a less control of the rpms.

My theory is that I have plugged a small vaccumm leak (which was desgned in) and now that carb is much more efficient at drawing gas through the various circuits. The unplanned for increase in vaccume may mean that my carb will need adjusting, mostl likely to lean it back out a tad.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Re: Pines take on the Raptor Petcock
Reply #1 - 08/27/12 at 08:14:35

I found  the same Pine, and the bonus of the Raptor clearing the frame effortlessly is a huge bonus IMO.

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 08/27/12 at 08:25:25

With the stock vac petcock always fighting to deliver the requested gasoline flow, you always had a partially depleted float bowl level in the past when you were running hard.

Now your float level is always sitting right at the cut off line and you get "the correct metered gas amount" at all throttle settings no matter what you do.   This is especially noticable when you whack the throttle open and ask the bike to GO !!!

Yes, your bike does run better with the Raptor, especially if your bike is performance modded.

« Last Edit: 08/27/12 at 10:55:36 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
RanDaMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
Reply #3 - 08/27/12 at 10:54:59

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 08/27/12 at 08:25:25:

With the stock vac petcock always fighting to deliver the requested gasoline flow, you always had a partially depleted float bowl level in the past when you were running hard.

Now your float level is always sitting right at the cut off line and you get "the correct metered gas amount" at all throttle settings no matter what you do.   This is especially noticable when you whack the throttle open and ask the bike to GO !!!

Yes, your bike does run better with the Raptor, especially if your bike is performance modded.

There's a performance mod you can do to the Raptor?  Huh

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 08/27/12 at 11:00:22

RanDaMan wrote on 08/27/12 at 10:54:59:
Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 08/27/12 at 08:25:25:

There's a performance mod you can do to the Raptor?  Huh

Yup, you can quit stalling & procrastinating over your faulty stock vac unit and go get you a Raptor for $16 shipped and INSTALL THE SILLY THING.

Suddenly your bike works much better -- that's a performance mod isn't it?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #5 - 08/27/12 at 14:02:08

"My theory is that I have plugged a small vaccumm leak (which was desgned in) and now that carb is much more efficient at drawing gas through the various circuits. The unplanned for increase in vaccume may mean that my carb will need adjusting, mostl likely to lean it back out a tad."
I posted the exact same conclusion when I did mine and was told I was wrong- such a small change in vacuum would not make any difference.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #6 - 08/27/12 at 14:40:51

Before we were told that the suck went nowhere and no air moved, now they are admitting .....

"it's a leaky rubber ducky"

Weeeeee !!!!   Ain't that fun?

Cheesy   Cheesy   Cheesy   Cheesy   Cheesy

You guys need to help me ask the next dumb questions ---

"Where does the air come from then to fill the leaky rubber ducky?"  
the rubber ducky is solid, air goes past it, not in it
"What path does the air take?"  
from the intake, to the vac line, past the rubber ducky, to the diaphragm
"Is this a lot of air leaked over time, or just a few cc's worth?"  
the chamber in which the diaphragm lives is small,
"So, the leakage to release the diaphragm and cut off the gas flow is intentional, right?"
yes, otherwise you'd have a lot more problems with gas in the crankcase
"What if there is just a little more leakage than intended, could this give us a few of the symptoms we see of gas cutting off when we don't want it to -- like when we are idling at a stop light for example ...."
yes, for the case of the sudden decel from superslab to stop, a quick shutoff of gas will make the problem worse
Have some fun with it, Verslagen and Lou are actually experts on these vac petcocks and they actually can answer questions like these if they are asked.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #7 - 08/27/12 at 15:04:59

OF- I have given this some thought and you are right- in a properly functioning vacuum petcock there is no vacuum leak.
However, the air in the vacuum line and the spring effect of the diaphragm and return spring act as a "vacuum spring" (you are slightly decompressing that air when the vacuum is on, and that decompression varies with engine speed. When you back off the throttle that spring will "snap back", possibly affecting the mixture in a small way temporarily. JMHO.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 08/27/12 at 15:43:08

Actually the opposite is true, the micro squids use a resevoir on their intake to boost performance, probably around 10 oz.  

So the ounce in our vac line to our 650 lung is inconsequencial.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #9 - 08/27/12 at 16:20:39

OK, we now have a possible rational explanation of when the high speed run ends, why the bike dies at the stop light, stop sign, or top of the exit ramp.

You have an intentional designed-in leak down effect, intended to relieve the suction valve that locks the gas open during run time to permit the gas valve to slowly close when the engine is off.  

We got Lou saying his petcock he just took apart has a rubber component in this area that is converting itself into smeary bubble gum (possibly due to something in the gas ????)

We got reasons to think we have symptoms that may match what this bubble gum valve component might affect -- but that is all, really.  You got sudden low system vacuum after a stretch of higher vacuum, the internal relief function over does it a bit and the gas valve shuts off.

(shudder -- if this is true, it certainly sucks)

What we do have that is concrete and real is 50% of the tech head sample taken having shown they have some sort of vac petcock error symptoms.   Same 50% are saying installing the Raptor made the bad things stop.  

We don't have to totally understand the why, we just have to understand that it does happen.

Other 50% of the sample is saying "What the heck are you guys talking about, my bike has NEVER done any of that !!"  Unless you have had it happen to you, how can you get a reality grasp or "handle" on this stuff?

So, rest happy until the symptoms appear on your bike, then recognize them and act accordingly.

As Serowbot said, it is all complete nonsense until it occurs on YOUR bike !!!  

Then it becomes serious business that you need to pay attention to.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
lacon
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Knoxville, TN
Reply #10 - 08/28/12 at 04:54:10

How about posting a part # (or #'s) for the Yamaha Raptor petcock.
I'm not having any trouble with my stock one, but would like to order one when convenient so as to have one on hand when needed or accessing the spark plug - whichever comes first.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #11 - 08/28/12 at 05:40:05

Never denying that the vac petcock can give trouble after age sets in, or sooner.... if the 4 screws have never been tightened correctly in the first place, I have never read such a bunch of hog wash,.....that comes strictly from "PETCOCK PARANOIA" set up by a couple people, that prey on unsuspecting nubys that don't have the foggiest idea how the vacuum petcock even works.
"PETCOCK PARANOIA" has set in so bad here that imaginations are running completely wild,......as has been shown not only by the OP here, but many others as well.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #12 - 08/28/12 at 06:07:44

LoL Routy,  just having the ease of clearence from the Raptor was enough for me to spend $14    Cheesy

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
MiCTLaN

O_o

Winter Haven, FL
Reply #13 - 08/28/12 at 06:42:55

lacon wrote on 08/28/12 at 04:54:10:
How about posting a part # (or #'s) for the Yamaha Raptor petcock.

I think a vacuum petcock must have kicked Oldfeller's dog at some point.

Here are links I've bookmarked from a couple of different threads.
http://www.ronayers.com/ProductDetails/N/687/SKU/808680
http://www.bikebandit.com/search?q=5LP-24500-01-00

I've had issues myself though, and I know that I had issues with one of my previous bikes that had a vacuum petcock.  I've had the bike completely die on me a couple of times only to start back up a minute later, and last weekend I managed to run out of gas because I forgot I had flipped the petcock over to prime.  So... raptor it is.

I don't mind having to turn off a manual petcock when I'm done riding, the hard part is remembering that it's still off when I get back on to ride it.  I used to be in the habit, I'm sure I'll pick it up again when I raptorize my ride.

I'm curious if anyone has had any major issues (like a cylinder full of fuel) from using a Raptor... I've head it mentioned a couple of times, but just as a "what if".

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #14 - 08/28/12 at 07:08:17

We have all been watching for the first "fuel in sump" episode that resulted from a Raptor converstion.  And by all, I mean all of the folks who have converted over to the Raptor, so it isn't just me or Routy looking.

We have had two persons (who both admitted having bad float needle valves as a pre-existing condition before they put the Raptor on) who had gas in the airbox still after their Raptor conversion.  Both immediately replaced said needle valve and fixed their issues.   Gas in airbox only, none in the sump according to the two people involved.

We have ONE (1) person,  Joe F  who says he dropped his bike and had fuel leak out because of the Raptor, but he has not come back to provide any of the details.  He has been PM'd, but has not replied as of yet at all.   Routy needs to get up with the man and get him to talk to us,  as we all really do want to know his story.

Eventually, we will get a gas in sump episode.  Somebody will park a bike at an odd downhill angle or have it fall over and lay in the parking lot for a few hours or some other set of odd circumstances will make one happen.

It's been several years now, but it hasn't happened yet.  

So the watch continues .....

=====================================================

Question for Routy,

If 50% of the people taking the last poll (21 of them)    http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1345820468/45#45    all listed bad vac petcock symptoms and flat said that the Raptor made all the bad stuff stop --- are all 21 persons delusional?

=====================================================

Cheap Chinese LONG DROP PETCOCK for $16 shipped

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Right-Hand-Suzuki-LTZ-400-LTZ400-Fuel-Gas-Petcock-Pet...

Looks like folks have started peddling the Chinese rip-off of the long shank Raptor petcock fairly cheaply --
of course somebody has to actually order one and try it out before we will all KNOW it fits up properly.

Watch out, they are saying it has a RIGHT HAND gas nipple location which would be correct, depending on if you really are standing beside the left side of the bike looking straight on to the side of the tank.

Cheesy

Still, $16 with shipping is a lot better than Yamaha pricing of $24 with $7 shipping on top of that.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 23:48:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Pines take on the Raptor Petcock

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.