Engine side covers (Read 125 times)
highlander10
YaBB Newbies

Keep Walking

Groningen, Netherlands
Engine side covers
08/25/12 at 01:23:41

Hi savages,
I am on the procedure of painting the engine's side covers. So i took them off and i saw this part - red frame in the photo - that i can't remember if it is OK like that...I know there was a topic about it....

Second, I do not remember which screw goes where on the covers since the have different lengths.

cheerz

oi_001.JPG
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Re: Engine side covers
Reply #1 - 08/25/12 at 01:55:36

The Tech section is full of advice on how to determine how much and when the tensioner needs to be replaced with a verslay modded one or if ya can't wait for him to get one ready for ya, a new timing chain.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1191167029

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 08/25/12 at 02:56:37

The best way to put the right screws back into the right holes is to make a little drawing of the piece on some cardboard before you take it apart, and punch little holes in it to put the screws in as you remove them.  Not only will that help you with the screw length - it will help you get the 3 sealing washers in the right place.

The next best way is to set the screws into the holes randomly, and rearrange them so the screws have the same length of bolt sticking out before you start screwing them in.  This method works pretty well for the side covers - but the cylinder head cover does not work that way.

The link for the chain tensioner probably shows you where the sealing washers go - but for the length just put the longest screws in the holes where the case edges are the thickest - and try to get all the screws to stick out the same amount prior to screwing anything in.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #3 - 08/25/12 at 18:26:20

High,

Careful though, some of those screws are supposed to have gaskets with them.

Good luck!

« Last Edit: 08/26/12 at 19:28:13 by Digger »  

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #4 - 08/25/12 at 18:28:06

The link I provided has a pic that points to where the longer bolts plus points to where the bolts with washers go.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 08/25/12 at 19:46:36

This is a lesson learned. How well I remember taking things apart that had different length bolts & not having a system for putting them back..
\IIRC, it was a water pump, back in the 70's.. Man what a puzzle I created, those brackets ,, Yea,, I remember,, it was a water pump, I got a lot more scientific after that.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
Reply #6 - 08/25/12 at 22:02:56

photo. not mine

thx guys, who posted that in this site

Clutch_Cover_01.jpg

Yeah, it's not bigtwin, but it is the best half of it
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 08/26/12 at 06:24:44

& if youll look closely at the end of the nut on the foot peg mount, youll see its been scuffed up.They get like that in a good corner,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 06:18:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Engine side covers

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.