Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Suggestions on highway pegs, + a Q on air filter? (Read 208 times)
Blue04Savage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Suggestions on highway pegs, + a Q on air filter?
08/23/12 at 18:50:53

Well i'm 6'2", and I feel like the bear at the circus riding the little bike while on my bike. lol  My legs are just too long to stretch out at all on this bike, and i'm always scrunched up.  If I sit on the passengers seat it's closer to the distance I need/want.

I just did the front of the seat lift mod to the bike today.....gotta say i'm pretty happy with that.  Definitely a lot less sliding forward.

ANYWAY....... My question.......

Do you guys/girls have any suggestions for some highway pegs I could mount onto my highway bars?  I would prefer something that doesn't stick way out, and hopefully isn't super expensive.  Any suggestions?  

If I can tack on another question, so as to avoid multiple posts, is it normal for the air cleaner to smell like gas on these bikes?  Stupid question.......I know.

Thanks!

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Re: Suggestions on highway pegs, + a Q on air filt
Reply #1 - 08/24/12 at 07:18:21

Heya Blue,

I don't know about highway pegs, but here's a link to the forward controls which might interest you   Wink
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1202177312

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Blue04Savage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 08/24/12 at 07:31:07

Toes,
Those do look pretty cool, but I think i'm going to just keep it simple and stick with the high way pegs for now.  I did find these, but they may be kinda cheesy.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://i.ebayimg.com/t/SUZUKI-SAVAGE-PAIR...

Huge link. lol  Sorry.  Just incase anyone is interested.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #3 - 08/24/12 at 07:39:05

Blue04Savage wrote on 08/24/12 at 07:31:07:
Toes,
Those do look pretty cool, but I think i'm going to just keep it simple and stick with the high way pegs for now.  I did find these, but they may be kinda cheesy.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://i.ebayimg.com/t/SUZUKI-SAVAGE-PAIR...

Huge link. lol  Sorry.  Just incase anyone is interested.

I understand the wanting to keep it simple, but myself at 6'1"  I can attest to the fact Forward controls will make a big difference in rider comfort for us taller guys.  Myself I have a set of 6" forwards and man did it make a difference.  I'm also still considering a set of hwy pegs myself for those times I'm out on long stretches of hwy like a super slab.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Blue04Savage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 08/24/12 at 21:25:43

RFW
Understood.  Realistically it would be the best solution to my problem.  I'm probably not going to keep the bike for more than another year or so though (I just want something bigger/faster etc).  I don't really want to modify it in a manner that might turn someone off from buying it later on.  

I'm wondering though, if I were to do a mod like this, do you have to get new clutch and brake cables?  It doesn't seem like something that would be just a quick bolt on type of job.  It actually looks like it would be quite a bit of work, and would end up costing a decent amount of $ for the extra parts.  Am I wrong?

I don't want to invest much into a bike that i'm just going to sell later you know?

Thanks for the input.

It looks like my engine protector bars are only 1" thick, which makes it hard to find highway pegs that would even fit it.  I think it may just be left as is, and i'll have to deal with it until I sell it eventually.

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #5 - 08/24/12 at 21:37:35

Blue, I bought some Drag Speciality fold outs at my cycle shop for less than $25. I mounted them to my Suzuki crash bars in 15 minutes. Not great looking, but with my back like it is I flip one or the other side and use just one at a time to relieve cramps and numbness. I think JC Whitney has some also. Be sure to measure your bar diameter.  Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #6 - 08/24/12 at 21:52:22

Blue04Savage wrote on 08/24/12 at 21:25:43:
RFW
Understood.  Realistically it would be the best solution to my problem.  I'm probably not going to keep the bike for more than another year or so though (I just want something bigger/faster etc).  I don't really want to modify it in a manner that might turn someone off from buying it later on.  

I'm wondering though, if I were to do a mod like this, do you have to get new clutch and brake cables?  It doesn't seem like something that would be just a quick bolt on type of job.  It actually looks like it would be quite a bit of work, and would end up costing a decent amount of $ for the extra parts.  Am I wrong?

I don't want to invest much into a bike that i'm just going to sell later you know?

Thanks for the input.

It looks like my engine protector bars are only 1" thick, which makes it hard to find highway pegs that would even fit it.  I think it may just be left as is, and i'll have to deal with it until I sell it eventually.

while I can't attest to ED.L's here on the forum as I don't have a set of his, Routy's I do.  He includes extentions for the shifter and brake cables, so it's an all in one kit that is simple to bolt on and remove and go back to original.  No extra cables were needed to be bought.  I got mine done in about 1 hour with no help and nothing to lean the bike against while I had the kickstand side off.

Before I even consider adding a set of the hwy bars & pegs I'm gonna have to get a new Handlebar first.  The stock buck horn style that is on my bike are just way to narrow and the angle of the grips is wrong for me as well.  I have some broad shoulders that go along with the rest of my big body so that is on my next to do for comfort reasons.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
BOBD

Blacklick, Ohio
Reply #7 - 09/04/12 at 09:10:10

Blue04Savage: Here's some highway pegs you might like: http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/small-iso-pegs-with-1-inch-diameter-clamps-... I have them on my S40. I am 6'3", but don't have long legs. Have a long body and short legs. My parents didn't use the stretching machine right!

IP Logged
Blue04Savage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 09/08/12 at 20:32:23

Ok, thanks everyone.  I didn't realize the kit came with everything you needed, and was easy to pull off and put back to stock.  That certainly makes a difference.

BOBD, those pegs look like they would be pretty good.  Are you happy with them?

IP Logged
BOBD

Blacklick, Ohio
Reply #9 - 09/09/12 at 03:08:23

Yes I am so far. Have not rode with them on it yet. I just bought the bike and had trouble getting the memorandum title before temporary ran out. Will ride it this week and tell you then.

« Last Edit: 09/09/12 at 05:13:42 by BOBD »  
  IP Logged
TROX

More ideas than $$$

Temple, TX
Reply #10 - 09/09/12 at 04:08:16

Just to throw in my 2 cents, I also have a pair of 5" Ed. L's and they are great. Stretch the legs out just fine.  

Here's a pick of mine : http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1347050558/22#22

IP Logged
BOBD

Blacklick, Ohio
Reply #11 - 09/10/12 at 09:58:17

Took a ride today with the pegs on the engine guard. I like them, but you have to get used to how close they are to the brake pedal and gear shift. Especially the brake pedal. I road for a while with my heel on lower peg and toes on the other peg. A different position to change to. I guess you could say 4 different positions if you want to hang your legs off end of engine guard peg. Not sure I would do that with really long legs. Would probably need some extra padding for long distances.

Added some extenders to highway pegs. Put them out 4", might be able to go to 5 or 6", but I didn't. I don't have long legs so this works for me.

« Last Edit: 09/17/12 at 12:19:01 by BOBD »  
  IP Logged
Blue04Savage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 09/10/12 at 12:38:27

Alright cool.  Thanks for the replies.  I'll probably just go with those for the highway pegs if/when I pick some up.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 08:16:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Suggestions on highway pegs, + a Q on air filter?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.