Send Topic Print
quick opinions please (Read 79 times)
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

quick opinions please
08/23/12 at 17:54:05

been gone a while. New job, new hobbies etc etc. Anyway...

'95 w/ Lancer carb set up
raptor petcock
mini battery

Bike just died the other day while riding with some friends. No warning, no popping...just stopped. Assumed Id run out of gas though it'll usually give me a hiccup or two before dying so I crank it right back up, no problem, and proceed to the nearest gas station. I actually had run out of gas..almost (left it on reserve).
Anyway I fill up, and am about to pull out in traffic and it dies again, no warning. I go for a short ride with friends and this happens several more times. Each time it starts right back up. Each time this happens at idle. The final time this happened i saw my lights dim just a bit and got going again in time to save it from dying. The rest of the last mile home I have to keep the revs consistantly high in 1st to keep from stalling at every stop sign.
I just cleaned the carb a few weeks ago, just oiled my KN filter and have had no issues until yesterday. My idle speed is correct.
My next thought is that my mini battery is going bad (bought a cheapo chinese version off ebay 2 years ago) and not taking a full charge or that my alternator isnt putting out a proper charge. Well...I took out my battery, checked it with a volt meter and it's just where it should be. Just for kicks i put on the charger and the charger agrees...full charge which means that 1 - the battery is still good 2 - the alternator is still charging. Terminals are clean, battery cables arent corroded.
Went up and down the wiring harness several times looking for shorts or opens of any kind to no avail.
Now im kerflunkered. Voltage regulator maybe?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: quick opinions please
Reply #1 - 08/23/12 at 18:27:49

so you couldn't just give the idle speed screw a twist to get the rpm's up, you had to go above a high idle?

attach a volt meter while you're riding and check the voltage to see if it drops when you see the problem, I think it's a short, this will confirm.

WWW   IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 08/23/12 at 18:35:45

No tach, but im geussing I had to be at about 2k rpm to keep the lights as they ought to have been for the last mile of the trip. It also didnt happen every time i came to a stop until the last mile. And when it did die it wasn't right away. It would idle for a minute or two while sitting at a light or what have you , then...bam - dead. When i did get home after the last mile of consistantly high revs. I let it sit in the driveway a minute an idle...no problem.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 08/23/12 at 18:44:33

Her's my theory...
When you ran her dry,...you sucked up some gunk from the bottom of the bowl into a jet, causing hard starting, which made you over-crank and kill yer' cheapass, tiny, Chinese battery...
Grin...
Need a carb clean and a big-boy battery...
Huh...

« Last Edit: 08/23/12 at 22:19:41 by Serowbot »  

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 08/23/12 at 20:08:07

Could be Wink

IP Logged