babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Another gun thread...
08/22/12 at 16:35:04

Didn't want to hijack Bill's thread. I want one of these, but haven't pulled the trigger yet... so to speak...  Anybody own one?

Taurus/Rossi revolver rifle the "Circuit Judge".  Shoots a .410 shotshell or .45 long Colt.  They are making it in a lever action now too.  I really want one, but I'm torn between the classic beauty of the wood stock, and the tactical black synthetic.

I hope there is someone here who has one, or has at least shot one!

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Another gun thread...
Reply #1 - 08/22/12 at 17:32:07

Cosmetically I can see why you are torn.

The gun does nothing else for me. I am not yet ready to trust this dual caliber nonsense.

--Steve

IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #2 - 08/22/12 at 17:35:39

I have never fired one so I can't help there. My neighbor has the Judge handgun and loves it. The Public Defender Poly is my next purchase. Keep in mind the .45 has to travel further in this cylinder than a traditional cowboy gun before it sees rifling. It will affect accuracy but I believe the long barrel will correct most of that. And for this particular weapon, I like the wood stock.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #3 - 08/22/12 at 17:48:56

Piglet, keep in mind accuracy is going to suffer being a dual cal.
The rifle is meant more as a close range pot filler and home defense weapon.
The 45 wont be a tack driver and the 410 pattern will open up quick. You'll get a small velocity loss due to it being a revolver and haveing a gap at the throat(front of the cyl).
If your wanting something for beside the bed to load with buckshot or 45s for things that go bump in the night. Its a good gun. If you want it for dove or squirrel hunting you'd be better off with a standard 410 pump.

Ive seen em, never used em. But ive got  45/410 barrel for my thompson pistol. Its an up close and personal kinda thing. Just like the Judge Pistol.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 08/22/12 at 18:29:53

I like it. I like the pistol version a lot. It would make a good camp gun, a 410 slug will knock a lot of stuff down up close,.I would want the synth stock, so I didnt have to worry about every little thing it touched.
Ive seen stuff shot by revolvers & autos, velocity may be a bit different, but a 45 caliber hole is still gonna make em cry.
410 ammo is pretty high,, have a look before ya leap.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 08/22/12 at 18:34:39

I always wanted one of these... in 357...
M92 Carbine .38/357 Stainless 10+1 20" Round Bbl

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 08/22/12 at 18:49:22

I Used to want one,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #7 - 08/22/12 at 19:35:08

Wolfman wrote on 08/22/12 at 17:48:56:
Piglet, keep in mind accuracy is going to suffer being a dual cal.
The rifle is meant more as a close range pot filler and home defense weapon.
The 45 wont be a tack driver and the 410 pattern will open up quick. You'll get a small velocity loss due to it being a revolver and haveing a gap at the throat(front of the cyl).
If your wanting something for beside the bed to load with buckshot or 45s for things that go bump in the night. Its a good gun. If you want it for dove or squirrel hunting you'd be better off with a standard 410 pump.

Ive seen em, never used em. But ive got  45/410 barrel for my thompson pistol. Its an up close and personal kinda thing. Just like the Judge Pistol.

+1

Piglet it is a compromise gun,but it's still something worth having. As stated earlier,the .410 ammo is getting pricey(heck ALL ammo is pricey now!)but both calibers can be reloaded to help cut down the cost!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #8 - 08/22/12 at 20:13:24

bh, I shot one.  It works just about like you would expect.  Recoil is not much.  Accuracy is a little better than a good pistol in 45 Colt.  As a shotgun, it is,..well,.. cool,.. not something for competitive skeet, mind you, but when you pull the trigger, shot comes out.

Being someone who likes guns because guns are likeable, I think it is quite cool, if for no other reason but that it is a revolver.  I'd like to have one just because I know I had it, and could go out and play with it occasionally.  It would work as game getter for open-sight ranges, methinks.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #9 - 08/22/12 at 20:25:41

bh, good to hear from you. Go to taurusarmed.net and click on circuit judge. Plenty of input from people who own and shoot them. When I got a Glock Model 22 in 1994 a lot of crap went around about the new concept. It has never let me down and I like its looks. For my part I prefer wood but not light color. And I think they look bad. Dual purpose doesn't mean mediocrity, either. It is what it is. I will not presume to tell a girl who kills deer with a pointy stick whether or not she should buy this gun.  Wink  

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #10 - 08/22/12 at 20:27:26

Oh, and Wal Mart sells them here. Boofer

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #11 - 08/22/12 at 20:38:51

Always thought they looked cool, but if I was looking for a .410, this one strikes my fancy:

Doesn't say if it's rifled or not, just says ".410 bore". Has regular sights though, and set up for a scope, so not really sure. Undecided
http://www.rossiusa.com/product-details.cfm?id=217&category=16&toggle=&breadc...

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #12 - 08/22/12 at 21:16:00

I doubt it is rifled, but haven't researched it. I love the looks of lever guns. However there is a problem or two (for me) with .410. I don't reload, and the price of .410 ammo is pretty rich. Also, many people buy a .410 for their wives or children because of the lower noise and recoil. I have found .410s don't GENERALLY shoot a wide enough pattern, thus making it harder to hit the target, thus discouraging the new shooter from more practice. I read that in an outdoor mag and then noticed it was true by talking to shooters through the years.

My lever gun is a 1974 Marlin 336c with a Tasco 3-9x40 scope grudgingly installed when I got glasses at age 49. But it looks great with the scope. It shoots "Minute of Backstop" with Winchester ammo and drives tacks with Remington 170 Gr Core Lokts. And kills deer, also.  Smiley 

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 08/22/12 at 21:42:28

I bought a Saiga 410 when they were brand new. Bought one box of shells and still have more than half of them.
I'll take a Mossberg 12 ga any day. I have the "Persuader" in my closet loaded (not chambered) with a thoughtful mix of rubber pellets, rubber bb's, solid rubber slugs, and then 00 buck for the last two.

Just because someone breaks into my house doesn't mean I have to do drywall.

--Steve

IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #14 - 08/23/12 at 02:35:54

Boofer, smaller bore and less shot then a 20 or 12ga. Hence the smaller pattern. That and it also depends on what choke your useing. But then small tight patterns are GOOD.
And don't be deceived. 410s shoot HARD and WILL shoot just as far as a 12 or 20ga.
For wacking squirrels n rabbits with headshots i LOVE a good full choke 410 with #4 shot.
Kick it up to #8s and you got a good dove gun. Especialy if you got a Modified choke.
For home defense #4 or #2 bird shot is good. Best is a buckshot load with 3 #00 pellets. Modified or improved chokes the best.
I know some guys that have even taken up turkey hunting with them as a challange to their hunting and calling skill.
I DON'T reccomend that for anyone but a real HARDCORE experianced turkey hunter.

The Rossi lever shotgun is smooth bore. Made strictly for 410 shells. You'll only see dual purpose shotguns with rifleing. Rifleing in a shotgun(except for slug guns) will really screw your pattern and accuracy up. Spins your pellets to the outside and leaves big holes in the pattern. Paticularly the center.

As for reloading, especially 410s, unless your shooting a LOT your better off buying boxed in the store. 10s, 12s, 16s 20,s and 28s are'nt bad if you shoot a lot. Even then 410s are a pain to reload.
He!! id rather form and reload wildcat pistol rounds like my 7TCU, .30 or .357 Herrriets then 410s. Cool

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 15:27:34

General CategoryThe Cafe › Another gun thread...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.