Send Topic Print
New to Savage (Read 188 times)
jimbo2
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New to Savage
08/20/12 at 18:00:16

This last week we picked up an 08 S40 for the wife. Before she had a Shadow Spirit and was scared to death of it, the S40 was love at first sight. I'm looking to eliminate or at least minimize some of the backfiring. It has a Jardine exhaust on it and when I looked in the carb to find 2 shims on the needle, a 52.5 pilot and a 155 main. What I'm seeing on the bike I went chasing after a lean carb only to see someone beet me to it. Ideas?

IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Re: New to Savage
Reply #1 - 08/20/12 at 18:05:44

Others may know better than me, but I would make sure the idle speed is correct, there are no exhaust leaks at the header or engine, and if those are good, bump up to a 55 jet.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 08/20/12 at 18:59:38

The jardine is about as open and as loud as exhausts get.
You'll have to go way rich to get it to stop IMHO.

you'll have better luck with a dyna take off.

and except for grumble pops, I don't get any back fires out of a supertrapp.

WWW   IP Logged
jimbo2
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 08/20/12 at 19:45:43

Thanks for the responses, It appears the intake side has not been touched. The a/f is set at about 1 turn out right now which makes me think I might need to open up the intake before stepping up in the pilot? I'm trying to apply what I learned jetting my VTX to the S40.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 08/20/12 at 21:13:12

Unless you just want it real loud, the Jardine otta go, & getting it rich enough to not pop with that pipe is gonna be somethn,,Dyna mufflers look good,,easy to tune to,cheap.
Supertrapp, spendy, good sound, & you can tune IT,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #5 - 08/21/12 at 17:32:00

verslagen1 wrote on 08/20/12 at 18:59:38:
The jardine is about as open and as loud as exhausts get.
You'll have to go way rich to get it to stop IMHO.

you'll have better luck with a dyna take off.

and except for grumble pops, I don't get any back fires out of a supertrapp.

Verslagen, how do you like the Supertrapp? Is it louder than the stock exhaust? My stock is loud as heck. Kinda blatts! Did you need to bump up your jetting? Sorry about all the questions. Roll Eyes

His: 1987 LS650F stock except for 98 engine, Dyna muffler. Hers: 2008 S40 with factory bags, windshield and sissybar.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 08/21/12 at 18:30:43

87 savage wrote on 08/21/12 at 17:32:00:
Verslagen, how do you like the Supertrapp? Is it louder than the stock exhaust? My stock is loud as heck. Kinda blatts! Did you need to bump up your jetting? Sorry about all the questions. Roll Eyes

Luv my super, 6 to 8 discs works with stock jetting.
louder than stock but not super loud.
probably a little louder than a dyna, but I don't have the fiberglass batting any more and 10 discs.

WWW   IP Logged
jimbo2
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 08/21/12 at 19:52:18

I'm going to look for a Dyna muffler, as being the one that rides behind her this would be a good thing.  Is my 52.5, 155 jetting going to be close on this? Do crush washers have to come from dealer or does someone know of something available at auto parts store?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 08/22/12 at 13:34:36

If you are talking about the crush washer where the pipe connects to the cylinder head - it is a dealer item.....or a Suzuki supplier on the internet.  I don't think you will find a auto parts store with anything that works.  You may not have to replace it unless you change the angle of the pipe of damage the existing one....I have taken the pipe off and put it back on without any leaks.

I have used the Dyna Muffler connection with the soup can shim....and I didn't like it.  The seal was not great and the angle of the pipe was not ideal....and there were stresses in the connection that I did not think would last for an extended period.  Next time I bolt one up I am going to use (make) an adapter with the proper inlet/outlet size and the 10 degree angle.  Some have had this made at a muffler shop.  

« Last Edit: 08/23/12 at 05:55:45 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
jimbo2
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 08/24/12 at 17:04:58

Went today and got a Dyna muffler then went to the muffler shop and had them make me up a 10 degree adapter piece and put her together. The chrome cover I had covered up all the sins and it looks, sounds and runs really good and didn't backfire during my little test run. Now having some back pressure the low and mid has really woken up and is a lot more snappy. Thank you to those that suggested this setup and the right ups in the tech section.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 08/24/12 at 20:55:17

Everyone needs the right ups..

Wrong ups are a downer

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/29/24 at 05:58:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New to Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.