Fix-a-Flat? (Read 267 times)
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Fix-a-Flat?
08/20/12 at 09:01:11

I am gathering some spares for an upcoming road trip. I have seen mixed reviews on Fix-a-Flat on the forum. Their web site specifically states the product is not intended for use on tube type tires. Has anyone ever used it? Any other suggestions? I am just looking for a way to limp into the next town as I can't see me trying to do a proper tube repair or replacement on the side of a road.

Thanks

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Re: Fix-a-Flat?
Reply #1 - 08/20/12 at 09:08:44

Any hole that makes you tire go flat "quickly" will not be fixable with fix-a-flat.  It will just blow out through the hole in the tube, and might even make the tube hole bigger.

I have heard mixed things about this stuff, and can't recall ever hearing about true success on a tube puncture... but I haven't looked hard either.

http://www.ride-on.com/motorcycle-formula-mot.html

If you use that stuff, it might seal up enough to get you to the next town.
A 12volt compressor might be a good idea too.

And, a good Auto Club card is priceless!!

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #2 - 08/20/12 at 09:14:06

youzguys,
I never thought about AAA. Never have been a member. You use them? I will give them a call and see what they offer for motorcycles.

thanks

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #3 - 08/20/12 at 09:35:54

I have the auto club through my insurance (All State).  Sometimes it's a deal, sometimes it's better to call some one else.
The most fun with All State was getting through to the agent that you have a motorcycle and do NOT have a spare tire.  I think it was some guy reading from a script.  I think his name was Peggy.  Tongue
Then you need to make sure they send a flat bed, not a tow truck.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
tizzyfit

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 08/20/12 at 09:36:32

Blinky-FSO wrote on 08/20/12 at 09:14:06:
youzguys,
I never thought about AAA. Never have been a member. You use them? I will give them a call and see what they offer for motorcycles.

thanks

You may want to check with your auto/motorcycle insurance company.  It could be, you already have coverage for roadside "issues" included on your policy.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #5 - 08/20/12 at 09:36:34

My insurance company has a Road Side service that I added on to mine.  Was only like $10 for the year. So you might check with your insurance company to see if they offer it as well.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #6 - 08/20/12 at 09:43:53

You will also want to make sure the towing part includes towing to a "qualified repair facility" instead of just the nearest town. Lots of those policies are only good for maybe 25 miles. Especially in rural areas it might be a long way to a motorcycle repair shop.

Some time back I got a membership solicitation from the American Motorcycle Association (AMA). It offered a basic membership rate, and added a Free Roadside Assistance and Towing if I paid electronically and authorized automatic annual renewal. The literature didn't mention a maximum tow distance, and it took considerable poking around their website to find the 25-mile maximum.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 08/20/12 at 10:47:38

Fix-a Flat is total crap for tube tires... Slime is no good either..
Other than a pinhole, slow leak... tubes tend to blow out, and tear...

PS,.. if you ever have any in your tire,.. warn the bike shop at tire time...
They will hate you,.. that stuff is a godawful mess for them...
... but they will appreciate the warning....

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #8 - 08/20/12 at 12:39:00

Yea forget the fix-a-flat.   Get yourself roadside assistance, on a decent roadtrip there are so many things that could go wrong it's well worth the piece of mind.  

« Last Edit: 08/20/12 at 17:02:14 by ToesNose »  

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #9 - 08/20/12 at 13:09:55

I know AAA Plus will cover motorcycles.  There are also AMA memberships that offer roadside assistance services which include your autos too.

If you will have the tools and don't want to use a roadside assistance service, you might just consider taking one spare tube for each tire instead of patches or Fix-A-Flat..

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #10 - 08/20/12 at 14:31:41

Fix-a-flat? In a Savage tire? Does riding from Mobile Alabama to Long Beach Mississippi (60 miles) count? Ran over a broken beer bottle, added 2 cans of gunk and rode it home. That's what the guys from the B.A.M. brought (breakdown assistance for motorcyclists, used to be called Bikers Against Manslaughter) when I called the number on the membership card (free membership).

Two days later rode it from Long Beach to Biloxi, had a new tube put in. Tire carcass got a real liner type patch. Can't remember the distance, but if you check your atlas, the bike shop was just south of Pass Road outside the west gate of Keesler AFB.

Probably close to 75 miles on fix-a-flat. Part of it 2-up, Lisa's 450 Rebel developed terminal carb/fuel system issues on the same ride. left it at a riding friend's house partway home.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
clearush

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Deer Park,TX
Reply #11 - 08/20/12 at 15:57:26

I just purchased the Progressive insurance trip interruption add on
Per Progressive -

Quote:
This coverage pays for your transportation, food, and lodging if you get stranded on a road trip—and it costs as little as $5 a year with Roadside Assistance.

IP Logged
martinfilms34

Teenagers ride
savages too!

Orlando, Florida
Reply #12 - 08/20/12 at 16:58:37

We used it at the motorcycle school I work at for our golf cart. Wouldn't trust it on a tubed tire though.

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #13 - 08/20/12 at 17:04:37

Wow good deal clearush!

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #14 - 08/20/12 at 19:38:16

Savage_Rob wrote on 08/20/12 at 13:09:55:
...you might just consider taking one spare tube for each tire instead of patches or Fix-A-Flat..

And, if you DO use the Fix-A-Flat, forget being able to successfully patch the tube if you end up getting a flat....the goop will not let the patch seal - EVER!

DAMIIK!  (Long, sordid tale....)

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 06:24:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fix-a-Flat?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.