Fix-a-Flat? (Read 267 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Fix-a-Flat?
Reply #15 - 08/20/12 at 20:42:38

WD wrote on 08/20/12 at 14:31:41:
Fix-a-flat? In a Savage tire? Does riding from Mobile Alabama to Long Beach Mississippi (60 miles) count? Ran over a broken beer bottle, added 2 cans of gunk and rode it home. That's what the guys from the B.A.M. brought (breakdown assistance for motorcyclists, used to be called Bikers Against Manslaughter) when I called the number on the membership card (free membership).

Two days later rode it from Long Beach to Biloxi, had a new tube put in. Tire carcass got a real liner type patch. Can't remember the distance, but if you check your atlas, the bike shop was just south of Pass Road outside the west gate of Keesler AFB.

Probably close to 75 miles on fix-a-flat. Part of it 2-up, Lisa's 450 Rebel developed terminal carb/fuel system issues on the same ride. left it at a riding friend's house partway home.

IIRC thats gate 7,,I lived about 8 blocks down the road for 9 months in 73 & into 74..Google Earth shows a Whole new world out there.  I think the trailer park is gone,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #16 - 08/20/12 at 21:24:03

I have some stuff in a narrow yellow can that can be used in tubes, but best for tubeless. It's outside and I'm inside so I'll try to remember to get the name when I think of it. It is about $10. I cannot recommend it, but If it can get me 20 miles or so into a safer, more comfortable place I'll try it. With my health I can't push my bike very far and with most flats a little extra air can even get you closer to help, so that's my plan. Last flat I had I was at home, aired it up without any additives and rode very slowly to shop. With arthritis in my hands changing tires myself is not something I want to do, either.  Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #17 - 08/20/12 at 23:45:30

I know for a fact that  slime works good in tubless and tube tires alike, but only for puncture vine and small nail type punctures.
I could go into details of the proof, but who cares !

I also agree that once you put slime in a tire or tube, you'll never patch that tire or tube ! It makes a tire/tube dispoesable.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #18 - 08/21/12 at 09:32:26

Here's a link for thye AMA Roadside Assistance Program.

I'm pretty sure AAA varies by state but here are some comparisons for Texas.  If you just go to www.aaa.com, you can give them your zipcode and get the right info for your area.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #19 - 08/21/12 at 10:22:07

Routy wrote on 08/20/12 at 23:45:30:
I know for a fact that  slime works good in tubless and tube tires alike, but only for puncture vine and small nail type punctures.
I could go into details of the proof, but who cares !

I also agree that once you put slime in a tire or tube, you'll never patch that tire or tube ! It makes a tire/tube dispoesable.

+1 I know it works too.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #20 - 08/21/12 at 13:30:24

Thanks to all for your input and sage advice. I only had liability on the bike through GEICO and had to add comp and collision in order to buy roadside assistance and towing. All three only added another $76 a year to the premium. The towing provisions are 24/7 and a maximum 75 miles to the closest "certified repair facility for your vehicle." I'm comfortable with that.

With this coverage, I will pass on the Fix-a-Flat.

Thanks again

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 06:22:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fix-a-Flat?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.