Decomp Controller (Read 190 times)
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Decomp Controller
08/17/12 at 16:06:38

Well with my recent issue on this as most of you know my decomp controller went bad.  Now there is no way I'm gonna shell out $70 for that thing.

What my question is here,  would anyone be interested if I were to build a solid state replacement for the factory decomp controller?  If ya'll would be interested in it would you want it to be a direct plug-in replacement or would spade terminals coming out of it be fine as those will fit the factory wire-harness?

I plan on building one either way if nothing else just for my use, just thought I would get some feelers out to see if I might look into making more then 1.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: Decomp Controller
Reply #1 - 08/17/12 at 17:46:21

You talking the solenoid or the cheesy flimsy piece of crap not water proof relay?

I'm just putting an HD choke cable in mine to open the decomp valve. $10 at the local chopper shop.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #2 - 08/17/12 at 17:52:54

WD wrote on 08/17/12 at 17:46:21:
You talking the solenoid or the cheesy flimsy piece of crap not water proof relay?

I'm just putting an HD choke cable in mine to open the decomp valve. $10 at the local chopper shop.

That good for nothing non-waterproof relay that is right under the fuel tank.

It's a really simple device really  just a timer circuit and 2 relays in that thing.

I'm thinking just a timing circuit for the decomp solenoid activation, and then replace the relays with some mosfets and pot the whole thing in epoxy so it's truly waterproof, and no mechanical failure means.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Smokestack

The Devil made me do
it!

The Hammer, Canada
Reply #3 - 08/17/12 at 18:58:01

There's a thread in the Marketplace section from a guy who made a manual decomp lever that rules.  I got one, and it works really well, and adds that little bit of custom I dig.  Real easy install too.

Link:http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1338020228

Yup, I done some stuff......
  IP Logged
clearush

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Deer Park,TX
Reply #4 - 08/17/12 at 21:58:50

sounds interesting, for about 1/2 the price or less??

IP Logged
renegade1

SAVAGE

Abbotsford B.C.
Reply #5 - 08/17/12 at 22:05:35

can you guys entertain my question " what is a decomp controller, and what does it do?"

IP Logged
clearush

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Deer Park,TX
Reply #6 - 08/17/12 at 22:52:55

renegade1 wrote on 08/17/12 at 22:05:35:
can you guys entertain my question " what is a decomp controller, and what does it do?"

it fires the decompression solenoid during to start up to relieve pressure in the cylinder (if your on the compression stroke) so the starter motor can turn over and start the engine.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 08/17/12 at 23:00:14

It's a rock kicker.

Ever go shopping with a heavily ladden cart and you stop to pick up another item?  Only to find you can't get the cart going again?  Yeah, you found a rock.  You got to back it up, scoot the cart to the side and give her a good push?

If only you had a rock kicker to pop that little sucker out of the way.

Well, that's what the decomp solenoid does.  clears the road.  makes sure the 1st thing you hit isn't the compression stroke.  Allows the starter to get it rotating up to speed to get thru the compression stroke and pow, you're running.

decomp controller sets that sucker off then the starter.  If both went off at the same time, you'd have a dead battery.

WWW   IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #8 - 08/17/12 at 23:22:43

clearush wrote on 08/17/12 at 21:58:50:
sounds interesting, for about 1/2 the price or less??

Yeah I'm guessing no more then half the cost most likely less, since it's such a simple thing.

R.F.

IP Logged
renegade1

SAVAGE

Abbotsford B.C.
Reply #9 - 08/18/12 at 00:38:36

so how does this mechanism work you push down it relieves the compression and then you "clutch in and hit the start button? This just eliminates another potential electrical problem?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 08/18/12 at 01:10:14

perhaps you ought to try that.

WWW   IP Logged
renegade1

SAVAGE

Abbotsford B.C.
Reply #11 - 08/18/12 at 01:19:22

haha sorry man looks like i have some research to do hey! prolly sound like an idiot haha

IP Logged
clearush

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Deer Park,TX
Reply #12 - 08/18/12 at 06:22:33

renegade1 wrote on 08/18/12 at 01:19:22:
haha sorry man looks like i have some research to do hey! prolly sound like an idiot haha

not really took me reading a few different things to fully understand what the decomp was supposed to be doing, then it was ahhhhh ok makes sense

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 08/18/12 at 08:16:29

It sounds like you're planning to do this for yourself anyway, just for the fun o fit, but just FYI, I had to remove the entire Decomp thing to allow for my new tank. I'll gladly send you the unit for next to nothing; no need to pay them $70....

email me if you want it: chris@chrisdingwell.com

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #14 - 08/18/12 at 10:09:05

teabowl13 wrote on 08/18/12 at 08:16:29:
It sounds like you're planning to do this for yourself anyway, just for the fun o fit, but just FYI, I had to remove the entire Decomp thing to allow for my new tank. I'll gladly send you the unit for next to nothing; no need to pay them $70....

email me if you want it: chris@chrisdingwell.com

Thanks for the offer.  Just have it bypassed for now and when I hit the stater button if it tries to lug at first I just roll it back in gear alittle so that it's outta the compression zone.

Yeah I'm mainly doing it for fun, plus I kinda like the idea of it being a automatically engaged item when I press the starter button.  I love messing with electronics so it's right up the ally for me to make something better for much less cost. Smiley

Just thought I would put it out there to see if anyone was interested in one as well when I go to make the replacement.

I've also got on the drawing board a new ignition system to build for the Savage.  One that has some adjustability for the timing curves.  I've just gotta find the information out there that tells me what the stock timing curve is so I have a starting point to go by.

R.F.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 01:17:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Decomp Controller

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.