Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Carb Question (Read 114 times)
Mr.Orange
Ex Member

Carb Question
08/15/12 at 16:06:26

On the way to work yesterday my '01 died on me. Got pulled over and smelled gasoline. Turned motor over and fuel poured out the right vent tube coming out the carb. Figured float was stuck. Get off work, pull bowl, empty fuel out and wiggle float. Put back on and cranks up and runs fine. Until I got almost home and it did it all over again? Btw when it running and set to prime the fuel flows nonstop.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Carb Question
Reply #1 - 08/15/12 at 17:04:03

Take your float off and shake it next to your ear -- hear any sloshing?

Fuel inside the float can give you the symptom you write about.

If you float is soldered brass.

To get it all out, heat it in a mild 200 degree oven for a half an hour.  

Now chill it in the freezer for 15 minutes then briefly immerse in warm water for no more than 5 seconds.   String of bubbles from expanding cold air should mark your leak location.   Mark spot for soldering repairs and wipe all water off the float.

After fixing, repeat the steps to check for any other leak location.

===========================

If you are blessed with a plastic float, do the freezer steps to spot the leak.  Put the plastic float out on the hood of your car for a day to see if you can get the liquid out from inside it, then use plastic glue to patch the leak location.

===========================

If you have no fuel inside your float, then your vac petcock is acting up on you and is simply trying to drive you nuts.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1251932429/1

This, unfortunately is far far more likely than a leaky float .....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Mr.Orange
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 08/15/12 at 18:57:31

New problem? just cranked, ran fine, then unhooked vacuum line ran great. when i plugged hose and plug bike died and fuel poured out vent tube. petcock gone?

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #3 - 08/15/12 at 19:02:22

What position was your petcock valve in?   On, Res or Prime,   if it was on anything but prime you just ran outta fuel in your carbs fuel bowl.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Mr.Orange
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 08/15/12 at 19:26:54

So why is it pouring out of the vent tube? When it is on prime it just pours out. And fuel is spitting out the back side of the carb now.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #5 - 08/15/12 at 19:29:26

when on prime, that bypasses the vacuum operated part of the petcock.

Fuel pouring out your vent tubes on the carb sounds more like a float/float needle issue to me.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Mr.Orange
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 08/15/12 at 19:34:49

So the float is sticking and causing the bowl to overfill and pour out vent tube? Seafoam fix that or need to take carb out an clean?

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #7 - 08/15/12 at 19:46:37

It may, but personally I would pull the bowl, and do a good look over and clean to see exactly what is causing the fuel level to raise.  Could be like said before a float that is leaking, sticking float needle or the float needle seal itself needs replacing or cleaned.

R.F.

IP Logged
Mr.Orange
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 08/15/12 at 19:58:41

I will take down after work tomorrow and see what i see. Update ya. Thanks

IP Logged
Mr.Orange
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 08/16/12 at 20:37:49

Ok got her taken apart. Everything looked fine with float. Till I took it off and removed the piece the needle slides into. Its where the fuel line comes in and it was full of rust. Guessing why the needle wouldnt sit properly, letting the bowl overfill. Cleaned it up and she purrs. As much as   it can.  Also the pilot jet, the small one? was completely clogged. Would that make it run badly?

IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #10 - 08/16/12 at 21:11:14

Ya, the pilot jet plugged would make it run like crap...it's a wonder it ran at all.  You may want to invest in an inline filter to prevent rust in the future, although it won't help with the petcock plugging.

IP Logged
Mr.Orange
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 08/16/12 at 21:18:36

thing is its always had filter. all the rust was in the top of carb where fuel line enters. theres a mini filter that was catching it all.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 08:32:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carb Question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.