Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Does a cooler exhaust improve performance? (Read 250 times)
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Re: Does a cooler exhaust improve performance?
Reply #15 - 08/15/12 at 05:24:34

To attempt to answer the original question, and remembering we are dealing with a single-cylinder naturally aspirated engine, nothing you do to the outside of the exhaust pipe will make any measurable difference to performance. It will change nothing but the appearance of the pipe.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #16 - 08/15/12 at 06:30:37

Charon wrote on 08/15/12 at 05:24:34:
To attempt to answer the original question, and remembering we are dealing with a single-cylinder naturally aspirated engine, nothing you do to the outside of the exhaust pipe will make any measurable difference to performance. It will change nothing but the appearance of the pipe.

Agreed. On some other, high performance engines, this coating (and/or header wrap) might (*might*) have some performance benefits due to keeping heat inside of the pipe causing the gasses to stay hotter and hotter things move faster.

On the savage, this would have *no* performance benefits.

However, it could be done for aesthetic reasons, which we leave up to your discretion. I have header wrap on my bike so that I could ditch the heat shield and not worry about burning my hands/boots/pants so easily. I don't think you'd get the same insulating benefits from the ceramic coating as I imagine that'd still be mighty hot to the touch.

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 08/15/12 at 06:43:01

Ceramic Coatings and fiberglass wraps, as I understand it, will have a small effect and help somewhat when you are working with a single-walled exhaust pipe; those pipes will lose heat pretty quickly.

If you were to cut a Savage exhaust header in half, you'd see that it is constructed (lord know why Suzuki went to all this trouble...) in three full layers of metal. A tube inside, with a tube around that, with another tube around that one. Those layers already do the job that any wrap or coating might do, so on a stock Savage header, it won't have any effect at all...

Build your own header, and you might have a different experience...

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 08/15/12 at 06:47:10

One more thing...
Header wraps or ceramic coatings will keep the outside of the exhaust pipe slightly cooler; I don't know how much, or if you would even be abel to notice it, maybe just a few degrees, but a few folks here have used the fiberglass wrap to keep themselves from being burned by their own pipes, or to avoid melting their glossy satin polyester track suit pants while they are riding....

IP Logged
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Reply #19 - 08/15/12 at 11:31:15

teabowl13 wrote on 08/15/12 at 06:47:10:
... to avoid melting their glossy satin polyester track suit pants while they are riding....

There's a mental image I'm not going to be able to get rid of any time soon.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #20 - 08/15/12 at 11:40:53

One more thing...
Header wraps or ceramic coatings will keep the outside of the exhaust pipe slightly cooler; I don't know how much, or if you would even be abel to notice it, maybe just a few degrees, but a few folks here have used the fiberglass wrap to keep themselves from being burned by their own pipes, or to avoid melting their glossy satin polyester track suit pants while they are riding....

The ceramic coating on my header makes a noticeable difference to the rider.  I don't use any bolt-on or clamp-on heat shield with it at all and I don't burn my leg.  Of course, I don't wear shorts and sneakers either.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #21 - 08/15/12 at 13:35:06

Thanks everyone.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #22 - 08/15/12 at 13:41:09

greenmonster wrote on 08/15/12 at 11:31:15:
... to avoid melting their glossy satin polyester track suit pants while they are riding....

There's a mental image I'm not going to be able to get rid of any time soon.

Cheesy    Those are a dull mat finished good looking polyester cotton blend nowadays, mind you.   I am not "Leisure Suit Larry" and I am not sure you can even buy pure poly pants any more.  

..... brief flashing visions of pure polyester spot welded to suffering red oozing skin from years past .....

Roll Eyes

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #23 - 08/15/12 at 13:53:18

Well I'm not sure how well it works on Single lung engines,  but coatings that keep the exhaust heat inside the pipe rather then radiating into the air do provide some benefit.  It keeps exhaust velocities up there by promoting better scavenging effect in the cylinder for removal of the burnt and unburnt gases in the previous power stroke.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #24 - 08/15/12 at 14:09:13

Quote:
I am not "Leisure Suit Larry" and I am not sure you can even buy pure poly pants any more.  

Yes but some of us, well at least this one here, have a few left in the back of the closet. I knew what color socks went with a lime green suit and white shoes! Cool

Not that I ever plan to ride in a Leisure Suit, but the pipe did take a bite out of my Fieldsheer armored mesh pants. I had to ask the Mrs. to sew in a leather patch.

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #25 - 08/15/12 at 14:12:11

My Firstgear overpants have a patch of different fabric in that part of the leg.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Reply #26 - 08/15/12 at 18:12:32

Just a thought. Seems a properly tuned engine, would run better, cooler, longer, than an improperly tuned engine. These bikes come running extremely lean, increasing the temp. Tune it right with any exhaust = cooler temps.

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
TROX

More ideas than $$$

Temple, TX
Reply #27 - 08/15/12 at 18:27:00

While on the topic of exhaust, I plan on wrapping my pipes and leaving the heat guard off. The plus side I never wear poly pants, always jeans and boots, but I shouldn't have a problem with that should I ?    I try to be vigilant about not putting my foot against the exhaust anyhow.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #28 - 08/16/12 at 14:34:56

clueless-FSO wrote on 08/15/12 at 18:12:32:
Just a thought. Seems a properly tuned engine, would run better, cooler, longer, than an improperly tuned engine. These bikes come running extremely lean, increasing the temp. Tune it right with any exhaust = cooler temps.

While that's true as far as it goes, the exhaust is still friggin' hot.

Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #29 - 08/16/12 at 19:38:08

The engine runs hotter and even the exhaust gas runs hotter on a lean-tuned bike but on a rich-running bike the unburned fuel in the exhaust will continue to burn once it's expelled. This actually makes your exhaust piping hotter and THAT'S why the pipe turns blue. There is a fire going inside your exhaust.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 08:27:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Does a cooler exhaust improve performance?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.