Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Is this a dumb question? (Read 331 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Is this a dumb question?
Reply #30 - 08/17/12 at 12:54:10

You hear folks like me talking about Raptors as necessary for performance modded bikes.

Vac comes on your Savage in many many little vac pulses, of varying strength and duration.  Your vac petcock in normal mode flows the gasoline in the same way, little spurts of varying strength and duration on top of a steady state suction level which varies at the same ratio that your CV carb varies it's vac level (throttle response).   It is the same suck after all.

Low throttle, low suck, low gas flow.   High throttle, lower suck than you would think, sometimes too low a gas flow on an ailing vac petcock.

This is because at full throttle on the Savage the vac level dips a bit, causing the stock vac petcock to deliver a little bit less gasoline than you would think.

Performance modded Savages use a lot of gas at full throttle.   My vac unit wasn't delivering the gas I needed at the topmost part of a hard run and I got the stumbles.

Raptors don't care -- they deliver max flow all the time.   I do not get stumbles any more at any speed.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: Is this a dumb question?
Reply #31 - 08/17/12 at 13:02:13

If the bike is still stock your boss is wrong. No such thing as an adequately jetted Savage/S40 from the factory, let alone one jetted too rich. They can be close to adequate IF you live at a high altitude (Denver comes to mind), but never too rich. I went from stock jetting to a 155/55 and still get a lean bog occasionally.

MPG varies a lot. Stock mine consistently got in the mid-70s. As it is now I'm doing good to see 36 mpg. Worse than a Harley.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 06:20:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Is this a dumb question?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.