New problem today. (Read 152 times)
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
New problem today.
08/16/12 at 17:41:53

Well now that I have my spooky zuki issue solved,  I finally got a chance to ride a little yesterday and today.  But I was bitten by a new bug in the system Sad   She just start cutting off like it was running out of fuel.  Checked all the normal,  have Raptor install fyi, and then did a flow test.  Bingo or so I thought.  Took apart the raptor and found a bug in the outlet of the petcock.  Got that all cleaned up and re-installed so now I have great fuel flow.  First thing I did  Take her for a ride.  Got about 4 miles down the road and same issue happened again.  O.K.  I had a few tools with me so I pulled the fuel line to do a flow test again, on the side of the road.  Good there.  So now I'm thinking  sticking float needle tap the bowl and it doesn't improve.  So I limp it home since I can't really give it any throttle it will barely come above idle.  Take the carb off and check the float system and it's working properly. BTW on the limp home it started running good again.

Now since I had the carb off I do a simple bottom end cleaning, no trash was in the bowl,  used some carb cleaner through the jets, even though when I pulled them they didn't appear to be blocked.  Then I noticed I have what appears to be a way under jetted carb, which would explain a few things about how hot it seemed to run, and also that 3/4 up throttle didn't have much power.   The jet number was a 146, only referance I can find to that one is the dynojet jets, and from the corresponding cross-references I've found online that one equates to only a 137.5 Mikuni jet.

Had a Lancer jet kit sitting here so I went ahead and dropped in a 152.5 jet and replaced the 52.5 pilot for peace of mind.

Haven't ridden it yet as I just got done.

Any thoughts???

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Re: New problem today.
Reply #1 - 08/16/12 at 19:20:40

One of the first easy things I'd try is to pop a fresh plug in it.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #2 - 08/16/12 at 23:17:58

Digger wrote on 08/16/12 at 19:20:40:
One of the first easy things I'd try is to pop a fresh plug in it.

Yeah new plug is on the list of things to pick up, so I can tune the carb properly.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #3 - 08/17/12 at 12:19:43

Does it idle fine then cuts out when you give it gas?

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #4 - 08/17/12 at 12:21:43

Arnold wrote on 08/17/12 at 12:19:43:
Does it idle fine then cuts out when you give it gas?

Yup

IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #5 - 08/17/12 at 12:26:42

Sounds like main jet is clogged.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #6 - 08/17/12 at 13:42:20

Sea Foam works good for problems like that.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #7 - 08/17/12 at 14:17:55

bill67 wrote on 08/17/12 at 13:42:20:
Sea Foam works good for problems like that.

I already cleaned out the bottom end of the carb, and replaced the jets.  Haven't ridden it yet since doing this,  but will be going on a ride shortly.  Just put in the new sparky, and my old H4 bulb as my HID self destructed. It's on warranty so they've already dropped another kit in the mail to me.  Smiley

R.F.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #8 - 08/17/12 at 15:20:40

Just got back from alittle ride, got her upto hwy speeds with no issues,  No more shutting off and stalling.   Cheesy Cheesy

Looks to be fixed YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

R.F.

IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #9 - 08/17/12 at 15:36:01

Cool, throw that old needle away.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #10 - 08/17/12 at 15:56:43

Already did. Just need to fine tune the jetting now and I'll be set.

Just the change to the 152.5 from the dynojet 146  made a very nice difference on power.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 12:51:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New problem today.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.