Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Is this a dumb question? (Read 331 times)
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Re: Is this a dumb question?
Reply #15 - 08/15/12 at 05:33:32

Quote:
but when I shift into 5th, it doesn't seem like it does anything. I don't really "feel" the bike shifting.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When you're not sure, and you want the highest gear, forget clutch, just lighten the throttle a touch, and kick it up a gear. You'll know if it shifts.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
TROX

More ideas than $$$

Temple, TX
Reply #16 - 08/15/12 at 07:40:47

I bought my 2005 S40 with 3124 miles on it. I bought it from a girl that kept it in the garage, she had 3 kids and finally realized she didn't have time for it. That's why she sold it. Like previously said has alot to do with the P.O.

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #17 - 08/15/12 at 09:19:35

Don't know the specifics of your bike, but  S-40's/savages are often bought by nwbies to motorcycling (or by/for girlfriends who  want to try being in control) and after a drop, accident or near collision with Bambi the bike gets set aside until years later someone decides to clean out the garage.  3K miles is not that uncommon despite the years.

If you haven't yet done so, go over (or have a mechanic) go over the tank, petcock and its filter, fuel line replacement..that will head off about 80% of your possible issues..rust is evil.

and of course, welcome and enjoy.

IP Logged
Bock
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 08/15/12 at 09:23:33

Thank you so much for all of your input.  It goes a long way!

IP Logged
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Reply #19 - 08/15/12 at 11:25:17

quick search on my local craigslist came up with this little gem.

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/mcy/3133909113.html

2500km is only about 1500 miles. That's barely broken in.

IP Logged
Bock
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 08/15/12 at 11:30:17

greenmonster wrote on 08/15/12 at 11:25:17:
quick search on my local craigslist came up with this little gem.

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/mcy/3133909113.html

2500km is only about 1500 miles. That's barely broken in.

I would say so!

IP Logged
Bock
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 08/17/12 at 07:40:20

My next dumb question.  I've had my bike for about 2 weeks now.  It's died on me 3 times at speeds of 50+ MPH.  I called the previous owner and he said he never had a problem. He asked if I had enough gas and I thought I did.  Regardless, he told me to put it on reserve.  I eventually got it started back up.

The 3rd time it died, I paid close attention to the mileage. It died on me at approximately 85 miles. So, could this be a gas problem? I thought I could get about 100 miles before I need to go to reserve. What do you guys think? How many miles are you guys getting?  Thanks!!!!!!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #22 - 08/17/12 at 08:03:28

Time to check your petcock

WWW   IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #23 - 08/17/12 at 08:10:51

I had the "dieing at +50mph" problem.. I'd have to pull over, open the gas cap and allow some air into the tank while fiddling with the fuel thingy switch to get vacuum going.. I switched to the Raptor to try it out and I loosened my gas cap screws (I had been playing with the rings to try and keep gas from pouring out when I filled up) so I'm not sure the exact cause but both of these fixes fixed dieing at over 50 mph.

I'm gonna switch back to my stock vacuum fuel thingy soon though and see if there's any performance comparison between gravity fed (raptor) and vacuum fed (stock)

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #24 - 08/17/12 at 08:16:33

Built2Last wrote on 08/17/12 at 08:10:51:
I'm gonna switch back to my stock vacuum fuel thingy soon though and see if there's any performance comparison between gravity fed (raptor) and vacuum fed (stock)

(pedantic correction)  Roll Eyes  The stock one is still gravity fed.  It is just that a vacuum is used to hold the valve open.

Bock mentioned there is some paint flaking and rust in the tank (?)  The screen is probably clogged.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Bock
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 08/17/12 at 08:20:42

The rust and peeling paint is just on the rim (right under the gas tank cap). But maybe some has fallen inside???

IP Logged
bojangals43
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Martinsville, Indiana
Reply #26 - 08/17/12 at 11:16:26

I agree with Verslagen - It would go a long way pulling your petcock and checking it (and/or testing).  Or if you want to kill two birds with one stone you can pull the petcock to check for debris and go ahead and switch to the Raptor petcock.  IMO switching is the better idea - I've had multiple motorcycles have petcock issues and I'm a firm believer in the non-vacuum operated petcock.  Plus it's super easy to change and cheap.  My Raptor was only $35 on fleabay (free shipping)  Wink  

On a side note - if you aren't filling your gas tank up all the way it could be another factor for you not getting more miles on a tank.  Also, if by chance the problem is your petcock it will screw with your MPG.

IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #27 - 08/17/12 at 11:42:08

Boule’tard wrote on 08/17/12 at 08:16:33:
Built2Last wrote on 08/17/12 at 08:10:51:

(pedantic correction)  Roll Eyes  The stock one is still gravity fed.  It is just that a vacuum is used to hold the valve open.

Bock mentioned there is some paint flaking and rust in the tank (?)  The screen is probably clogged.

My misunderstanding... So is there no performance difference with stock vs. the Raptor?

IP Logged
Bock
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 08/17/12 at 11:44:42

i know this may vary based on a number of factors, but how many miles on average should I expect to get on a tank of gas before having to switch to reserve?

I've noticed when I roll off the throttle at high speeds, I sometimes get a loud backfire.  My boss told me it might be it's running too rich.  Would this help diagnose the problem being the petcock?

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #29 - 08/17/12 at 11:59:26

Built2Last wrote on 08/17/12 at 11:42:08:
So is there no performance difference with stock vs. the Raptor?

When everything is working correctly, no.  Both kinds of valves should flow enough gas into the carb bowl so the float valve can regulate it.  The vac line should not be flowing any gas or air, and therefore has no effect on mixture when everything's in good shape.  The vac petcock can cause a mixture (and therefore performance) problem however, when its valve sticks, or the vac line leaks air, or the diaphragm leaks fuel.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 08:28:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Is this a dumb question?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.