Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Is this a dumb question? (Read 331 times)
Bock
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Is this a dumb question?
08/14/12 at 21:21:32

So I just bought my first motorcycle. It's a 2006 S40. It has 3,220 miles on it. Apparently it's a "rebuilt" motorcycle because it was dropped. So here's my question: If a motorcycle is "rebuilt", do they reset the miles on the bike? 3,220 miles seems kind of low for a bike that is 7 years old.

While I'm at it, I'm having trouble determining when I should shift from forth gear to fifth. The bike seems to start shaking more around 45 mph, but when I shift into 5th, it doesn't seem like it does anything. I don't really "feel" the bike shifting. I know that it does shift because when i downshift I count all the gears. Any help for this noob? Thanks in advance!

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Re: Is this a dumb question?
Reply #1 - 08/14/12 at 21:26:54

The only true dumb question is the unasked one.   Legally no they can't adjust the odometer.  The gear ratio between 4th and 5th is very close so no you don't really feel the diff for the most part, that is normal. If your getting some shaking I would look into figuring out what is causing that though.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Bock
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 08/14/12 at 21:30:46

Never riding on another bike before, I assumed the shaky/vibration is normal at higher speeds. Maybe shaky is a bad term. I should use vibration. Being a single cylinder, I'm told it won't be as smooth as other bikes.

Thanks for the quick response!

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #3 - 08/14/12 at 21:37:51

Vibration yes that is normal especially for a big single.  

Smiley

As for the low mileage,  it just depends on the P.O.  when I bought my 96 this year it had less then 8K miles on her.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Bock
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 08/14/12 at 21:40:53

Thank you R.F.!!!!!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 08/14/12 at 21:45:47

rfw2003 wrote on 08/14/12 at 21:26:54:
The only true dumb question is the unasked one.   Legally no they can't adjust the odometer.  The gear ratio between 4th and 5th is very close so no you don't really feel the diff for the most part, that is normal. If your getting some shaking I would look into figuring out what is causing that though.

R.F.

The only true dumb question is the unasked one.

I do believe that little truism was put forth by someone who kept asking idiotic questions. Ive heard some REally Dumb questions in my life. Sadly, some of them came out of my mouth.

Resettin an odometer is a criminal offense,
Dropped doesnt necessarily mean rebuilt.
You should spend some time looking it over, tightening motor mounts,looking at the wheels,
How hard was it "dropped"? Can you talk to the previous owner?
Did you change the oil yet?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #6 - 08/14/12 at 21:53:07

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/14/12 at 21:45:47:

R.F.

I do believe that little truism was put forth by someone who kept asking idiotic questions. Ive heard some REally Dumb questions in my life. Sadly, some of them came out of my mouth.

You should spend some time looking it over, tightening motor mounts,looking at the wheels,

I've heard some good ones in my life as well JOG  but I still stand by that little truism.  If a person doesn't know, they only way they will find out is through trial and error, or by asking Smiley

IP Logged
Bock
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 08/14/12 at 21:55:18

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/14/12 at 21:45:47:

R.F.

The previous owner said it was from the guy he got it from. I guess a damaged tank and front fender. Not sure what else. I've been reading on this forum to check loose nuts/bolts, but I guess I don't know where all to check. As far as the oil change, previous owner said he got it done this summer and should last me the rest of the riding season here in Illinois.

2 things I noticed. When I removed the lid to the gas tank, the paint is starting to peel away. Also saw a little bit of rust where the paint is missing. The other thing is the front break gives a HORRIBLE squeal. It's embarrassing and I need to figure out how to fix it. I'm not very mechanical, but i THINK the brake pad is ok.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #8 - 08/14/12 at 21:58:52

with only 3K+ miles on her,  she's probably got the stock pads still,  swap in some EBC pads, or Kevlar pads and that pig will disappear from your Savage

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 08/14/12 at 22:01:50

Yea, the front brake pad is okay, in that its not worn out, but its crappy stuff. I cant remember the best replacements, but someone will tell ya.

MOtor mount bolts play a big part in vibrations. Maybe what youre feeling is just normal, it IS a honkin fat piston flyin up & down, its pretty new ( in miles) to have shaken them loose, but if people have been messin with it, maybe they didnt get it back tight,
The foot peg bolts are motor mount bolts, + the ones on top.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Bock
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 08/14/12 at 22:03:21

rfw2003 wrote on 08/14/12 at 21:58:52:
with only 3K+ miles on her,  she's probably got the stock pads still,  swap in some EBC pads, or Kevlar pads and that pig will disappear from your Savage

I'm 1/2 tempted not to ask this question, but should I go to the local dealer for these, or do I need to order them online?

I'd like to learn to do my own maintenance, so I'll check the forum to see how to change them. I've never worked on anything mechanical before. I guess I have to start somewhere.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 08/14/12 at 22:06:37

WWW   IP Logged
Bock
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 08/14/12 at 22:11:17

That is exactly what I needed for instructions!  Perfect!!!!!

Can I find EBC breaks locally (Autozone, Advanced Auto Parts, local dealer, etc)?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 08/14/12 at 22:19:26

local m/c dealer maybe, not auto store.

the steel plate is common with atv, but the pad is thicker, so beware.

WWW   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #14 - 08/15/12 at 05:20:01

Quote:
Yea, the front brake pad is okay, in that its not worn out, but its crappy stuff.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
IMO, I haven't found anything very crappy on this bike, not that there isn't something better out there.
Take some 100-120 grit emery paper to the shiny rotor, use a circular motion.
That'll break the shine off the pads for a while and stop the squeal.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 08:23:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Is this a dumb question?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.