Send Topic Print
LED running lights (Read 171 times)
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
LED running lights
08/13/12 at 21:49:01

I got some 50 watt running lights for my forks, but was warned by you guys that it would drain my battery. My question is: How can I tell which LED lights will be bright enough in daytime for showing up? Most of the hype on the box of LED lights reaches farther than the light itself. Is there a rating system or a conversion table to help get the brightness I need to be seen in daylight? Also I cannot afford more than about $100, for a couple of lights. I can fabricate brackets or bars, so I just need some good bright lights. Help!   Undecided

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Re: LED running lights
Reply #1 - 08/13/12 at 21:58:16

Better yet, get some of the cheaper 4 1/2" running lights with the H4 style bulbs then a HID conversion for them.   HID 35watts  the LED system you are wanting 50 watts

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #2 - 08/14/12 at 08:35:55

i converted my halogen running lights with mr 11 leds
more for being noticed than lighting up the road
higher  kelvin ratings looks bluer

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 08/14/12 at 09:20:08

I have ridden behind bikes that have LED bulbs installed in the turn signals, and in the daylight they are hard to see.  If you look specifically at the turn signal you can tell it is flashing.....but if you are looking elsewhere it will not draw your attention like the stock bulb does.  I have also read about tests on LED's installed in camper brake and tail lights and they have reported the LED's that replace bulbs are dimmer than the bulbs......however some LED lights that are replacement units are brighter.  I have LED marker, brake and turn signal lights on my trailer that are brighter than lights with bulbs.

If you are planning on getting lights and pulling out bulbs and putting in LED replacements for the bulbs....I think you will be dissapointed.  There may be some LED lights that work well - but they will be built as LED lights from the start and not a bulb conversion.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #4 - 08/14/12 at 09:41:11

Thanks for the input. I don't understand Kelvin or "heat" range talk. I would just like something I can read on the box to let me know they will be as bright as my headlight in daytime...just to be seen. And of course, something that won't drain my battery.  Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 08/14/12 at 10:52:11

I was running a pair of cheap 55w lights on my Nighthawk for a while to try them out; $25 at some auto parts store. They killed my battery and fell apart from vibration (mounted to the fork legs....)

I replaced them with a pair of these, and LOVE them. Each one is brighter than the stock headlight, but they are flood beams, so at night, the stock high beam does shine further down the road.

I do a lot of riding down back country roads at night, so I really needed to see and be seen. Probably over-kill for what you need, but that's better than going cheap...

http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/hstrial-QualiRegResou/-strse-41/Model-60-LED...

This link now shows them as $100 each, I don't remember paying that much, but I bought mine well over a year ago.

Also, I got a wiring loom for them from EASTERN BEAVER. Great guy to work with....

http://www.easternbeaver.com/

Again, maybe overkill for your purposes, but it all worked great for me....

IP Logged
RanDaMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
Reply #6 - 08/14/12 at 12:38:33

teabowl. did you replace your headlight with a pair of those? are there high and low settings?

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #7 - 08/14/12 at 13:45:44

This brings up a question I've been wanting to know.   Does anyone here know what the output capacity is of the stock charging system?  Also so I can figure it in does anyone know how much power the Ignition system draws?

I have been thinking about driving lights myself on the Savage because I like the look, plus the extra light would be nice, But without knowing those 2 things I can't figure out how much room there is on the Savages system to handle extra electrical components even with me changing all the turn/run/brake lights to LED's  and also the Headlamp to an HID unit.  I know I freed up some there, but is it enough to allow the use of Driving lamps and the system still keep up?

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Foxman276
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Nova Scotia, Canada
Reply #8 - 08/14/12 at 14:15:27

+1

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #9 - 08/14/12 at 19:24:42

Thanks guys, Some useful info. Tea, I noticed the Model 60s are rated at 3600 lumens--a number I can get my brain around for comparison. About the charging system. It has been discussed to death, but I think Versy came up with a more or less wattage number. Since it wont run two 50 watt halogens, it's not much. You may want to start a new post about the charging system or PM verslagen. Some of the other old hands on here have tried everything from hair dryers to electric blankets.  Grin I'm sure they can help but may not see this post.  Smiley

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 08/14/12 at 20:05:33

Quite a few posts on the issue, of which I'm mostly a bystander.

You can run 2 55/60's, but not a 55/60 and 2 50's.

Ig/charging circuit probably draws 6 to 8 amps.  If you isolate it, I'd use a 10 amp fuse.

WWW   IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #11 - 08/14/12 at 20:09:50

verslagen1 wrote on 08/14/12 at 20:05:33:
Quite a few posts on the issue, of which I'm mostly a bystander.

You can run 2 55/60's, but not a 55/60 and 2 50's.

Ig/charging circuit probably draws 6 to 8 amps.  If you isolate it, I'd use a 10 amp fuse.

Just spent abit looking around in Tech section, only thing I could find was an output of 210 watts at 5K rpm.

But now with you saying that,  I should be o.k. with me having changed everything to LEDs and an HID headlamp  I should be able to put on 2 35watt driving lamps and be good correct?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 08/14/12 at 20:25:14

rfw2003 wrote on 08/14/12 at 20:09:50:
Just spent abit looking around in Tech section, only thing I could find was an output of 210 watts at 5K rpm.

But now with you saying that,  I should be o.k. with me having changed everything to LEDs and an HID headlamp  I should be able to put on 2 35watt driving lamps and be good correct?

3 x 35 + 10 + 10 - pie X sq. rt. 2 + 1800 zddp = 125 watts.

I still wouldn't be idln very long.

WWW   IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #13 - 08/14/12 at 20:33:36

verslagen1 wrote on 08/14/12 at 20:25:14:
rfw2003 wrote on 08/14/12 at 20:09:50:

3 x 35 + 10 + 10 - pie X sq. rt. 2 + 1800 zddp = 125 watts.

I still wouldn't be idln very long.

Just what I needed to know,  Don't spend much time at idle anyways plus I would have a switch for keeping them off during the day and only in use at night most likely.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 08:26:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › LED running lights

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.