Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
That Darn Head Plug! (Read 440 times)
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Re: That Darn Head Plug!
Reply #15 - 08/17/12 at 04:46:08

Like I said, you would need to pull the old plug first, which means opening up the head.  
Unless it COULD be fished out through the valve adjust cover.  
Dunno if even possible..  might be.  Ain't looked.

Another thought.. (two in one day.. call the newspaper!).  a plug in the bottom could be held in place with a rod of some kind that would rest on top of the cylinder nut.  A screw adjust to tighten it.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #16 - 08/21/12 at 11:13:26

I've been looking at pictures of the head, plug, etc.
It looks to me like that plug maybe can't come out of it's hole far enough to get loose.
I refer to the following (stolen) pictures:

See how close the top of the plug is to the edge of the case (where the breather screen goes).

Notice that the corner of the cover by the breather screen goes over the top of the plug.

I don't think the plug can come out far enough to get out of the hole.  The head cover is in the way.

If somebody has theirs "in progress", it would be interesting to know for sure.  Put the plug in loose, put the head cover on, see if you can pop the plug completely out by poking it from the bottom.

If it can't come out, then a fix from the bottom without opening the head at all should be OK!  Cheesy

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #17 - 08/21/12 at 12:09:35

Where did you get a head plug that looks like that....with a solid center?  I just bought a new one from Suzuki.....and it was just like the one that came out of my 2007.....and it was hollow in the middle.

Maybe the style like you have can't come out far enough to leak.....but I believe the old ones leak when they do come out partially and get crooked in the hole.  I remember reading that people think they were never installed properly, as they are crooked in the hole when they are opened up for repair.

I did modify the one I installed and put a rubber stopper in that was trimmed so that it just barely bumped into the head coverf and put a small amount of compression on it.

Maybe there is a reference on here somewhere to the old part number and new part number.......the parts list I ordered from did not indicate I had a choice.  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #18 - 08/21/12 at 12:14:42

Dave wrote on 08/21/12 at 12:09:35:
Where did you get a head plug that looks like that....with a solid center?  I just bought a new one from Suzuki.....and it was just like the one that came out of my 2007.....and it was hollow in the middle.

Maybe the style like you have can't come out far enough to leak.....but I believe the old ones leak when they do come out partially and get crooked in the hole.  I remember reading that people think they were never installed properly, as they are crooked in the hole when they are opend up for repair.

I did modify the one I installed and put a rubber stopper in that was trimmed so that it just barely bumped into the head coverf and put a small amount of compression on it.  

Those aren't my pictures.  Stolen from this thread:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1256079122

The point of my posting is the "drinking and thinking" exercise of "would it be possible to fix the plug cap leak without pulling off the head cover?"  It's not a question of the one that is in there leaking or not.  The question is, can the leak be stopped safely by plugging from the bottom of the hole?
I think it is possible.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #19 - 08/21/12 at 12:31:02

youzguyz wrote on 08/21/12 at 12:14:42:
The point of my posting is the "drinking and thinking" exercise of "would it be possible to fix the plug cap leak without pulling off the head cover?"  It's not a question of the one that is in there leaking or not.  The question is, can the leak be stopped safely by plugging from the bottom of the hole?
I think it is possible.

It would be a problem of access.  Can you shove a freeze plug in there, turn it and push it into place with a dollop of rtv on it?  Might be more of an issue can you get it clean enough for the rtv to hold.

I use a bent 1/4" rod to pop out the old plugs.  That would easily press the new plug into place from the bottom.

Personally, for a quick tempory repair, it would be easier to shove a shim in from the top between the cover and plug.  To push that plug down tighter to the head.  I would just be concerned about it moving around and getting caught up in the valves.

WWW   IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #20 - 08/21/12 at 16:54:39

Dave wrote on 08/12/12 at 07:21:43:
At this stage of my engine repair, I am installing the head plug.  The Clymer Manual says not to use a sealant - but the repair thread on this forum recommends sealant.  I cleaned up the head and plug to remove any traces of oil, then applied a small amount of SuzukiBond, then installed the plug.......and it popped back out of the hole!  I tried both the new factory plug and the original one....and they both did the same thing.  This tells me that the plug really doesn't want to stay in the hole....the way it is made results in it wanting to come out of the hole.

I made a small clamp to hold it in while the sealant sets.....but this tendency of the plug to come out of the hole has me wondering if it needs a bit more to secure it.

The head cover has a flat aluminum surface just above the plug, and it would be possible to install a rubber stopper or a spring to put a slight amount of pressure on the plug to prevent it from working out over time.  I would trim the rubber plug or get a spring of the correct length to apply just a small amount of pressure - not enough to try and push the plug through the hole.....just enough pressure to keep the plug seated.

Anybody got thoughts on this one?

http://i46.tinypic.com/2aa0cgp.jpg

Nice photos Dave! I just redid my engine a couple of weeks ago and when I put the head plug back in I had to remove the goop and teflon tape the PO had used in the past. I thoroughly cleaned the plug and head with brake fluid and dried them with compressed air. Just a tad of ultra grey and it popped in but did not try to pop out. About 300 miles later and so far so good Smiley Kinda looked like you had a lot of sealant IMHO.

His: 1987 LS650F stock except for 98 engine, Dyna muffler. Hers: 2008 S40 with factory bags, windshield and sissybar.
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #21 - 08/21/12 at 21:58:20

Dave wrote on 08/21/12 at 12:09:35:
Where did you get a head plug that looks like that....with a solid center?  I just bought a new one from Suzuki.....and it was just like the one that came out of my 2007.....and it was hollow in the middle.....

Hi Dave,

From two of my old posts:

Here is the P/N of the new style plug:

Here is a top view of the new plug:

Here is a bottom view of the new plug:

Just for comparison's sake, here is what the old-style plug looks like (the plug in the photos is used, and has some residual copper-colored gasket sealant on it):

IHTH!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #22 - 08/22/12 at 05:20:01

Digger:  Thanks for the updated on the plug.  I am not sure why the parts book did not update to the new part and gave me an old style.  It is in and working now.......so hopefully it will hold until the next time it comes to torque the head.

87Savage:  Those photos with the extra sealant are ones I copied off this site.  I had a light layer of Suzukibond and I used a trimmed rubber stopper in the old style plug to secure it and prevent it from backing out.

IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #23 - 08/22/12 at 17:54:14

Dave wrote on 08/22/12 at 05:20:01:
87Savage:  Those photos with the extra sealant are ones I copied off this site.  I had a light layer of Suzukibond and I used a trimmed rubber stopper in the old style plug to secure it and prevent it from backing out.

Ahhhhh......I get it. I reread your post. When will you be up and running? Curious to see how it holds up. I can't imagine that will move now. Cheesy

His: 1987 LS650F stock except for 98 engine, Dyna muffler. Hers: 2008 S40 with factory bags, windshield and sissybar.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #24 - 08/23/12 at 05:24:15

87 savage wrote on 08/22/12 at 17:54:14:
Dave wrote on 08/22/12 at 05:20:01:

Ahhhhh......I get it. I reread your post. When will you be up and running? Curious to see how it holds up. I can't imagine that will move now. Cheesy

I got it running last Saturday.  I have put about 100 miles on it so far.  I have been really busy and can only sneak in a short ride around our country blocks after getting some chores done around the house.  I need to work on the jetting a bit before I go on a long ride, I need to get the bike a little richer just off idle.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 06:21:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › That Darn Head Plug!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.