Re: plug/cap leak?????
Reply #15 - 08/13/12 at 12:36:49

WWW   IP Logged
renegade1

SAVAGE

Abbotsford B.C.
Reply #16 - 08/13/12 at 15:03:35

i dont have a proper measuring tool to gauge the gap of the valves, should this be done since im in there anyways?
and is 650 temp silicone the only one that can be used? will i run into trouble with a 600 rating?

IP Logged
CalisOsin

Rather die, than
live down on my
knees.

Orange County, Ca
Reply #17 - 08/13/12 at 18:09:48

'97, k&n airfilter, bcb pipe, custom leather seat, monoshock, custom bars
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #18 - 08/13/12 at 21:06:35

renegade1 wrote on 08/13/12 at 15:03:35:
i dont have a proper measuring tool to gauge the gap of the valves, should this be done since im in there anyways?
and is 650 temp silicone the only one that can be used? will i run into trouble with a 600 rating?

ren,

If you pull the head cover (which is a required operation if you are replacing the rubber plug that you think is leaking), then you really should inspect the valve clearances after you get said head cover back on.  Reason: the act of removing and then replacing said head cover actually messes with the valve clearances....it's just the way the top end is designed.

Good luck....we're here for you!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
renegade1

SAVAGE

Abbotsford B.C.
Reply #19 - 08/13/12 at 22:56:34

thank you for the good luck wish, im going to be tackling this very soon just waiting for the plug to get in to the shop so i can go grab it... i got some copper permatex rated to 700 for $8.00 at walmart (man i love walmart) and looking into one more question with my lucas supplier about the wet clutch with the fluid they would supply, or i might just go with the jaso-ma rated rotella t 15w40.

IP Logged
renegade1

SAVAGE

Abbotsford B.C.
Reply #20 - 08/20/12 at 21:14:12

New problem YAHHHHHH  Angry Putting everything back together all went nice UNTILL i went to put the petcock back on first bolt went in nice and smooth but then it came to the 2nd one and it was tightening up and then just SNAP broke in half inside the tank... WOO HOO so now i have no idea what to do!!

IP Logged
SaVaGeEaRL

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Georgetown, KY
Reply #21 - 08/21/12 at 07:50:13

Digger wrote on 08/13/12 at 21:06:35:

ren,

If you pull the head cover (which is a required operation if you are replacing the rubber plug that you think is leaking), then you really should inspect the valve clearances after you get said head cover back on.  Reason: the act of removing and then replacing said head cover actually messes with the valve clearances....it's just the way the top end is designed.

please explain how removing the head cover has any effect on valve clearance.

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #22 - 08/21/12 at 08:19:55

SaVaGeEaRL wrote on 08/21/12 at 07:50:13:
Digger wrote on 08/13/12 at 21:06:35:

ren,

please explain how removing the head cover has any effect on valve clearance.

The valves sit in the top of the head.  The rocker arms sit in the head cover.
You open that joint when you replace the plug cap.  You put it back together with sealant between the surfaces.  If the sealant thickness is not EXACTLY the same as was when you took it apart, the valve clearance will be off.
Hope that helps.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
SaVaGeEaRL

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Georgetown, KY
Reply #23 - 08/21/12 at 09:12:28

you are incorrect. the headcover in no way effects the valve clearance. the rocker arms are in no way attached to the head cover. the head cover only covers everything.as a matter of fact, the easiest way to adjust the valves is when the headcover is off, cuz its so much easier to get to the valves if all you have are the long flimsy feeler gauges.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #24 - 08/21/12 at 09:28:45

SaVaGeEaRL wrote on 08/21/12 at 09:12:28:
you are incorrect. the headcover in no way effects the valve clearance. the rocker arms are in no way attached to the head cover. the head cover only covers everything.as a matter of fact, the easiest way to adjust the valves is when the headcover is off, cuz its so much easier to get to the valves if all you have are the long flimsy feeler gauges.

Wow!  You owe youzguys an apology.....he is absolutely correct.

Here is a photo of the headcover that must be removed to get to the leaky plug.  You may be thinking about the small access caps that attach to the front and and rear of the head cover.....that allow you to access the rockers for the valve adjustments.  You will note in the photo of the headcover....it has the rockers arms attached.

HeadCovSeal01web.jpg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #25 - 08/21/12 at 09:37:38

One more picture borrowed from the Technical Section. You can see the red sealant on the mating surface between the cylinder head and the head cover....this sealant will be removed and replaced.....and this may affect the valve clearance if the sealant thickness is not exactly the same before/after.

You can go to this link to see the process.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1099227295

JMD04Repair01web.jpg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
SaVaGeEaRL

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Georgetown, KY
Reply #26 - 08/21/12 at 09:47:57

I must be losing my mind cuz I sure dont remember it being like that when I changed mine and could have sworn i noticed how easy the valves would be to adjust while it was off. owell my mistake.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 06:29:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › plug/cap leak?????

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.