Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 25
Send Topic Print
RECOMMENDED OILS AND BOOSTERS (Read 6258 times)
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Re: RECOMMENDED OILS AND BOOSTERS
Reply #180 - 09/02/12 at 15:01:40

The thing to remember is that on this forum, and others of its ilk, only those people with problems seem to post. Those with no problems (probably the vast majority of owners) never post. This forum has a membership of less than 4000. No one seems to know how many LS650s were made, but even guessing only 2000 per year for 25 years comes to 50,000 bikes. Makes us a sort of small minority, huh?

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #181 - 09/04/12 at 20:34:44

I was in an O'Reilly's last night.  They had no Redline additive.  I showed the kid a pic of the Redline stuff shown in an earlier post.  He tried to find it in his computer and he said he couldn't even order it.  

They did have Lucas, Rislone, and Hyperlube,.. all of which claim to contain zddp.

I guess I'll do Amazon.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Re: Things every savage newb should know...
Reply #182 - 09/05/12 at 03:16:04

What kind of oil booster should I add if I can't source your domestic additive? All I can find here are STP and similar...domestic names.

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #183 - 09/05/12 at 11:10:30

STP, Rislone, Lucas, and most of the over the counter car type boosters have either moly or "plasticisers" or "polymer esters" which in layman's terms are energy star slippery stuff or thick extra viscosity gook that kills your wet clutch plates.   Cars do not have wet clutches, so car stuff can put these extra slippery gooks in without causing any damage to their dry plate clutches.

Europe has this same wet clutch older bike situation the same as the USA, surely your motorcycle world has identified a simple ZDDP booster that only has ZDDP in it?  

What are you going to do in Europe?  

Either investigate until you find an exact equivalent to Redline or ZDDPlus or else you will have to Amazon them from your local Amazon warehouse and pay whatever they want for the shipping charges.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #184 - 09/06/12 at 01:45:48

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 09/05/12 at 11:10:30:

STP, Rislone, Lucas, and most of the over the counter car type boosters have either moly or "plasticisers" or "polymer esters" which in layman's terms are energy star slippery stuff or thick extra viscosity gook that kills your wet clutch plates.   Cars do not have wet clutches, so car stuff can put these extra slippery gooks in without causing any damage to their dry plate clutches.

Europe has this same wet clutch older bike situation the same as the USA, surely your motorcycle world has identified a simple ZDDP booster that only has ZDDP in it?  

What are you going to do in Europe?  

Either investigate until you find an exact equivalent to Redline or ZDDPlus
or else you will have to Amazon them from your local Amazon warehouse and pay whatever they want for the shipping charges.

Thanks OLdfeller, but you can't ship flammables through the mail, not in the US, not out of them... never within the EU, anyway  Wink

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #185 - 11/19/12 at 19:07:10

Hi,I am running a 10w-40 API SG/JASO MA based Semi Synthetic oil and noticed sometimes in top the clutch is slipping. The clutch doesnt slip in the lower gears. I was reading one of your posts where you talked about ZDDP levels, and not to use oils that are JASO MA2 and JASO MB based oils. Do I need to use a additive? And if so how much do I need?

Regards
Paul

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #186 - 11/20/12 at 05:33:03

Paul, state specifically which oil you are using, brand name and all the rest of it.

Don't be coy, nobody can help you if you withhold vital information.

=====================

The list has recommended oils, you know, that are known to work well.  I understand in New Zealand you might not be able to buy these same oils.  I also understand your oil rating system is different from the USA SAE based rating system.

None of our recommended oils are semi-synthetic though.

You find this information here:  

Recommended oils listing:    http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1344471565

Booster blend table:     http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1345080430

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #187 - 11/20/12 at 10:31:06

Hi, I have been looking for information about the oil I am using. I Googled it and found this.

Product Description
Semi-Synthetic 4-Stroke Motor Oil 10W40

Features & Benefits:
º Semi-Synthetic lubricant,
º Meets JASO MA standards,
º Enhanced engine protection and improve gears life time (Easy gear shifting),
º Ideal for oil immersed clutches,
º Compatible with catalytic converters,
º Good detergency and dispersion,
º Good anti-oxidizing,
º Good anti-corrosion and anti-foam properties.

8182752515_a26e573210.jpg
  IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #188 - 11/20/12 at 10:35:03

Just in case your wondering Our one and only bike shop is a Yamaha Dealer.
I also found this number in small print. '1502(L)' This wouldnt be the PPM number would it?

IP Logged
J C Stokes

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #189 - 11/20/12 at 10:50:39

Paul, I broughtr some Penrite HPR 10 synthetic at super cheap for my Camry. It's 10/50 rated, full synthetic with Extra Ten Zinc, full zinc additive technology. I'm not sure what this means, but Penrite is 0800 533698 or www.penriteoil.com

IP Logged
J C Stokes

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #190 - 11/20/12 at 11:00:15

I'm fairly sure Shell Rotella is avadable in NZ. Probably at Repco. Didn't see it at Supa Cheap.

IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #191 - 11/20/12 at 11:13:39

I just tried searching the Repco site and no matches for Shell Rotella. But have been looking at the Penrite oil site and found a possible candidate.

IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #192 - 11/20/12 at 11:15:57

MC-4ST (4 STROKE) 10W-50 Semi Syn.
SAE 10W-50

Semi synthetic, high performance grade for use where SAE 10W-40 oils are specified. May also be used in diesel powered agri-bikes. Uses a special combination of synthetic and mineral base oils and additives to prevent clutch slip.

HPR Gas features the Penrite Extra Ten in the oils SAE rating. The Extra 10 helps protect your engine by increasing the oils viscosity at operating temperature providing better protection and reducing engine wear in all driving conditions.

mc4_semi.jpg
  IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #193 - 11/20/12 at 12:07:36

Their is one more thing that is written on the Yamalube container which I dont know If its important. Contains Calcium Sulfonate.

IP Logged
J C Stokes

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #194 - 11/20/12 at 13:18:40

Paul, Rotella may not be all that easy to get here. Shell obviously sold some of it's lube oil busness to Orica Chemicals 0800 673 375 when Z Energy brought the Shell brand. Rotella is sold through Blackwood Paykel engineering shops and possibbly other outlets. You may have to try Palmy or Wellington if you are interested.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 25
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 00:42:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › RECOMMENDED OILS AND BOOSTERS

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.