Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 25
Send Topic Print
RECOMMENDED OILS AND BOOSTERS (Read 6258 times)
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Re: RECOMMENDED OILS AND BOOSTERS
Reply #165 - 08/17/12 at 19:20:13

bill67 wrote on 08/17/12 at 15:09:05:
Do you guys really use cheap oil in your cars too.....

Cars?  Who said anything about cars?  This is a bike forum.

Besides, Bill, only pansies drive cars (see my signature block).......

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
clearush

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Deer Park,TX
Reply #166 - 08/17/12 at 19:50:43

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 08/16/12 at 09:06:30:

Their price on the 5 gallon pail is quite nice, $4.40 a quart, but the car oil VOA you found sucked rocks for ZDDP (which is common for all car oils).

High performance racing oil. API JASO MA/ MA 2 SL/CF is not very encouraging.  MA2 and SL say 600-800 ppm of ZDDP to me.

Their weight on the big pail is interesting -- 0w40 weight.  We could use that weight if it is all they have at the good price.   Their web page does not list the 0w40 weight, so it may be old leftover stuff from a special run or whatever.

Call them up and ask them for their ZDDP content ppm in their bike oil in general, and for this particular 0w40 oil in specific.  
At $4.40 a quart it is worth the phone call or e-mail.

Also ask if the 0w40 being sold on Amazon is current production oil -- somebody may be moving some old pails of 0w40 oil at a bargain price.  Or it could be a typo.

That 5 gallon pail is not the other oil I was looking at, the 6 quart pack is the JASO-MA rated oil. I was being to quick with the copy paste links and didn't fully read the description  Sad

sent off an email to thier sales department we shall see if I get a response at all.

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #167 - 08/17/12 at 23:17:07

I bought the last two quarts of T-6 that was left on the shelf at Walmart and dump the abused oil and take pictures in the morning while it is still cool out.
I hope they will restock it though...

I'm curious myself how the stuff looks like, although I rode to work every day since then, and that was two weeks ago.

OF mentioned before that a Savage motor can not get hot enough to kill T-6 without heat...we will find out in the morning. I stole a couple of aluminum baking pans from the wife to make a nice display of the dump...

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #168 - 08/18/12 at 00:34:59

Oh, the suspense ......  

Bill is jest dancing over there by the edges with anticipation.

Cheesy

Now, here is the thought --- pour the oil off carefully into a cleaned dry capped milk jug when you do the pan analysis.   Why?

2 reasons,

1st reason = the oil will settle out even more over several months as the loose carbon goes lower & lower in the milk jug.   It will be slow, but it will happen as the months roll by.   When you empty the jug, the carbon residues will be readily visible coating the bottom of the jug.   The rest of it will look about like T-6.

2nd reason = lawnmowers and chain saw bars need oil too (and I am betting your T-6 looks about like 100 mile T-6, which is only slightly used).

Lastly, I hope you covered the pan because them bugs love Rotella and they likes to go skinny dipping in it every chance they get.  

Betcha find more soggy bugs than clumps or sludge buggers .....  or erl klotz of any sort or kind or description .....    Wink

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MarcosS40

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

N. Central PA.
Reply #169 - 08/18/12 at 04:06:38

Savage_Rob wrote on 08/17/12 at 15:45:38:
However, I'm down to my last gallon and have become convinced that Rotella T6 with a ZDDP Plus boost will offer comparable performance at a significantly better price point.  That's pretty important to me because I want to continue to pay my mortgage, get my kid through college and just maybe manage to save enough to one day stand a chance of retiring before I'm too old to enjoy it.  On a lighter note... For some reason, whenever I see the name "Klotz", I picture lumpy milk coming out of a half-gallon carton.

+1  Smiley  Couldn't agree more!

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #170 - 08/18/12 at 12:18:40

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 08/18/12 at 00:34:59:

Oh, the suspense ......  

Bill is jest dancing over there by the edges with anticipation.

Cheesy

Now, here is the thought --- pour the oil off carefully into a cleaned dry capped milk jug when you do the pan analysis.   Why?

2 reasons,

1st reason = the oil will settle out even more over several months as the loose carbon goes lower & lower in the milk jug.   It will be slow, but it will happen as the months roll by.   When you empty the jug, the carbon residues will be readily visible coating the bottom of the jug.   The rest of it will look about like T-6.

2nd reason = lawnmowers and chain saw bars need oil too (and I am betting your T-6 looks about like 100 mile T-6, which is only slightly used).

Lastly, I hope you covered the pan because them bugs love Rotella and they likes to go skinny dipping in it every chance they get.  

Betcha find more soggy bugs than clumps or sludge buggers .....  or erl klotz of any sort or kind or description .....    Wink

It's raining cats and dogs and I don't know when it's gonna stop. I hafta do it outside. Always the same crap. When you're off on the weekends, the weather sux...

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #171 - 08/18/12 at 16:37:21

Smiley  

.....   and now he has to separate out all the rain water from them skinny dipping flying bugs.   The pictures should be fun !!!

Leave it a week or two and you'll get some tadpoles and skeeter larvae.

Once you have a real eco-system started, soon you will get some bottom feeders showing up like the klotz shown here, a parasitical sludge sucker that lives in the Gulf Coast region on the south end of his migratory pattern but can range as high as Alaska during the summer months.

Looks sorta like Bill from the side, don't he ?

Fair warning, if a klotz shows up in your oil pan you now have a bona_fide wetland swamp incident and that situation then falls under WRAPs.

Yeah, that is Wetlands Regulatory Assistance Program, care of your feddy government.   All klotz incidences in your state should be cause for federal intervention/regulation.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #172 - 08/18/12 at 16:57:45

Think I may have stumbled across why Rislone and Lucas boosters won't recommend them for use in wet clutch bike engines.

"Rislone Engine Oil Supplement with Zinc Treatment contains copolymer esters (Tackifier) that have an
affinity (attraction) for metal surfaces. This allows the oil to hold onto the metal surface instead of just
running off like normal motor oil does over time. This along with the ZDDP creates a double layer of
protection."

Sounds like it would do the same thing inside a wet clutch, doesn't it?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #173 - 09/02/12 at 05:06:40

All this discussion is quite informative, and obviously done with concerned and knowledgeable effort.  This kind of discussion is what makes this forum so effective.  And enjoyable,

As you might guess, I want to use the best oil I can for the Double RYCA Build bikes (one of which is running, btw), and for the 2004 FJR-1300 I have for trips, grocery getting, etc.

I also don't want to be a chemist having to acquire various equipments and chemicals to make up a proper brew of lubricant.

I have the normal sources available to me for oils,... WalMart, Amazon, Autozone, Advance Auto Parts, O'Reilly's, bike shops, etc.  
-- From these sources what is the simplest way to purchase and mix a good oil (meaning proper zddp levels) for my bikes?
-- I'd like to have a statement something like, "For each quart of Rotella T6, add a tbsp of Redline Break-in Additive, shake it up and pour it in."
-- I will categorically dismiss any statements containing any words starting with klo.

Much thanks to you all for "giving a s**t"
-- Bringing this to our attention
-- Doing the research
-- Making the recommendations
-- Certainly saving us truckloads of money and misery

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #174 - 09/02/12 at 06:14:41

Why would someone use a motorcycle oil in a motorcycle,They would have to be absolutely nuts. Roll Eyes Shocked

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #175 - 09/02/12 at 09:36:24

Boule wrote the mix instructions by the gallon jug to make it simpler to do the measuring.

source, Tech Section

ZDDP Booster Table    http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1345080430

(and you can try explaining to Bill that T-6 is a motorcycle oil)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #176 - 09/02/12 at 11:05:06

Boule’tard wrote on 08/17/12 at 16:05:36:
bill67 wrote on 08/17/12 at 15:09:05:
Do you guys really use cheap oil in your cars too.I think it was about $27 a quart and worth every penny of it.Are you guys on welfare?

Twenty seven bucks a quart.  Dude!  Are you out of your f*cking mind.  You can pick up Klotz for $15 a quart off Amazon, and Oldfeller was making fun of you for even paying that much. But then, "you get what you pay for" so your $27 quart of Klotz must be better than a $15 quart of Klotz.   Grin

Noobs: Do not expect to get into a serious discussion will bill67 or the slightest bit flustered about any of his comments. He will anger and annoy you until you figure out his dry-sarcastic sense of humor, then he's all right. Took me about a year to start enjoying ol' Bill.  Wink

Ol' Bill would be enjoyable if he ever contributed anything meaningful or helpful.  I can fully enjoy someone commenting with integrity on the other side of an issue, but when some dimbulb, in effect, says nothing more than, "you are stupid so anything you say is wrong," it's hard to consider anything he says as worthy of comment.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #177 - 09/02/12 at 11:13:37

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 09/02/12 at 09:36:24:

Boule wrote the mix instructions by the gallon jug to make it simpler to do the measuring.

source, Tech Section

ZDDP Booster Table    http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1345080430

(and you can try explaining to Bill that T-6 is a motorcycle oil)

Perfect!  I missed that.  So,... to a gallon of T6 I'll add a 1/4 cup (2 oz) of the Redline, which'll bring it up to a little over 1500.

I'll use that as a procedure from now on, and stay tuned to this forum to make sure I am aware of any new info.

Thanks large for the info.

BTW, I wonder if I should add some to that jug of T5 my buddy bought yesterday (and used a quart of before driving off on his CS-1).

(and you can try explaining to Bill that T-6 is a motorcycle oil)  Fat chance.  I'd have as much chance of getting him to understand THAT reality as Columbus did explaining to the Pope that the world was round.

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #178 - 09/02/12 at 13:50:15

Bill's world is still flat.... Roll Eyes

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #179 - 09/02/12 at 14:15:31

When I read all of the problems people are having on here maybe the world is flat,On here anyway.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 25
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 00:55:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › RECOMMENDED OILS AND BOOSTERS

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.