Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 25
Send Topic Print
RECOMMENDED OILS AND BOOSTERS (Read 6258 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: RECOMMENDED OILS AND BOOSTERS
Reply #135 - 08/16/12 at 09:06:30

Their price on the 5 gallon pail is quite nice, $4.40 a quart, but the car oil VOA you found sucked rocks for ZDDP (which is common for all car oils).

High performance racing oil. API JASO MA/ MA 2 SL/CF is not very encouraging.  MA2 and SL say 600-800 ppm of ZDDP to me.

Their weight on the big pail is interesting -- 0w40 weight.  We could use that weight if it is all they have at the good price.   Their web page does not list the 0w40 weight, so it may be old leftover stuff from a special run or whatever.

Call them up and ask them for their ZDDP content ppm in their bike oil in general, and for this particular 0w40 oil in specific.  
At $4.40 a quart it is worth the phone call or e-mail.

Also ask if the 0w40 being sold on Amazon is current production oil -- somebody may be moving some old pails of 0w40 oil at a bargain price.  Or it could be a typo.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #136 - 08/16/12 at 11:29:25

Buy and save all the Zddp you can buy,In 5 years it with be worth more per ounce than gold.If you don't believe me just ask OF.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #137 - 08/16/12 at 11:39:00

Yup, they won't take dollars for it but it will always be worth its weight in engines ....    

(most ZDDP is made in China nowdays)

Roll Eyes

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #138 - 08/16/12 at 12:30:50

Oil producers are required to print all specs on the bottle, right?  A local shop has dozens of QT jugs of Castrol 4t in both 10W-40 AND 20W50.  All of them are printed ONLY with the JASO-MA and API-SG, SH ratings.  None of them say anything about JASO-MA2 or the newer API's.  According to Castrol's website, their current oils are all JASO-MA2, so I'm thinking this may just be a of NOS oil.  Should I bite? Huh

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #139 - 08/16/12 at 12:49:18

Sorry, Castrol (the MA stuff) was found to be a ZDDP lightweight when tested last year -- even Castrol recommends their Castrol Edge product to the classic car guys (but the whammy there is the friction modifiers that Castrol puts in all car oils).   Castrol's latest 4t motorcycle claims to adhere to API SL specs, and you know what that means.

You'd be paying extra for an oil with less in it than Rotella products are known to have.   The old stuff on the shelf may be better than the current MA-2 Castrol, but it isn't as robust as Rotella (just more expensive).

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #140 - 08/17/12 at 00:39:06

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 08/16/12 at 12:49:18:

Sorry, Castrol (the MA stuff) was found to be a ZDDP lightweight when tested last year -- even Castrol recommends their Castrol Edge product to the classic car guys (but the whammy there is the friction modifiers that Castrol puts in all car oils).   Castrol's latest 4t motorcycle claims to adhere to API SL specs, and you know what that means.

Yessir, I do.  I couldn't find the PDS For the Old Castrol MA oils on their site.  I'm glad you knew about their tests.  It's a shame  it's still a lightweight.  I think it was only $3.50 per QT, and it was at my PX so it'd be tax free. (military)

**sigh** No matter, I've already bought Rotella, and I'll be changing out that good-for-nothing Castrol Act-evo semi-synth the DEALER suggested...   Angry  I'll fill 'er up after I finish reassembling my head cover.  My new head plug comes in tomorrow!  Cheesy

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
Hotrodchriz
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Edinburg,Tx
Reply #141 - 08/17/12 at 09:12:42

Has anyone tried the Valvoline motorcycle oil?

Also has anyone seen the stp oil treatment bottle (blue bottle) it now says that it contains zddp in it.

IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #142 - 08/17/12 at 11:11:44

Hotrodchriz wrote on 08/17/12 at 09:12:42:
Has anyone tried the Valvoline motorcycle oil?

Also has anyone seen the stp oil treatment bottle (blue bottle) it now says that it contains zddp in it.

Hey Hotrodchriz, I saw that too! But it doesn't say how much and the STP website doesn't give any info either?? Huh

His: 1987 LS650F stock except for 98 engine, Dyna muffler. Hers: 2008 S40 with factory bags, windshield and sissybar.
  IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #143 - 08/17/12 at 11:38:14

I use the Valvoline oil for years now, the JASO rated stuff but recently added a shot of ZDDP additive.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #144 - 08/17/12 at 12:36:17

The new MA-2 Valvoline sucks just like all the rest -- the highest Valvoline we have seen in the last 2 years (apart from Valvoline racing) was 1,100 ppm.

You can pay more money for Valvoline and bump it a lot (since you start at 800 ppm) or you can start with Rotella T and just have to bump a little.

Up to you, really.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #145 - 08/17/12 at 13:40:17

KLOTZ no bump up needed it a premium motorcycle oil.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
MarcosS40

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

N. Central PA.
Reply #146 - 08/17/12 at 14:09:33

bill67 wrote on 08/17/12 at 13:40:17:

Tell me again Bill, How much is that klotz a quart???

I work @ an autoparts store and I can get Gallons of Rotella dino 15-40 for $17.50.    Grin

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #147 - 08/17/12 at 14:20:20

Yugo's were cheap too.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #148 - 08/17/12 at 14:23:08

bill67 wrote on 08/17/12 at 13:40:17:

Lets see it may have the ZDDP levels, but it costs to dang much, it's not available to be able to run right out and grab a bottle in hand just about anywhere in the U.S., according to you it doesn't get dirty, so why use a filter??  but if it's not picking up anything and changing color the oil isn't doing it's job period. You claim no wear at all with it,  that's complete non-sense there is no way to totally get rid of wear in an internal combustion engine if it's actually run.  

I could go on and on here but I won't.  I'm just pointing out some major flaws in your assessment of Klotz, even when it's already been proven that our engines run cooler, indicating less friction on HDEO's then your red stuff.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
MarcosS40

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

N. Central PA.
Reply #149 - 08/17/12 at 14:50:49

bill67 wrote on 08/17/12 at 14:20:20:
Yugo's were cheap too.

I'm sorry Bill but you failed to answer my question?

How much a quart, Bill?

Even after buying Redline Zddp booster and adding $2.00 worth to a change I'm still only looking at around $12.00 -$13.00 per change total.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 25
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 22:42:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › RECOMMENDED OILS AND BOOSTERS

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.