My bike (Read 366 times)
CalisOsin

Rather die, than
live down on my
knees.

Orange County, Ca
My bike
08/08/12 at 16:46:46

I sort of disappeared for a while but I'm back now. Hi all! Anyway, some of you may remember that I blew up my bike a while back, well about a year and a half ago, I put it back together and then promptly blew it up again after 3000 miles. Well, it sat for a year and a half, but I finally had a professional repair the motor and then I got to work tinkering with everything else. Anyways. Here it is!

And if you want to see the full progression, here it is.
http://imgur.com/a/RULPR

Having any sort of knowledge about leverage would have made the conversion a little smoother, but I won't bore you with the details. It's not done yet, but it's getting close! I've put around 400 miles on it so far and it's running great.

'97, k&n airfilter, bcb pipe, custom leather seat, monoshock, custom bars
  IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Re: My bike
Reply #1 - 08/08/12 at 16:51:26

Cool handlebars! Wink

IP Logged
CalisOsin

Rather die, than
live down on my
knees.

Orange County, Ca
Reply #2 - 08/08/12 at 17:00:42

Thanks! They were designed and built by my brother. He wanted to do something no one has ever seen before, and I dig 'em.

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #3 - 08/08/12 at 20:11:20

Is that a mono shock?

IP Logged
CalisOsin

Rather die, than
live down on my
knees.

Orange County, Ca
Reply #4 - 08/08/12 at 20:59:54

Yes it is, off an older model Honda.

IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #5 - 08/08/12 at 21:03:56

Now that's a true "Orange County" chopper....built the way they should be!!!!!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 08/08/12 at 21:25:38

HEY MAN!
That looks awesome! I've been toying with a mono shock idea myself off and on. You know how we are around here; we love to get bored with details! PLEASE post up some pics of how that all came together and tell us how you did it and what it rides like!

IP Logged
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
Reply #7 - 08/08/12 at 22:03:21

pretty bike! cool handlebars!
and the carburetor cool crooked! all the very best it!

Yeah, it's not bigtwin, but it is the best half of it
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 08/09/12 at 00:38:47

Well,, thats dedication. Sorry to hear about the trouble, but you sure wound up with a nice lookin machine,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #9 - 08/09/12 at 00:43:18

Beautiful Bob-Job there man! Well done! Cool

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #10 - 08/09/12 at 09:22:33

Remove front fender...

IP Logged
CalisOsin

Rather die, than
live down on my
knees.

Orange County, Ca
Reply #11 - 08/09/12 at 10:08:23

Thanks for all the kind words, I was wondering how it would go over with this crowd of Savage lovers. Unfortunately I didn't get any pictures of the build really, I was too busy working and didn't think of it.

I don't really know a cohesive way to write this but here goes:

We lowered the front forks 2 inches.
We took all the controls off the bars and put them on the dash. Clutch sensor is gone, kickstand sensor is gone, relocated the ignition a little higher, so now the start sequence is just turn the key on, press a button on the dash. Painted the headlight.
For the monoshock we added a 1/4 steel plate to the swing arm and welded the mounts for the shock to that plate and added a steel tubing between the frame rails for the top mount.
*Disclaimer here* I know NOTHING about leverage and this monoshock turned out to be a b*tch, so you can read the full story below if you're interested.
We relocated the battery box under the bike, and all the electrical got moved around and bolted some place out of the way. We eliminated the rear brake light sensor (in case I need to brake without drawing any attention. But I still have the front brake sensor)
The shock is now where the carb used to be, so we made a new manifold out of steel with a rubber gasket (after some trail and error with PVC melting) and turned the carb out to the right.

My brother is just plain awesome, the parts he made for me are: the bars, the seat (including tooling the leather), the 90 degree manifold, and the steel plate support and the tubing support for the monoshock.

So there it is. I'm not going to remove the front fender because I still want to add a rear fender. Plus I like the stability it provides. I still plan on slash cutting the tail pipe, and doing a chain conversion, and when I have the rear wheel off I'll probably paint the brake hub at the same time. I'm thinking 43/17 for the sprockets for some nice freeway cruising (I get into too much trouble with more power).

I'm getting a super fine oil mist coming out of the crankcase breather, but I've got an in-line filter for it coming my way shortly.

Monoshock story
I bought a monoshock online that looked pretty darn beefy. Mounted it up and it couldn't handle the leverage. So I found a local mechanic that had the coolest backyard shop you've ever seen, and he had one from an R6, so we loaded the bike into the truck(at this point it was just a roller) and drove over. We put it in the bike and it seemed fine. So I bought that for $60. Get back to the house and get it mostly put back together, and with the added weight of the motor and everything, we exceeded the limits of THAT shock too. So then I find a local shop and drive over there, show them the shock I have and explain the problem, they GIVE me the shock on the promise that I would bring in pizza for them another day. SWEET! So I cut the mounts because the spacing on this shock is different and remount them again... still overtaxed (did I mention I know nothing about leverage?). So my brother and I got creative... we bought a piece aluminum, 3" diameter by 1" thick. We cored a hole in the center, cut it in half and drilled and tapped a couple holes sideways to create a collar. Then we just had to compress the spring (easy right?) Well, we didn't have the tool for that, so we had to improvise because none of the local shops sell the right tool. We ended up bolting the shock to his truck and using 3 ratcheting tie-downs to compress the spring, fit the collar, bolt it on and throw a hose clamp(just in case) around it. Scary stuff, and the compressed spring makes for a little stiffer ride, but it still saves me from the big bumps.

So there's the whole story. Sorry it's so long and that I didn't take pictures.

IP Logged
Badass94Cad

This space for rent

Mass-->Jerz-->PA!
Reply #12 - 08/09/12 at 10:53:45

Those bars are definitely cool and unique.  Cool

1995 Suzuki Savage - It's a rat, but it's MY rat!
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 08/12/12 at 20:12:35

HEY MAN!
Thanks for posting all of that stuff up; especially the monoshock info.
Your design for it is just about exactly what I had in mind. I actually have a CBR600 shock that I was thinking of using, but then I found a shock on Ebay from a '94 Honda Shadow 600, (for about $19 shipped) which is quite a bit shorter, so it fits into the frame a little better (probably won't have to re-locate the carb, although that does look the business!!)

My very crude understanding of the geometry is that the more of an angle  the shock sits at, the softer it is going to ride, so the more vertical it is the more stiff it will feel.
Most of the sport bike shocks are designed to have a linkage system involved, so they can get more stiffness out of a softer shock. When you mount the shock directly to the swingarm, you need a heavier shock. (That's probably why the R6 shock bottomed out, even though it was made for a bike of about the same weight).
The Honda Shadow doesn't have a linkage type suspension, but the shock does lie at a pretty good angle in the stock bike. I would be using mine in a much more vertical position, so who knows??
It's not something I plan to tackle until Winter, if at all.

Great work on your build! Glad to see you tackled some cool challenges with it; it's a very unique bike. I sure hope you enjoy riding it as much as you did building it!

Cheers!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 08/12/12 at 20:51:48

Horizontal/vertical  dont matter. What matters is the ratio between inches the axle moves vs. inches the shock works.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 08:27:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › My bike

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.