Bikerphil
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Brazil
DID Cam Chain Woes
08/06/12 at 17:28:01

Hi Guys,
Here in Brazil cam chains are rediculously expensive, so I got a new DID part from Ebay UK Part No SCA-0412A. Unfortunately the seller was dishonest and the chain I recieved is split at one end (this chain is supposed to be continuous with no master link as far as I can tell). I also found out that it is a chain for a Kawasaki GT-550 and not the savage as the seller assured me. I think the seller bought the wrong chain, split it, remeved a link or two, tried to find a master link to rejoin it, couldn't, so flogged to to some mug punter - ME! I paid a lot for it and it took 30 days to arrive from England, my bike is in bits so I am not happy!
What I would like to know is what is the correct DID part number? And secondly, what in millimeters should a new chain measure. My thinking is that I could A) Find the right part or B) Go to my local parts dealer and ask for a new chain of x length. Apparently, Suzuki parts are expensive here, and if you don't say what bike its for, chances are you can pick up a Honda 400/4 new old stock cheaper.
Lastly, I realise now that I could have saved myself grief if I'd bought the Verslagen modified plunger, where can I get this from, and does he ship to Brazil?
Thanks for your help guys.

Bikerphil Bikerphil   IP Logged
clearush

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Deer Park,TX
Re: DID Cam Chain Woes
Reply #1 - 08/06/12 at 20:12:36

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1336598605

1990-2005 Kawasaki ZX600 chain is the same also

IP Logged
Borracho

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Albuquerque, NM
Reply #2 - 08/06/12 at 21:08:31

I will sell you a chain. For a Brazilian dollars... Grin

2004, Jardine muffler, K&N drop-in, Corbin seat, Raptor petcock and Sportster handlebars with phony ISO grips.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 08/06/12 at 23:06:45

Bikerphil wrote on 08/06/12 at 17:28:01:
Lastly, I realize now that I could have saved myself grief if I'd bought the Verslagen modified plunger, where can I get this from, and does he ship to Brazil?

why from me... who else?
I think you'd be the 1st.
about $20 just for 1st class and register... fairly expensive.
a lot more if you want insurance.

WWW   IP Logged
Bikerphil
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Brazil
Reply #4 - 08/07/12 at 07:03:17

Thanks for your responses - The Ebay seller says that he splits chains and supplys a master riveted link (mine missing) to make fitting easier. I am not sure I want a soft link in my engine because if it breaks it would be catastrophic for both engine and rider! If you guys reckon its ok to fit a link then I will instruct the seller to forward that part on to me - What do you reckon? He is also prepared to exchange it for one that is not split but I will have to wait until October when I visit England because to post it to England from here is not far off the value of the chain. Sometimes I wish I moved to the US...Things are complicated here with lack of parts and rip off prices!
I found that the Kawasaki ZX600 D and E versions (not the C or A) use the same chain and the ZZR500 and all Aprillia 650s, unfortunately, these bikes are as rare as hen's teeth in Brazil so parts would be very expensive.
If my bike is out of comission, I have a Suzuki Marauder VZ800 to use, but there's something special about the Savage and I will miss it.

justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 08/07/12 at 07:40:12

Ive never seen a timing chain in anything with a link,,Im sure Suzuki knows how hard it is to put in w/o one. Yea, it would be a lot quicker with a master link, & theyre just as strong, as long as it stays together. Ive never seen one come apart, I ve seen them in small chains & BIG Industrial chains on drilling rigs, If you do that, make dang sure you get the clip on the right way.

It is a scary idea, I really have a hard time believing someone cuts that chain w/o messin it up.

Maybe you could return it, get a Verslavy, & If youve already got your chain off, get a chain. & fix it & not be worried about a chain with a wimpy link?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 08/07/12 at 07:45:59

The seller is full of sh!t  easier?  still have to pull the head cover or are you supposed to cut the old chain off?

Was this info in the description of the part?

Check the forums of those other bikes to see if that's a mod they do.  And if they had any luck with it.

WWW   IP Logged
Bikerphil
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Brazil
Reply #7 - 08/07/12 at 08:02:47

Justin,
You seem to be saying that a link would be OK as long as it held out, the link on offer is a softer metal that needs to be riveted on like a bicycle chain and doesn't have a clip (I think the clip links are harder, but the rivet ones need to be softer metal in order to achieve the rivet). Bearing in mind how quickly these chains wear, I guess that the chain must be under a lot of tension....
Verslagen,
You may be correct, the box it came in states that it was a 140 link chain NOT 132, he probably bought a job lot of 140 link chains and cuts them to size - I doubt that the master link will be DID quality because DID cam chains are all endless to my knowledge (with good reason).

justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 08/07/12 at 09:23:34

Youre right, & I wouldnt want it. I hope you can get your $$$ back,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Bikerphil
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Brazil
Reply #9 - 08/07/12 at 09:39:32

Thanks Justin,
The seller is going to send me another one un split, so just another month to wait until I can ride my Savage again. I have pointed out to him that it is a bad idea to tamper with these chains especially on this bike - He reckons that DID now supply them split like that but that still doesn't answer why the box says 140 link instead of 132 - I smell Bullsh!t...

rrsantos
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 08/07/12 at 13:07:16

Dude....

Im from BR (Sao Paulo) and also looking for chain and adjuster...
Give me a call 81347275

Não aguento mais o barulinho chato de metal.   :'(

Abraço.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 07:44:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › DID Cam Chain Woes

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!