Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Calling all smart guys... (Read 243 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Calling all smart guys...
Reply #30 - 08/10/12 at 08:18:26

If someone wants to make a lot of power for cheap, the answer is geothermal,,Ive been on a rig where the temp downhole was  well above boiling. IIRC, it was around 300*F. It was a very cold winter & when we had to pull the pipe, it stood in the derrick steaming till it dried & was able to warm us up for an hour or so, standing in freezing West Texas weather.
Granted, it wasnt in a place close to a population of any size, but other places are.

Researchers have uncovered the largest geothermal hot spot in the eastern United States. According to a unique collaboration between Google and academic geologists, West Virginia sits atop several hot patches of Earth, some as warm as 200˚C and as shallow as 5 kilometers. If engineers are able to tap the heat, the state could become a producer of green energy for the region.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #31 - 08/10/12 at 10:24:44

if you generate electricity in one spot, you either have to use it on site,  store it in some type of battery or energy storage device for later use or transmit it. Storing it and transmitting it have high expenses associated with them. Geothermo is like nuclear without the energy level.

There are a few companies focusing on the transmission part of the equation. Using carbon fiber power lines due to carbon fiber's low resistance for example, but the cost is extremly high right now.

IP Logged
Retread

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #32 - 08/11/12 at 07:28:44

I've put some time into researching a off grid system for my Mountain property.. All total for a small home and shop the system, both solar and wind would cost me over 18K.. Until alternative energy is on a level playing field with fossil fuels, prices will be high..

Used to look like a Greek God, now I look like a darned Greek!
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #33 - 08/11/12 at 18:30:42

splash07 wrote on 08/01/12 at 14:21:07:
Serowbot wrote on 08/01/12 at 14:15:19:
Darn.. I give... Grin...

I still hate batteries... there's gotta' be a better way...

Biomass energy storage always interested me.

You could store solar energy in the form of biomass (switchgrass, wood, anything really) then use the biomass to heat water and power a steam generator. It is done along the coast from time to time in coal fired power plants after large hurricanes when there are large deposits of biomass debris that need disposing of. could even be done with refuse and probably is in places.

We have a biomass (garbage) burning electric plant here in London. It was too expensive to filter out the smoke to make economical power, and they mothballed it until energy is expensive enough to make it viable again.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Retread

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #34 - 08/11/12 at 21:45:33

Thats the whole deal there, if an energy is too expensive, instead of researching why, we drop it and go back to the fossil fuels... Then we blame the failure on the energy and of course politicians for trying to make it viable..

Used to look like a Greek God, now I look like a darned Greek!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/18/24 at 05:44:16

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Calling all smart guys...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.