Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Richard Muller: 'Humans Cause Climate Change... (Read 280 times)
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Richard Muller: 'Humans Cause Climate Change...
07/30/12 at 19:18:35

Former skeptic does 180' on Climate Change...
Richard Muller: 'Humans Are Almost Entirely The Cause' Of Climate Change

"Humans are almost entirely the cause" of climate change, according to a scientist who once doubted that global warming even existed.

Last year, Richard Muller walked back years of climate change skepticism in light of new research. But Sunday's comments go one step further.

Muller wrote in an NYT op-ed that after exhaustive research, he believes that an increase of greenhouse gases can be closely linked to the rise in the earth's temperature.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Re: Richard Muller: 'Humans Cause Climate Change..
Reply #1 - 07/30/12 at 22:24:02

'Koch-Funded Study Finds ‘Global Warming Is Real’ (...and the cause is human.)

...No sh1t...

I understand that the global climate has varied wildly over the last billion or so years. But now when a million years of change show up in a hundred years of data....data which happens to correspond to the "progress" of industry....that maybe the information should be taken seriously.

Unchecked population growth, the disappearance of critical plant and animal species, the over-exploitation of energy resources, and the rapidly warming climate are all combining to bring mounting disaster on the Earth's environment.

Those of us who believe in science and logic are increasingly fatalistic, believing that we have already passed the point of no return. I find myself increasingly in that camp. Certainly the power players in all this have no intention of changing course.

It's COMMON SENSE. Maybe you've never traveled to the other side of the globe, maybe you've never looked down on the earth from 40,000 feet and realized -- "holy sh1t, it's not that huge after all!".

Common sense should tell anyone that you can't just keep pumping CO2 and sulfur and what-not into the Zip-lock bag which is our atmosphere without it having some sort of impact!

You can only justify the profit motive only for so long. Eventually you have to realize that you will have sons and daughters and grandchildren, and that they didn't have a vote in your political errors. They just hope to be able to breathe clean air and drink clean water. There is NO REASON not to accept and embrace reductions in the pollutants which scientific evidence has proven to be harmful to human health.

Unless it's money.

....brace yourselves gentle readers, here comes the "Climate Change is a Liberal Hoax" bunch who KNOW it's a hoax cause Rush and FOX told them so. Grin

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 07/30/12 at 22:41:06

Yea,, big deal,, no one cared a week ago when I posted a retraction by one of the first warmlarmists,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #3 - 07/30/12 at 22:50:39

JOG, why is it in your interest to deny science?? The team leading the "deny the facts" charge are the industry captains who know that pollution reduction will cost them money that will cut their profit margins.

They pay big money to FOX and the radio clowns to convince the sheeple that GW/CC is a hoax...

...I don't get it.

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 07/31/12 at 02:49:18

I dont deny science when I can be assured it isnt just an agenda writ large  by scientists. Climate gate,The raw data was destroyed.Too many things have taken away from them.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 07/31/12 at 05:36:00

I understand that the global climate has varied wildly over the last billion or so years. But now when a million years of change show up in a hundred years of data....data which happens to correspond to the "progress" of industry....that maybe the information should be taken seriously.

Unchecked population growth, the disappearance of critical plant and animal species, the over-exploitation of energy resources, and the rapidly warming climate are all combining to bring mounting disaster on the Earth's environment.

Those of us who believe in science and logic are increasingly fatalistic, believing that we have already passed the point of no return. I find myself increasingly in that camp. Certainly the power players in all this have no intention of changing course.

It's COMMON SENSE. Maybe you've never traveled to the other side of the globe, maybe you've never looked down on the earth from 40,000 feet and realized -- "holy sh1t, it's not that huge after all!".

Common sense should tell anyone that you can't just keep pumping CO2 and sulfur and what-not into the Zip-lock bag which is our atmosphere without it having some sort of impact!

Okay, if you’re going to claim science and logic, let’s look at that drivel you just posted from a scientific point of view.

First paragraph: Unchecked population growth: what is the basis for this? What is ‘checked’ population growth? What data is being used to say the population is too large? What critical species? I am 51 years old and have heard and seen this comment for as long as I can remember. Name me 25 critical species that are gone? What energy resource is in short supply? The last 10 years shows no global increase in temperature. What rapidly warming climate is he referring to?

Second paragraph: past the point of no return? What does that mean? Is he saying the temp will continue to increase to the point the planet will become uninhabitable?

Common sense paragraphs: I was on a plane traveling at 500 miles per hour for 2 ½ hours yesterday. Assuming you did not fly yesterday, does common sense tell you I gained mass and my time passed more slowly than your time? But it happened, I gained mass and my time did not pass the same as your time. Does common sense tell you that's true?
Is ‘common sense’ a scientifically defined term?

Looking down from 40,000 feet is relative. I see wide expanses of emptiness. Who defines crowded? I already told you the population of the world could fit easily inside the state of Texas. Is that the definition of a crowded planet?

million years of change show up in a hundred years of data
by the way, 100 years is 1/10,000th of a million. Are you so sure that data from 1/10,000th is proof of a trend when you have no exact data from the remaining 999,900 years?

Is this what passes for your idea of science and logic?

IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #6 - 07/31/12 at 07:08:25

Starlifter wrote on 07/30/12 at 22:24:02:
'Koch-Funded Study Finds ‘Global Warming Is Real’ (...and the cause is human.)

...No sh1t...

You can only justify the profit motive only for so long. Eventually you have to realize that you will have sons and daughters and grandchildren, and that they didn't have a vote in your political errors. They just hope to be able to breathe clean air and drink clean water. There is NO REASON not to accept and embrace reductions in the pollutants which scientific evidence has proven to be harmful to human health.

Unless it's money.

....brace yourselves gentle readers, here comes the "Climate Change is a Liberal Hoax" bunch who KNOW it's a hoax cause Rush and FOX told them so. Grin

+1

IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #7 - 07/31/12 at 07:27:21

WebsterMark wrote on 07/31/12 at 05:36:00:
Okay, if you’re going to claim science and logic, let’s look at that drivel you just posted from a scientific point of view.

First paragraph: Unchecked population growth: what is the basis for this? What is ‘checked’ population growth? What data is being used to say the population is too large? What critical species? I am 51 years old and have heard and seen this comment for as long as I can remember. Name me 25 critical species that are gone? What energy resource is in short supply? The last 10 years shows no global increase in temperature. What rapidly warming climate is he referring to?

Second paragraph: past the point of no return? What does that mean? Is he saying the temp will continue to increase to the point the planet will become uninhabitable?

Common sense paragraphs: I was on a plane traveling at 500 miles per hour for 2 ½ hours yesterday. Assuming you did not fly yesterday, does common sense tell you I gained mass and my time passed more slowly than your time? But it happened, I gained mass and my time did not pass the same as your time. Does common sense tell you that's true?

Looking down from 40,000 feet is relative. I see wide expanses of emptiness. Who defines crowded? I already told you the population of the world could fit easily inside the state of Texas. Is that the definition of a crowded planet?

by the way, 100 years is 1/10,000th of a million. Are you so sure that data from 1/10,000th is proof of a trend when you have no exact data from the remaining 999,900 years?

OK, here we go again.

Mark,
    What do you define as science, is what we have been doing to estimate climate change, sea level rise, and habitat shift not science? Are you a trained scientist and therefore qualified to interpret the results of modern research? Do you know the intricate workings of the planet's ecosystem better than an ecologist?

As for the population comments lets look back to this:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1338441755/0

specifically reply #14

Aslo, here is a website (http://www.buzzle.com/articles/extinct-animals-in-the-last-100-years.html) with a list of species that have gone extinct in the last 100 years, well over 25. As a Zoologist (BS) I believe all species no matter how big or little are critical, they all were designed to play important roles and fill important niches in their respective ecosystems.  

As for energy resources in short supply, well relative to what? Oil and gas are not in short supply compared to what we think is there and unavailable due to technological restrictions. But oil and gas are in short supply when compared to the demand. Also water is in short supply in some areas. Water is an energy resource, we use lots of hydroelectric power in this country, and others. Look at the Colorado river, almost nothing at all, maybe nothing at all, by the time it makes it to the ocean, thats not natural is it? Mark?

Point of no return does not necessarily mean uninhabitable, what it means is we will not be able to undo the damage done in our lifetime. This will be the loss of prime agricultural land, water sources, and clean air. Populations will drop at this point and the earth will go into a natural population/resource (similar to a predator/prey model) cycle.

I am not going anywhere near the common sense comments, as it is clear webster has none.

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #8 - 07/31/12 at 08:07:22

WebsterMark wrote on 07/31/12 at 05:36:00:

Unchecked population growth-with 7 billion people, millions of people are starving because there is not enough food to eat. Basic fact: if all the food were distributed evenly among the entire population, we couldn't produce enough to feed us all for very long.

Past the point of no return: The perma-frost is starting to melt, which will release massive amounts of methane into the atmosphere. Once that happens there will be no return to life as we know it. It is doubtful that even a COMPLETE stop in the production of greenhouse gasses RIGHT NOW will prevent this.
The ocean temperatures are rising, killing off massive amounts of plankton, which provide a large percentage of the oxygen we breathe, and is the base of the oceanic food chain, resulting in a greatly reduced fish population.
The clear cutting of rain forest to provide marginally arable land for food crops is reducing the other main source of oxygen.
I am sure the planet will survive once the main problem it is facing (us) has been delt with, (the planet WILL fight back) and I am sure the human race will survive, once our numbers have been greatly reduced.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Drifter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 07/31/12 at 10:11:18

+1 Teach well said. Once again nothing matters but money.

Old Indian saying, when the fish are all gone and the animals are gone and the trees are gone how long will they survive eating money!

Great analogy....earth as a ziplock bag...even morons should be able to understand that!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #10 - 07/31/12 at 10:46:35

The Right tends to argue that we are not the cause,.. so why do anything...
The point is,.. whether we are all, or part, or none, of the cause...  we need to do something...
We need to become more efficient,... less consumptive,.. and realistically prepare...  
Reduce development on the coasts...
use more renewable resources...  
develop better emergency response systems...
Culturally,.. become less consumptive ...
Plan for our children's children's children...

I can't believe Smart Cars only average 36mpg... they should get 60mpg... my 17 year old Metro gets 40+mpg, and seats 4 comfortably...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #11 - 07/31/12 at 10:54:21

So, OK humans cause global warming.

But can someone tell me advantages of that - Yes advantages, and I am not talking frivolous crap like the white house is only 8ft above sea level and will go under long before my house does etc etc ...

Older - 40 and up kids should try to remember back to their school days.
Young-un's well you on your own I think.

OK fine its a serious problem when it gets warmer. Yes, I will give you that, but there is an advantage as well. Or a problem has been solved.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 07/31/12 at 13:26:26

Splash: What do you define as science, is what we have been doing to estimate climate change, sea level rise, and habitat shift not science? Are you a trained scientist and therefore qualified to interpret the results of modern research? Do you know the intricate workings of the planet's ecosystem better than an ecologist?

Splash; is what we have been doing to estimate climate change.  No, it’s what others have been doing and telling you what it means. When logical inconsistencies arise, you blindly write nonsense like you’ve done here.

No I’m not a trained scientist and no I don’t know the intricate workings of the planet’s ecosystem better than an ecologist. However, I do know that trained scientist can be wrong and I know absolutely no one knows the workings of the planets econsystem.

As for the population comments lets look back to this:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1338441755/0
Well webster I did the math and you can check me out if you want.

here it is:

Texas is 687,567,360 1/4 acre lots (268,581 sq miles or 171,891,840 acres)

there are 1,750,000,000 family units in the world (assuming family of 4 and world population of 7 billion)

that leaves over 1 billion families without a place to live in Texas. Even if we did 1/8 acre lot sizes there would still be millions of families without a spot in Texas.

I did check your math and replied below which I posted but I guess you didn’t read it. I said 3000 sq ft, you did your math for some reason using ¼ acre which was the difference.

268,581 square miles in Texas
27,878,400 square feet in each square mile
7,487,608,550,400 total square feet in Texas
7,000,000,000 world's population
1,750,000,000 number of family groups of 4 in world
5,250,000,000,000 number of square feet required if each group had 2000 sq ft house plus 1000 sq ft yard

An acre has 43640 square feet so a ¼ has over 10,000 sq ft. That’s the difference. If you want to give everyone a quarter of an acre, throw in Oklahoma and that will probably be enough.

Point is overpopulation is NOT the problem.

I believe all species no matter how big or little are critical, they all were designed to play important roles and fill important niches in their respective ecosystems.

Given that the vast majority of all species that have ever lived are extinct, that is a ridiculous comment.

But oil and gas are in short supply when compared to the demand

That’s just simply not true. There are plenty of oil supplies not being pursued which creates an artificial shortfall. For example; if we had a demand for 100,000 redwood trees per year and that represented 90% of the world’s total supply of redwood trees, in one year we would have a shortage because redwoods take a hundred years to grow and we can easily count the total supply. That situation does not exist with oil as we have sites with known oil not being drilled or not being operated at peak capacity. That’s not a real shortage, it’s an artificial one.

Also water is in short supply in some areas.

Water is in abundance in other areas. There is no water shortage, there are regional shortages because of usage, but that’s not a global water shortage.

thats not natural is it? Mark?

You’re typing your reply on a ‘unnatural computer using unnatural electricity’.  What is natural?

Point of no return does not necessarily mean uninhabitable, what it means is we will not be able to undo the damage done in our lifetime. This will be the loss of prime agricultural land, water sources, and clean air. Populations will drop at this point and the earth will go into a natural population/resource (similar to a predator/prey model) cycle.

I heard this 10 years ago. I heard this 20 years ago. I heard this 30 years ago. Every generation has their chicken little the world is going to end predictions. I like my odds.

I am not going anywhere near the common sense comments, as it is clear webster has none.

And no, you won’t go there because like Star and a few others, you can’t go there because it forces you to confront reality which you are trying to avoid so you resort to a smart ass comment. All the retorts you just listed above are just plain wrong and amount to nothing but political drivel. You don't really have a BS is Zoology do you?

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 07/31/12 at 13:29:27

Unchecked population growth-with 7 billion people, millions of people are starving because there is not enough food to eat. Basic fact: if all the food were distributed evenly among the entire population, we couldn't produce enough to feed us all for very long.

okay, this is important for eveyone to understand. This is utter BS. We have an abundance of food. People are starving due to political instability not shortage of food. The 'civilized world' throws away enough food to feed the world easily.

Honestly Teacher, do you really think the world simply can't produce enough food and that's why people starve??? Who told you that?

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 07/31/12 at 13:40:43

The Right tends to argue that we are not the cause,.. so why do anything...
The point is,.. whether we are all, or part, or none, of the cause...  we need to do something...
We need to become more efficient,... less consumptive,.. and realistically prepare...  
Reduce development on the coasts...
use more renewable resources...  
develop better emergency response systems...
Culturally,.. become less consumptive ...
Plan for our children's children's children...

I can't believe Smart Cars only average 36mpg... they should get 60mpg... my 17 year old Metro gets 40+mpg, and seats 4 comfortably...

Sew; I told you my view. Yea, I think the gases we produce likely have a tiny impact on warming. However, 25,000 years ago most of Canada was covered in ice so clearly there has been warming of the earth’s temperature. I've seen enough counter arguments that I don't think we are impacting this warming to the degree the climate zealots think we are.

No one disputes the need to keep the environment clean and to move towards cleaner fuels. But when extremist make up stuff, many of us get suspicious about their real motives. Look at the ignorance behind the last replies from Splash and Teacher.  People like that ‘choose’ their side with this because their team captain told them what to believe and say. Conservative’s tend to think things through more and don’t blindly follow. When McCain came out and said he believed we needed to address Global Warming, he lost support from conservatives.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/18/24 at 05:39:57

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Richard Muller: 'Humans Cause Climate Change...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.