Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Calling all smart guys... (Read 243 times)
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Re: Calling all smart guys...
Reply #15 - 08/01/12 at 21:38:17

Serowbot wrote on 08/01/12 at 20:00:46:
See,.. I told ya' this was a political post... Grin...

Here,.. you can install solar to the grid,.. and any excess generated they have to compensate  you for...
... but, I was just wondering about an off grid,... Apocalypto, survivalist kinda' thing...
Of course,.. that's probably not too smart because the full-auto guys will just kill you for your cool solar house...
I imagine being too prepared just makes you the prime target...
Just ponderin'... Huh...

Now you're catching on Sero! The whole basis of "flying under the radar" is not to "drop out" but to blend in. If you appear average and the bad guys don't see anything different they'll pass on by.

Back on topic......I have the same problem....trying to keep batteries online for my ham radio equipment. I try to keep enough battery power in storage to operate my radio shack for a week, but at least 72 hours minimum during a natural disaster. Thats a lot of batteries and charging racks!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 08/02/12 at 05:19:42

yea, I apolgize for posting that last night. Bad form on my part given the topic of this post....

Here ZAR; buy one of these:
http://www.pdenergy.com/products_kwunits.html

IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #17 - 08/02/12 at 06:09:01

WebsterMark wrote on 08/02/12 at 05:19:42:
yea, I apolgize for posting that last night. Bad form on my part given the topic of this post....

Here ZAR; buy one of these:
http://www.pdenergy.com/products_kwunits.html

Webster that's a trick system.........but I'm thinking the cost must be way more than the measley $25k/year I make Sad!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 08/02/12 at 06:39:21

"Biomass energy storage" makes me instantly think of slave labor.

One of my friends (you guys would like him in the political threads), has a get rich quick scheme every week. One was to use an impeller that was spun by... waste... on the downpipe.
As we chatted I had a few ideas to refine the system. I suggested an alternator to an array of yacht batteries. I also suggested moving it to the water line in so that the system isn't limited to BM's. It could also be charged by showers, or the dishwasher, or anything that required running water. I know it would have to be serviced at some point (I'll wrench but I don't like getting my hands THAT dirty)
He immediately jumped to all the down sides. Water pressure from the city is unregulated, pressure wise, and varies from 70-50 psi local to me. There could be ways around this by tee'ing off a regulated supply. He wanted to make a product to sell - anyone with well water would be hard off. And it turns out it's basically a water wheel which was already patented and someone else on the internet had the idea before us.
Might work for a trickle charge though.

--Steve

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 08/02/12 at 07:29:59

Webster that's a trick system.........but I'm thinking the cost must be way more than the measley $25k/year I make

no, i've seen them and they are in service around the world in selected applicaitons. However, yea, they cost some serious money!....

Very expensive to build. The problem with these systems and all these  energy producing systems we're talking about is the margin of error is razor thin. That nasty little 2nd law of thermodynamics gets in the way of everything. One little piece of equipment that's not maximized to perfom whatever function it's suppose to perform, robs the total system of energy. When that happens, you've spent a hell of a lot of money to make a something that can light a 100 watt light bulb and that's about all.

IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #20 - 08/02/12 at 09:05:12

WebsterMark wrote on 08/02/12 at 07:29:59:
Webster that's a trick system.........but I'm thinking the cost must be way more than the measley $25k/year I make

no, i've seen them and they are in service around the world in selected applicaitons. However, yea, they cost some serious money!....

Very expensive to build. The problem with these systems and all these  energy producing systems we're talking about is the margin of error is razor thin. That nasty little 2nd law of thermodynamics gets in the way of everything. One little piece of equipment that's not maximized to perfom whatever function it's suppose to perform, robs the total system of energy. When that happens, you've spent a hell of a lot of money to make a something that can light a 100 watt light bulb and that's about all.

Sorry Webster...when I said "trick" system I meant a really neat/good/I'd like to have that system. Not something that was a gimmick.

Zar

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #21 - 08/02/12 at 10:19:35

We should at the high level research level be thinking about this. Sunlight is one of those things that if we harness even 1% of it we will kick all forms of energy to the ground. Something like in 1 hr you get enough to power your house for a year.
BTW There is a rare earth called cerium - and it has been the new darling of those that want to generate hydrocarbons (like gasoline) using the sun and the air. Google and look it up, I am bound to screw it up somehow if I try to explain it.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 08/02/12 at 11:12:10

We should at the high level research level be thinking about this. Sunlight is one of those things that if we harness even 1% of it we will kick all forms of energy to the ground. Something like in 1 hr you get enough to power your house for a year.

If that were true, it would have been done already. sunlight, over a given area, has a relatively low amount of energy. When you add in (actually subtract) efficiency loss, you see why it takes a hell of a lot of solar panels to heat one hot water heater of water.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #23 - 08/03/12 at 17:40:42

Amazing th info available if the right ? is asked.. I dont have to just pull an opinion outtamyass,,

How Much Solar Energy Hits Earth?

Posted on 14 June 2006.

If solar power is the purest form of renewable energy known, then how much solar power have we got? The answer to this question, when considered alongside how efficiently we can convert raw sunshine into usable power, helps determine whether or not it is realistic to consider solar energy as a viable alternative to conventional energy sources.

In full sun, you can safely assume about 100 watts of solar energy per square foot. If you assume 12 hours of sun per day, this equates to 438,000 watt-hours per square foot per year. Based on 27,878,400 square feet per square mile, sunlight bestows a whopping 12.2 trillion watt-hours per square mile per year.
grab this widget | start a petition | by Care2

The Sun

With these assumptions, figuring out how much solar energy hits the entire planet is relatively simple. 12.2 trillion watt-hours converts to 12,211 gigawatt-hours, and based on 8,760 hours per year, and 197 million square miles of earth’s surface (including the oceans), the earth receives about 274 million gigawatt-years of solar energy, which translates to an astonishing 8.2 million “quads” of Btu energy per year.

In case you haven’t heard, a “quad Btu” refers to one quadrillion British Thermal Units of energy, a common term used by energy economists. The entire human race currently uses about 400 quads of energy (in all forms) per year. Put another way, the solar energy hitting the earth exceeds the total energy consumed by humanity by a factor of over 20,000 times.

Clearly there is enough solar energy available to fulfill all the human race’s energy requirements now, and for all practical purposes, forever. The key is developing technologies that efficiently convert solar power into usable energy in a cost-effective manner.

For energy conversion constants a good website is Energy Conversion, to help elucidate this data.
http://www.ecoworld.com/energy-fuels/how-much-solar-energy-hits-earth.html

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #24 - 08/03/12 at 18:46:32

Dat's a lot's a watt's... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #25 - 08/03/12 at 18:57:36

I've often thought of Solar energy use, but with current tech it's just way to expensive plus you still have to rely on either batteries or public power for use when sun light is less then optimal.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #26 - 08/03/12 at 21:38:44

Serowbot wrote on 08/03/12 at 18:46:32:
Dat's a lot's a watt's... Huh...

Watts & watts O watts,, I dang near got a sunburn just readin about it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 08/04/12 at 05:19:14

I hate to be Johnny Raincloud here, but ….

100 watts of energy per square ft is miniscule compared to a simple internal combustion engine.  In Germany I saw a huge solar panel field powering a single building the field.  In Denver outside of their airport, there is a huge field of solar panels. Because of the size required to generate enough usable energy you have to have us use large tracts of land. Add to that is low energy output, poor efficiencies to overcome, ½ the day of potential generation minus cloudy days. Finally you need an energy storage system to store unused energy up for later use at night or cloudy days.  Solar has an important role to play, but it’s very small; remote areas requiring low energy usage or a few panels on a single house to cut electrical usage, but if solar power was the answer to widespread energy generation, it would have happened by now.

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 08/04/12 at 06:26:08

You can't charge for solar by the watt so the technology and development isn't there.
You know why air is free? The government hasn't found a way to tax it yet.

--Steve

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #29 - 08/10/12 at 08:12:49

currently, solar is so inefficient it doesn't make economic sense...doesn't mean that a breakthrough couldn't happen...I like the idea of a solar tower arrangement...concentrate the energy to a tower filled with a high thermal load material (I think they are using salt) it becomes molten, turns water to steam and drives the turbines cloudy rainy days or nightfall there is still enough energy in the molten salt to drive the turbines...

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/18/24 at 05:38:35

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Calling all smart guys...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.