Send Topic Print
Struggling to start! (Read 201 times)
RanDaMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
Struggling to start!
07/25/12 at 05:08:09

So i put a cone filter on and installed a dyna muffler ( has a slight leak at the moment) and i also put on the raptor petcock. and now the bike is having a really tough time starting up. with or with out the choke after several tries almost draining the battery it fired up i believe with the choke pulled out. but it used to start right up with no issues. while it was running a little white-ish/light grey smoke was coming out of the muffler. does this mean im running way too lean or too rich?  Huh  or is that possibly not the starting issue?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Struggling to start!
Reply #1 - 07/25/12 at 05:36:33

Have you done anything to the carb?   Changed the jetting yet?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
RanDaMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
Reply #2 - 07/25/12 at 05:41:19

Dave, yes I stepped up one step from stock on both pilot and main jet. i havent had a chance to test them out though due to the temporary leak in my exhaust i got it to fire up once since ive done the mods the other day it drained the battery past the point of being able to start.  Embarrassed

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 07/25/12 at 06:07:47

Put a small length of hose on the bottom of the carb, and then open the drain screw and see if fuel flows out in a steady stream...drain out enough that you can confirm the flow is constant......10 - 16 OZ.  This will confirm that fuel is reaching the carb float bowl.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #4 - 07/25/12 at 06:11:23

First, you need a good battery. If the battery voltage is dropping below 10.5 volts while cranking, it is getting a very weak spark, and would rather not start. If it cranks (spins) good, it should start good.
Second, mine always starts better w/ no.....to little throttle.
Did you adjust the air screw after the pilot change ? If not, this could be the reason for hard start. I myself would not have changed the pilot unless it was really needed.
Nothing else you did should have changed how it starts, or is making it run rich. The smoke could have been in the change in muffler.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
RanDaMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
Reply #5 - 07/25/12 at 06:12:20

Alright good idea Dave!  Smiley Ill try it out today when i get home and see if the fuel flow is a problem. with the raptor petcock after i drain the float bowl in the carb how do fill it back up just turn the throttle a couple of times before I try and start it? or is there another method?

IP Logged
RanDaMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
Reply #6 - 07/25/12 at 06:16:12

Routy, it did seem to crank over almost every time after a few failed attemps the fire up though it started clicking when i hit the ignition. i tried using a little throttle using a lot of throttle using a choke and not usuing a choke. before i did any work on it i never needed the choke to start her up.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #7 - 07/25/12 at 06:21:14

RanDaMan wrote on 07/25/12 at 06:12:20:
Alright good idea Dave!  Smiley Ill try it out today when i get home and see if the fuel flow is a problem. with the raptor petcock after i drain the float bowl in the carb how do fill it back up just turn the throttle a couple of times before I try and start it? or is there another method?

You are not draining the bowl, you're just checking flow. The bowl stays full as long as the valve is on.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #8 - 07/25/12 at 06:26:40

Quote:tried using a little throttle using a lot of throttle using a choke and not usuing a choke. before i did any work on it i never needed the choke to start her up
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Changing the pilot is what changed your starting. If you get it started, and adjust air/fuel for a good idle, it will probably start just fine,.....w/  good battery power.

Rich
  IP Logged
RanDaMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
Reply #9 - 07/25/12 at 06:46:29

Routy wrote on 07/25/12 at 06:21:14:

You are not draining the bowl, you're just checking flow. The bowl stays full as long as the valve is on.

when i took the carb off to rejet i did have to drain the bowl though. im just asking for future refrence when i take the carb off again. and i hope what you say is true about the pilot jet changing the starting issues its not too hard to tune the air/fuel mixture screw. i just need it to start up and run to warm it up.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #10 - 07/25/12 at 06:46:39

Just so you have a better understanding of carbs,.......
unlike automotive carbs, MC carbs do not have an "accelerator pump", therefore twisting the throttle w/ engine not running does absolutely nothing as far as adding fuel to the engine.

Rich
  IP Logged
RanDaMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
Reply #11 - 07/25/12 at 06:50:58

OH alright so with my bike off and petcock "ON" the fuel flows straight into the float bowl untill the floats trip out and shut off fuel? the stock petcock had a prime the raptor doesnt thats why i thought twisting the throttle would open up to allow gas to fill the float bowl with the absence of the prime setting.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #12 - 07/25/12 at 06:56:49

if nothing else try a little starting fluid or WD-40 to get it to fire off and use throttle to keep it running till it warms up so you can adjust the idle/air mix to keep it running.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 07/25/12 at 06:59:37

RanDaMan wrote on 07/25/12 at 06:50:58:
OH alright so with my bike off and petcock "ON" the fuel flows straight into the float bowl untill the floats trip out and shut off fuel? the stock petcock had a prime the raptor doesnt thats why i thought twisting the throttle would open up to allow gas to fill the float bowl with the absence of the prime setting.

Nope - there is no connection of the throttle and petcock and neither one affects the other, and as Routy said there is no accelerator pump that could spray fuel like there is in automotive carbs.  Twisting the throttle when the engine is running does nothing but move a butterfly back and forth with no affect on anything.  The choke only works when the throttle butterfly is closed - so twisting the throttle while trying to start the bike does essentially bypass the choke function while you have the thottle twisted open.

IP Logged
RanDaMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
Reply #14 - 07/25/12 at 07:05:03

Learning a lot right now! Thanks everyone for youre help! and R.F how would i get it started in that manner? not sure im following you on that? Huh

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 20:27:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Struggling to start!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.