Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
MPG after the White Spacer Modification? (Read 159 times)
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
MPG after the White Spacer Modification?
07/25/12 at 11:22:01

My guess is that a decrease is normal since there is increase fuel flow but I was a little surprised at a 5 mpg decrease. The spacer was replaced with two washers and no other changes were made. The four fill ups prior to the mod  averaged 52.45 mpg. The four after the modification have averaged 47.56 mpg. Sound about right? The bike has stock jets, air filter, and muffler.

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: MPG after the White Spacer Modification?
Reply #1 - 07/25/12 at 11:28:13

Well,.. mpg's will likely drop a bit... but are you using your right wrist a little more?...
Mine has 2/3 spacer, 150 main, stock pilot... and I get 58 to 62mpg, most rides...
Hwy speeds drops that to mid 50's mpg...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #2 - 07/25/12 at 14:06:37

That sort of mpg reduction is about what I got. It made no difference I could detect in performance, and didn't get rid of the "backfire." So I put the white spacer back in; my mpg returned to what it had been, and that was the end of that experiment. If you care to dig back, you'll see my results in Fuelly.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #3 - 07/25/12 at 15:44:31

Just go bigger on your high speed jet,you'll have more power and want change your mpg under normal riding.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #4 - 07/25/12 at 15:54:07

I got the same setup Serowbot, and it runs like a bat outta he'll. My mpg was like his before I did the mods. Now I really have to try to get 50+ mpg. That only works on back roads. On the Hwy it is more like 42-45, if I watch my speed and just try to keep it barely around 75mph. Then 45 mpg solo and 42 mpg with 100 lbs wife on the back. If I let it really fly, then about 38-40 mpg.
But there is no black smoke or soot anywhere, and the muffler is a nice light brown like the spark plug.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #5 - 07/25/12 at 16:11:08

If an engine isn't running right, it is running ineffecient, and correcting the problem will....if anything increase mpg.
I did the spacer mod because it was not running correctly,....(lean low sp condidion) and the mod fixed it almost perfectly. I can't say I picked up miles per gallon, but it sure didn't go down, nor did it lessen backfire.
So many here do carb mods for no specific reason, or because of what they read, and many of those mods end up in worse running, and/or less mpg, at best. And some have even had to buy a whole new carb, all because of unnecessary modding.
Anyone that does a mod which makes the engine run better, (more effeciently) and mpg goes down, the problem is the throttle twister, not the modder.

This all IMO only!

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #6 - 07/25/12 at 16:37:51

I agree. I confess that I ride a little different ever since, meaning that is more fun now to twist the wrist. That is because the bike runs so much better. It always seems to itch to give more than actually necessary. The spacer mod and the bored out pilot jet made my bike run so much better in the lower throttle range, it is just a blast to use it. I guess that's what does it.

IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #7 - 07/25/12 at 18:55:48

Thanks to everyone for their input. There is a noticable increase in power so I will leave it as is for now. The backfire has always been manageable with the throttle before and after the mod. Slam it closed and "bang", smooth on the throttle and very little if any backfire.

The one variable I did not mention was hit on by Serowbot. I am a new rider (4 months and 1700 miles total) and now cruise at 60 when 45 used to scare the crud out of me. Some corners that used to be in 1st gear in the friction zone are now taken leaned way over in second rolling on the throttle. The next sound I hear may be me hitting something solid reminding me to be humble and ride within my limits. Undecided

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #8 - 07/26/12 at 03:14:51

Quote:
The backfire has always been manageable with the throttle before and after the mod.  Slam it closed and "bang", smooth on the throttle and very little if any backfire..

Backfiring is a result of a lean pilot circuit.  The spacer mod on the needle or main jet change have little effect on backfiring.

« Last Edit: 07/26/12 at 17:18:15 by LANCER »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:18:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › MPG after the White Spacer Modification?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.