Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Re: Struggling to start!
Reply #15 - 07/25/12 at 07:10:26

RanDaMan wrote on 07/25/12 at 06:50:58:
OH alright so with my bike off and petcock "ON" the fuel flows straight into the float bowl untill the floats trip out and shut off fuel? the stock petcock had a prime the raptor doesnt thats why i thought twisting the throttle would open up to allow gas to fill the float bowl with the absence of the prime setting.

You got it !
"Prime" was the same as "on" on the Raptor.
"Run" was the same as "off" on the Raptor (w/ engine not running)
Throttle does nothing (w/ eng not running)

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
RanDaMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
Reply #16 - 07/25/12 at 07:19:05

Routy wrote on 07/25/12 at 07:10:26:
You got it !
"Prime" was the same as "on" on the Raptor.
"Run" was the same as "off" on the Raptor (w/ engine not running)
Throttle does nothing (w/ eng not running)

Good to know! Ill be sure to run a series of tests later today for fuel flow and what not and if i can get her to start up ill adjust the fuel mixture screw in hopes of easier starting! if anyone can think of anything else that might help im all ears! Ill post up tomorrow if problems are solved.

Can anyone explain R.F's method of sarting with wd-40 or starting fluid?

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #17 - 07/25/12 at 07:26:27

I've never heard of using WD-40 as starting fluid before, I assume the propellant is what the engine is burning(probably propane) but anyways, you just spray some into the throat of the carb and try starting it.

IP Logged
RanDaMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
Reply #18 - 07/25/12 at 07:32:29

Cavi Mike wrote on 07/25/12 at 07:26:27:
I've never heard of using WD-40 as starting fluid before, I assume the propellant is what the engine is burning(probably propane) but anyways, you just spray some into the throat of the carb and try starting it.

Should this be done simultaniously? as in while spraying into the carb hit the ignition or spray some in the carb then hit the ignition? will it affect anything to have it running with no air filter?

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #19 - 07/25/12 at 09:22:23

both WD-40 and Starting fluid are more volatile then gas, so they will both help start a stubborn engine.  Just shoot a few shots into the filter and then start it. once it fires off just use throttle to keep it running till you get it warm and can adjust the idle air mix to get it to the point it stays running.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
RanDaMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
Reply #20 - 07/25/12 at 09:25:47

Alright i gotcha now! Ill give it a try when i get home today and let you know if it does the trick! Thanks.

IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #21 - 07/25/12 at 16:14:31

Randaman, start from scratch. Put it back the way is was when it started and ran good. Then do 1 mod at a time and see how it runs. You changed so many things all at once that there is no way to tell what the issue is. And while your taking things back apart, charge your battery.

His: 1987 LS650F stock except for 98 engine, Dyna muffler. Hers: 2008 S40 with factory bags, windshield and sissybar.
  IP Logged
RanDaMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
Reply #22 - 07/26/12 at 05:21:35

So yesterday i went home charged up the battery put some more gas in the tank and opened the valve on the petcock to make sure that fuel was flowing into the float bowl. It did flow but not at a very fast rate it was a steady constant trickle. I shut the valve and pulled the choke and the bike fired up!  Cheesy i adjusted the air/fuel screw (2 turns out total) i took it down the street and it feels like a completely different machine now.

My Next question is while i was riding up the road all i could here was a faint whisteling noise from my air filter sucking in air. is this normal or does that mean its not sealed properly?  Huh  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 22:18:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Struggling to start!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.