Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
new tank! (Read 513 times)
thomasoconnor19

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

new tank!
07/24/12 at 12:48:07

Just picked up this beauty on ebay - i actually am planning on just keeping the finish as is I think, unless it needs some actual work to keep it from rusting through. it is from a 1969 Suzuki T250.

Just a few questions about this thing - anyone know if I can just use my stock petcock and swap it over?
I still need to buy a new cap and emblems eventually.
Has anyone mounted this tank to a Savage frame before?

tank_001.jpg
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: new tank!
Reply #1 - 07/24/12 at 12:57:30

COOL TANK! Looks like it's not too different from the one I found; certainly looks like it takes the same emblems; I found used emblems for mine on Ebay, but I also found a source for reproduction ones:

http://kz900.com/emblems-suz.html

They aren't cheap, but neither were the used ones I found, and they were not easy to find; I had to wait quite a while for a pair to come up.

Stock Petcock probably has a completely different fitting, but most of these old tanks had a standard threaded fitting, so a lot of older petcocks should fit. If it's the same as my tank (from a '69 T350) there are lots around.
Also, I believe it's Drag Specialties that makes an aftermarket one that's universal fit for older bikes that will work. My buddy Jay gave me one of those, so I have both the old one and the new one; not sure which I'll be using. (Let me know if you have a hard time finding one; I can send you my extra...)

Oh, and get some pictures up of what it looks like on the bike! I hope it's not to hard to fit on the frame...

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #2 - 07/24/12 at 12:59:08

Reproduction Decals- tank emblems.
Pricey, but very high quality.
http://www.reproductiondecals.com/default_frameset.html?content.html~main
Go to badges, click on Suzuki, and they are near the bottom.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
thomasoconnor19

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 07/24/12 at 13:01:06

teabowl13 wrote on 07/24/12 at 12:57:30:
COOL TANK! Looks like it's not too different from the one I found; certainly looks like it takes the same emblems; I found used emblems for mine on Ebay, but I also found a source for reproduction ones:

http://kz900.com/emblems-suz.html

They aren't cheap, but neither were the used ones I found, and they were not easy to find; I had to wait quite a while for a pair to come up.

Stock Petcock probably has a completely different fitting, but most of these old tanks had a standard threaded fitting, so a lot of older petcocks should fit. If it's the same as my tank (from a '60 T350) there are lots around.
Also, I believe it's Drag Specialties that makes an aftermarket one that's universal fit for older bikes that will work. My buddy Jay gave me one of those, so I have both the old one and the new one; not sure which I'll be using. (Let me know if you have a hard time finding one; I can send you my extra...)

Oh, and get some pictures up of what it looks like on the bike! I hope it's not to hard to fit on the frame...

Yea I saw some original ones on ebay already for $100! More than the tank haha. I will be patient until I find some for a good deal...I might even try to make my own or 3d print something up haha.

You had to do quite a bit of work to the tank and the frame in order for it to fit, right? I don't have a welder and am worried about what I will need to do for this thing to fit....

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 07/24/12 at 13:07:51

I just read in your other post that that tank is from a '69 T250.
I'll bet it's nearly identical to my T350 tank from the same year; the outer shape is a little different, but the tunnel is probably similar.

I'll definitely be interested to see how you fit it onto the frame. If you go through my build thread, you'll see my so-called friend, Jay, cut my frame all up to get the tank on, but honestly, I think he went about it all wrong.

It's not a perfect fit at all, but I do think that you can get it on there and looking good by hammering in the inside of the tank to match the frame rather than doing major frame surgery. If I had to start all over now, that's definitely the route I would go. The frame surgery is now causing me more headaches in other ways... NOT the smart route if you ask me.

(Jay never told me what he was up to; he just started cutting my bike all up without telling me... In fact, he did such a lousy job, I may have to get someone else to repair what he started. Really got burned on that deal.)

I can tell you that it fits on pretty good now, and the fitment was really close even before things got cut up. One thing I was hoping for was to be able to use the Compression release solenoid, but the tunnel isn't wide enough inside for it to work (Again, maybe if I hammered at it a bit, but I'm just going to ditch it and use a manual lever instead) If anything, I imagine the T250 tank will be smaller inside than the T350, but I'm not that familiar with either bike as a whole; just the tanks!

Looking forward to see what you come up with!

IP Logged
thomasoconnor19

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 07/24/12 at 13:13:28

Yeah I'd say that if I can't get it to mount w/o cutting the frame, I'll have to move on to another tank. I like the tank that this guy used and he seemed to install it fairly easily.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1343089863

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 07/24/12 at 13:18:33

If I had to do it over again; even if I had to have someone cut out and re-weld the inside of the tank, I'd rather do surgery on the tank than on the frame. It's a lot easier to get another tank if you have to...

I still think you can do it with a ball-peen hammer, time, patience, and maybe a beer or two, without having to do any welding....

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 07/26/12 at 14:17:14

PETCOCK...
Just found the package for the petcock Jay gave me.
It's Drag Specialties par # DS390219
Late Model HD Petcock, 90 degree.

As I'm reading it, I realize that if it's for HD it's not likely to be metric. I'll have to check tonight after the baby goes to sleep to see if it really fits, or if Jay just SAYS it fits...

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #8 - 07/26/12 at 18:26:51

Late HD petcocks are 22mm or 19mm fine thread. Standard pitch to the tank bung, reverse thread pitch inside the petcock body.

Ancient metrics tended to be in that range or a very coarse whatever is basically the same as 3/8" pipe thread...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
thomasoconnor19

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 07/29/12 at 09:18:18

Anyone own a set of the Suzuki wing emblems? I am thinking of just 3d printing a set since all the ones online are pretty expensive.

If I can get a 2d scan of the emblem, I can model it up and have it printed out and I will finish them.

IP Logged
thomasoconnor19

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 07/29/12 at 21:41:34

teabowl13 wrote on 07/26/12 at 14:17:14:
PETCOCK...
Just found the package for the petcock Jay gave me.
It's Drag Specialties par # DS390219
Late Model HD Petcock, 90 degree.

As I'm reading it, I realize that if it's for HD it's not likely to be metric. I'll have to check tonight after the baby goes to sleep to see if it really fits, or if Jay just SAYS it fits...

did you have a chance to see if it fits?
i have not ordered a new petcock yet...looking to get one this week hopefully.

what are orther ones I could use that will fit this T250 tank?

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 07/29/12 at 22:10:40

PETCOCK...
IT FITS!
At least the threads do anyway; I still have to fool around with it a little; it feels like I may need to get an extra o-ring for it at the hardware store for it to properly seal; either that or I'm not quite installing it right, but it should definitely work.
The vintage petcock I have looks great, but is much fatter and hits the frame rail, so it won't go onto the tank where it's mounted to my frame.

Depending on how you mount your tank, you may have more room for it? If you do, let me know, I'll be glad to send it to you, but the DS one is only $20....

I found it here:
http://www.jpcycles.com/product/7200040

IP Logged
thomasoconnor19

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 07/29/12 at 22:38:44

teabowl13 wrote on 07/29/12 at 22:10:40:
PETCOCK...
IT FITS!
At least the threads do anyway; I still have to fool around with it a little; it feels like I may need to get an extra o-ring for it at the hardware store for it to properly seal; either that or I'm not quite installing it right, but it should definitely work.
The vintage petcock I have looks great, but is much fatter and hits the frame rail, so it won't go onto the tank where it's mounted to my frame.

Depending on how you mount your tank, you may have more room for it? If you do, let me know, I'll be glad to send it to you, but the DS one is only $20....

I found it here:
http://www.jpcycles.com/product/7200040

Know apof any that are smaller? I have not fit my tank yet but im betting having the petcock out of the way will help a lot when i try to fit tye tank.

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 07/31/12 at 06:43:55

I don't know of any that are smaller.
The back of that one comes down just about perfectly straight from where it connects to the tank, which is where the fitting issues occur; at the back of the petcock.
It's a pretty standard size fitting, so there are a lot of bikes; Japanese mostly, but Harley as well apparently, that will have petcocks that fit.
You could cruise around on Ebay, but I'm guessing your best bet is to go to a MC Salvage yard and look at them in person.

I also imagine that it would be pretty easy to fit a slightly longer tube extension down from the tank to where the petcock attaches, and you could make up your clearance that way. Might even be able to get all the parts at a good plumbing/hardware store. I've considered that route as well. You'd lose the reserve tank option if the petcock tube doesn't extend up inside of the tank, but there might be a way to extend that as well...

It's a whole lot of little fussy details to get it to work...

IP Logged
thomasoconnor19

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 08/07/12 at 22:42:27

I got the new tank and had a chance to try to see how it is going to fit.

There is definitely going to be a lot of work to be done for the tank to clear where the frame splits. I am not sure how I can hammer the tunnel of the tank without damaging the visible bottom part of it? The "seam" part of the tank seems hard to hammer in without damaging it.

This is going to be a lot of work overall to get this thing to fit on the frame. I do not have a welder yet to make new tank posts and a bracket for the rear, but I think this is the easiest part of getting this to fit. Hammering the inside of the tank is what is worrying me the most right now. This tank looks so cool that I don't want to give it up!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/03/24 at 12:31:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › new tank!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.