Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Gas Cap still Leaking - Savage Owners Stand Up! (Read 233 times)
RpNSht
Ex Member

Gas Cap still Leaking - Savage Owners Stand Up!
07/23/12 at 16:39:23

so despite my best efforts my gas cap leaks and leaks. i have replaced the gasket with a different gasket but i havent done the washer under the gasket trick.

instead i took a fellow user's lead and gave Cecil a call. after a few minutes we realized that savage owners cannot purchase the gasket on its own nor does suzuki offer a part number for this piece. so, i filed a complaint and told cecil that i was going to have all my fellow savage owners call him up to file complaints as well.

if your gas cap leaks please call Cecil and file a complaint. maybe we can get something done about these faulty caps!

call Cecil in Customer Service at 714-572-1490. Customer service representatives are available from 8:30AM to 5 PM PST.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Gas Cap still Leaking - Savage Owners Stand Up
Reply #1 - 07/23/12 at 22:38:31

Hows the surface of the tank lip the gasket ( supposedly) seats on?
When you put the key in to remove the cap, can you just turn the key or do you have to press down on the cap to relieve the pressure on the cogs that hold the cap in the tank?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Mr.Orange
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/24/12 at 17:56:24

I put a thin layer of the black gasket maker around the gasket. Let it cure and hasnt leaked a day since.

IP Logged
RpNSht
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/24/12 at 22:37:30

you guys are missing the point..... Undecided

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #4 - 07/24/12 at 22:52:04

only time my 06 leaks is when i over fill and am turning right

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 07/25/12 at 06:18:03

wheelchairstuntn wrote on 07/24/12 at 22:37:30:

I believe the problem is one of expansion.....and having a fuel cap located off center....and having a small tank that we always try to overfill.  When I put fuel in my tank the bike is leaning over on the kickstand and the fill point is at the highest.  I always try to squeeze in as much fuel as possible......most of us do so we can get 100 miles before we fill again and the fuel is right up to the bottom of the little pipe that is supposed to keep us from overfilling.  When we go to ride and bring the bike upright - the fuel level then comes up against the cap.....and as the 60 degree fuel from the underground tank expands to match the 90-100 degree air we have had this summer.....the fuel drips out of the cap or vent as it expands and sloshes around.  I have far less of a problem with this when the weather is cool.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 07/25/12 at 15:42:22

Okay, Rpn, maybe I did miss it,, toss it out again,,& be specific about the problem, too,, does it only leak when ya fill up? How are ya goin about that?

& IDK how it could possibly make a difference, but when I fill up, I slosh the gas a bit before I cap it.

AND, Can you simp[ly poke the key in & open the cap or do you have to press down some to unload the dogs that hold the cap in?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #7 - 07/26/12 at 10:00:38

OK- to re-cap (pun intended):
What I did was first make sure the seat on the tank itself is smooth.
Then I packed the stock gasket out with the Honda gasket after cutting the center out a bit on the Honda gasket so it would seat flat in the cap. I also cut a notch out of the Honda gasket so it wouldn't interfere with the venting.
If it still leaks after that (mine doesn't) you can cut spacers the same as the Honda gasket out of paper gasket material and shim it out until it doesn't leak.
I think the biggest omission when tackling this problem is most people don't smooth out the tank seat.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #8 - 07/26/12 at 10:18:11

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/25/12 at 15:42:22:
& IDK how it could possibly make a difference, but when I fill up, I slosh the gas a bit before I cap it.

JOG, sounds like "burping" the tank works for you.  Me, I just try to make sure not to overfill and I have a good homemade gasket under there, and it seems to leak ONLY when I park it in HOT sunshine when the tank is full.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #9 - 07/26/12 at 10:19:26

wheelchairstuntn wrote on 07/24/12 at 22:37:30:

Rip I agree. Working for an outdoor power equipment dealership carrying a dozen lines of equipment I see the frustration daily when a customer comes in for a part,only to be told that part is not sold by itself,only in a kit or as part of an assembly. Trouble is, many times the manufacturer does not provide the part by itself due to liability concerns(leaking fuel cap starting a fire maybe?) and only sells the complete unit to avoid possible problems. Sometimes it may boil down to profits. And sometimes it's done to meet government regs(you can't buy replacement carbs for most equipment now that have adjustment beyond idle speed).

But getting past all that.....Why pay the dealer an outragous pile of cash when the fix is sooooo much cheaper as proven by our crafty brethren here in the group!

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 07/26/12 at 20:55:42

Im Gonna ASK AGAIN

Does your cap fit so tite that you Have to PRESS DOWN to release the dogs in order to turn the key?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/10/24 at 14:40:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Gas Cap still Leaking - Savage Owners Stand Up!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.